Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

At one of the Detroit shows in October at the beginning of BOTR Rusty broke a string or something happened to his guitar. Paul said, “See, this is live!”

At one of the Rod Stewart shows I was at he blew a first line to one of the “unplugged” songs during that section, I forget which song. I remember him saying, “We can start again since we’re not miming. If you want to pay to see someone mime go see Madonna!” Ha!!

Zeki likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks! Come to think of it, I believe I'd heard that as well.

Usually it's artists who dance a lot - Britney, Madonna - who get accused of lip-synching. Much more unusual to hear that claim for old-time rockers!

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Roger Daltrey also mimes (and/or is abetted by tapes of his younger self) in a few spots.

theMess likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

I don't think having a little "help" should count. Yeah, Daltrey mimes the big scream in "Won't Get Fooled Again" and might have a little "sweetening" at other times, but he clearly sings live for essentially the whole show...

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Frankie Valli is the other one. ZZ Top in spots

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Speaking of big screams, I think Paul's got better in 2017 for this song...check it at 3:30.

7. RayS

I wasn't knocking him. I was just saying it. :)

theMess, edenofflowers and Oatsdad like this.
  8. Oatsdad

No, I get that - I just don't think what Daltrey does can really be viewed as "lip-synching". I might be wrong, but I think it's just that "WGTA" scream that he mimes...

9. RayS

From what I can tell, he uses a blend of live voice, backup singer help, and "the record" for brief moments in "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Love Reign O'er Me" and "I've Had Enough" (which only gets outings when they do "Quadrophenia" complete). That's about 10 second in 2 hours, not too shabby.

theMess, Hep Alien and Oatsdad like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I was at a show where some of the speech was canned. The recording cut out just so the artist could say the name of the city.

It made sense in the context of the show.

11. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Jump to 1:40... :D

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a possibility that Paul will be in Israel at the end of May to collect an award, so perhaps he'll take advantage of the opportunity to perform live in the region as well? His only concert in Tel Aviv was 10 years ago.

Paul McCartney awarded Wolf Prize, expected to come to Israel

Ringo will be touring Europe in June and a concert in Tel Aviv is included, so maybe something similar will be put together by Paul's team.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Just revisited this thread after a few weeks. On the lip synching issue IF it is happening I couldn’t care less. If you asked anyone in the 60s or 70s if they would pay to see PM or RD or RW in their 70s performing stadiums they would have laughed in your face. We are privileged that they love what they do enough to keep at it and their art goes:grows with them. The PM show I saw in Melbourne in December was awesome - not musically perfect but awesome. And I am not even a real fan.

theMess, Zeki, jumpinjulian and 3 others like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I see that the article on the Wolf Award makes the following statement:

"“More than a rock musician, McCartney is now regarded as a British institution,” said the Wolf Foundation. “Like warm beer and cricket, he has become part of British identity.”

So Paul = Warm Beer. ;)

[​IMG]

theMess, Paulwalrus and Hep Alien like this.
  15. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Except they are drinking lager in that shot which must, as everyone knows, be served chilled!

OptimisticGoat and Arnold Grove like this.
  16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

No miming involved in the McCartney live show, post-production sweetening at pro-shot broadcasts is another story of course. Actually, the only example of McCartney miming in live band enviroment I can think of at all is the Super Bowl in mid-00’s and the Olympics opening ceremony, the latter of course going disastrously wrong and the live feed abruptly being phoned in to save what could be saved.

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

And now it's all this!

:hide::laugh:

theMess, paolo, jwb1231970 and 2 others like this.
  18. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Now, we're just waiting for an open letter from Roger Waters...

19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

"Two lagers & lime and two lagers & lime.":)

theMess, paolo and mad man with a box like this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

One of my all time fave Wings songs! McCartney should have been performing it many years earlier!

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I saw the show in Wichita a couple of nights after the OKC show and for at least the first half of the show he sounded considerably stronger than the past couple of shows I've seen (a year or two back.)

theMess, Hep Alien and susyredstripe like this.
  22. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

https://www.teledoce.com/telemundo/...artney-apunta-a-una-tercera-visita-a-uruguay/

This Uruguay network is saying that Paul is coming back no South America in September of this year.
    Montevideo, Santiago, Lima and Porto Alegre(??) are the cities they said Paul will probably be playing.
    Obs: I think its pretty unlikely Paul will be returning to Porto Alegre so soon, he played there on last October
    Edit : Paul already said he made a song about Brazil, which will ~probably~ appear in his next album, maybe he wants to debut that song live in the Southern lands of America.

theMess and 5th-beatle like this.
  23. 5th-beatle

Obrigado pelo link, it's an interesting rumor. As you know, his previous shows in Buenos Aires (May 2016) and Porto Alegre (October 2017) have been rather recently, so I doubt he would return so soon to those two areas.

You could argue that the 2016 shows were actually in La Plata, but it's still just one hour away by car from Buenos Aires.

I do agree about the possibility of Montevideo, Santiago and Lima, as his last concerts in those cities were back in 2014.

theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  24. 5th-beatle

theMess likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^The $$$ draws Paul back to South America once again. Paul is definitely maximizing his profits by touring there---probably the best, most favorable crowds nowadays too for Paul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.