Paul McCartney's "Out There" Tour (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

2. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Off to Columbia, SC in June - excited as always but ouch re my poor wallet! But as this really could be the last time I get to see him, no complaints whatsoever. It'll be a great couple of days!

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Now if I were giving my first choice for him to add to his setlist, it would be a version of 4 5 Seconds. I love love love that song!

And it's so huge my 2nd graders tell me their whole class is spontaneously singing it at recess (and they get to proudly tell their classmates that they go see their dad perform it - I'll be doing it again tonight :) )

JDeanB, bababooey and forthlin like this.
  4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Is it just me, or does he look a lot healthier than he has in the past few years? That Angela Lansbury look seems to have subsided.

Brother Maynard and ConnieGuitar like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Dunno about that-will all due respect I think dear old Paul looks slightly mumified.

6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

7. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

Yep - can't keep a good mullet down! Or should I say, you can't keep a good mullet up?

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

NME has an exclusive footage from the show, which shows the big man in action, with live clips of Macca's renditions of 'Can't Buy Me Love' and his solo song 'Save Us' from 2013's 'New' album. It also features emotive interviews with his dedicated Japanese fanbase, including a giddy chat with a woman who attended the Budokan Beatles gig in the 1960s after bunking off school. Watch the clip below.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/...k-to-make-beatles-history-watch-what-happened

Simon A, coffeetime, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  9. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I think Paul looked/sounded great. I'm glad he is doing what he wants, and is still 'Out There' doing it.

I can't wait for that broadcast to get on YouTube(or maybe a blu-ray/CD which I know it not happening) for the great audio!

JDeanB, 5th-beatle and heatherly like this.
  10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I think we may just have to get used to the fact that what we have, in effect, is two separate Paul McCartneys these days. Paul the recording act is still exploring new directions and new musical territory, from Fireman to ballet scores to tracks like "Appreciate" to Kanye collaborations, etc. Like these things or not, the guy is not afraid to stick his neck out when he's in the studio. Paul the performer is absolutely dedicated to giving the masses what they want, and what they want is Beatles with a sprinkling of major Wings hits. I don't like it, and I probably won't see Paul again because of it, but I refuse to let it drive me crazy.

supermd, Troyh, heatherly and 7 others like this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I've been thinking the same thing lately.

John Grimes likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So if anyone got 3 or more $29.50 McCartney Philly tix and wished they instead had gotten $99 tix, please PM me and we can work something out, cause I'd rather have cheaper seats that would let me afford to bring my kids.

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Shut out from the C-Ville pre-sale... Why does the ticket business have to be so darn complicated?

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul arrives in South Korea for his show tomorrow (May 2):

[​IMG]

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Who thinks he could break out Be Bip Bop for this show?

ConnieGuitar and theMess like this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Well, it was #1 in South Korea for 3 years running and sold over 600,000,000 copies to become his most successful song in the country so I can't imagine him not playing it. It's good news he's not going anywhere near North Korea though as the Kim Jong Un hates the song, and the whole Wild Life album in fact, and has banned it.

supermd, bopdd, JDeanB and 4 others like this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I love this comment so much that I am almost sad that it is not true. :D:laugh:

supermd, JDeanB, Dr. Pepper and 4 others like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have been watching some of the clips on Youtube, and although his voice was not consistently strong throughout his entire concerts so far, he has certainly delivered some very good performances.

I especially enjoyed the great performance of Another Girl; it is amazing that an album track that rarely gets mentioned, released in 1965, got large applause the second he started playing it. It shows you how immensely strong his catalogue is. I also thought that his Budokan performance of Here Today was moving and mostly strong, and I enjoyed seeing him play One After 909 again.

I hope that he plays at least one other never performed song for his SK show; maybe 'Martha My Dear', which he sound-checked last year?

20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree, I just don't understand why he doesn't play the occasional small show made up of solo material for the more hardcore fans, or have one 'slot' on the set list each night where he plays a more obscure solo song.

For instance, he suggested that he wanted to perform the entire New album at some point; why didn't he then? At his pop-up mini-show in Covent Garden he only played songs from New; why not just perform the whole album?

21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would also be happy for him to play the song, but only if he adapted the lyrics. Apparently the song did not originally feature Rihanna, and it seems that some of Paul's original vocals were sped-up and included on the released version. Maybe Paul could sing the song with those original lyrics? It would then go nicely in the acoustic guitar slot alongside the likes of the other recent addition 'Hope For The Future'.

I can imagine Rusty, Abe and Brian adding some nice harmonies to the song.

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'll never agree with the thought that people wouldn't show up to see McCartney perform his Wings/solo music.

The millions of Wings fans haven't just vanished off the face of the Earth.

I think he would just trade one audience for another, there are tons of fans who love his Wings/solo music, and there would still be tons of those who haven't seen him before and would want to. Also there's a whole generation who grew up with that music.

23. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

He played the piano intro of 'Martha My Dear' very briefly during the reh. at Budokan. So it could be possible.

theMess likes this.
  24. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You guys really want him hanging around on that high "A" on "look what you've done"? Man alive.

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

That's a song I'd like to hear live!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.