Paul Revere and The Raiders- The Action years 1965-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans here of this lineup of the Raiders ? I grew with up with the ABC-tv series of "Where the Action is" from
    1965 to 1967. Although very primitive by today's standards, as a kid i thought it was the coolest show going. I would watch it after school and it was on Monday thru Friday, so practically they were on tv almost 5 times a week. The hit songs " Steppin Out", "Just like Me", "Kicks", "Hungry" and "Good Thing" and 4 albums were recorded during this time with the lineup of Mark Lindsay, Paul Revere, Drake Levin, Mike "Smitty" Smith, Phil "Fang" Volk and Jim "Harpo" Valley. Back then, i didn't keep up with 16 magazine or Tiger Beat, but sometimes bought Hit Parader and i didn't find out about the lineup change till the end of '67, when Mark Lindsay and Paul Revere brought out the latest version of The Raiders on "Happening" on ABC and i was shocked to find out that Harpo, Smitty and Fang were no longer there. I lost interest in The Raiders after that after being so familar with the "Action" lineup for 2 years straight, 5 times a week.

Headfone, Rickchick, mlew and 5 others like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here. If I recall, "Where The Action Is" was back to back with "Dark Shadows", so you'd go from people doing the swim on the beach to "Steppin' Out" to Barnabas Collins getting all gothic in the afternoon. Loved it.

3. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

I wasn't around during the '60s, and have only fully gotten into the Raiders during the last decade, but I have noticed I've never seen any of those TV shows and wish they were easily available to watch, like the Monkees shows are.

t-man 54 likes this.
  4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

That was a great era for them. A question about the "Action" tv show: I have a memory of watching that show in the morning before heading out to school--maybe around 7:30AM. Does this sound right to anyone? Was this a syndicated show that could air at the discretion of the local affiliate? I think I watched it after school for a while but that it might have switched slots at some point. I think the first album I had from them was Greatest Hits from '67, what a great bunch of songs.

pablo fanques and t-man 54 like this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

If you do a search of Paul Revere and the Raiders, you will find a number of threads discussing this great group and its classic lineup of Paul, Mark, Drake, Fang and Smitty. As I recall, Where the Action Is was a syndicated ABC show that aired in the afternoon (right after school!). Essential Ride is a Columbia CD package of all the best stuff!

t-man 54, MoonPool and forthlin like this.
  6. t-man 54

I've read somewhere that some local affiliates had different time slots for the show, but i seem to remember in my neck of the woods ( WZZM-tv Channel 13 Grand Rapids, Mich.) that the show came on at 4:30 pm right after Dark Shadows, so i really do not think it was a syndicated show. I think it was part of the regular ABC afternoon lineup. I tried to get some information from the company that now owns Dick Clark Productions about a year ago, but they never answered my email. The question i have though is, did the show actually stop in March of '67 and continued with reruns till September of that year or was the time slot given to the local affilates right away in March ? If it did continue in re-runs till Septemeber, that probably was why i was confused on the Raiders lineup change.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    forthlin likes this.
  7. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I like the Raiders pretty much all the way through, although they definitely hit their creative stride between 1965-70.

Rickchick and t-man 54 like this.
  8. pickwick33

There are a number of Where The Action Is performances on YouTube.

t-man 54 likes this.
  9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Of course that's the classic lineup of Paul Revere and the Raiders, and they made a lot of truly great records.

I know there've been a lot of threads about them through the years, but has anyone definitively established which of their hits The Raiders themselves played on, and at what point studio musicians started appearing?

I'm pretty certain "Steppin' Out" and "Just Like Me" are all Raiders, but what about after that? There's no doubt the band could cut the mustard themselves, but did the producers start displacing them in time?

t-man 54 likes this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe that under Terry Melcher's and later Mark Lindsay's production, it was always a mix of the two. I know that "I had a Dream" is the first single without any Raiders playing, but they seemed to have done most of the playing in the Weller/Allison era (Paul usually didn't play, but there weren't many keys anyway). There are people who post here that know all the details.

Hep Alien and t-man 54 like this.
  11. t-man 54

As far as i know, there were no studio musicians till "The Spirit of '67."
    Harpo in an interview claims he plays guitar on the album, along with Jerry Cole and Drake Levin. Van Dyke Parks was a guest. Also, Keith Allison was a guest on Midnight Ride , The spirit of '67 and Revolution. The liner notes to Revolution mention session musicians but Drake Levin is on a couple of cuts (maybe more), but Fang claims to have played Bass on half the album, but he goes uncredited on the now sounds cd liner notes, so who knows. I've heard Paul Revere does not play any keyboards on Midnight, Spirit and Revolution but that it is Keith Allison.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. pickwick33

On the back cover of 1969's Hard & Heavy With Marshmallow, every member is credited with an assortment of odd, eclectic instruments, although I don't know how much of that is false information.

As for "I Had A Dream," that organ player is way too soulful to be Paul Revere, who had a very stiff ragtime sound on the keyboards.

t-man 54 likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I know that Keith plays every instrument on "Time After Time" save the drums.

Hep Alien and t-man 54 like this.
  14. t-man 54

I also forgot to add that Hal Blaine plays the drums on the singles Kicks, Hungry, Good Thing, Ups and Downs and Him or Me ( along with Jim Gordon )

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Ry Cooder is all over Revolution.

16. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Love this period! For me their golden period started with 'Sometimes' which was a B-side in early '65 that came out before 'Just Like Me'. Almost all of their A sides from this period (Just Like Me through Him Or Me) are exceptional. Their 3 lp's from the period (Midnight Ride, Spirit Of '67, Revolution) have a lot a great album tracks and of course some forgettable clunkers. I was in 5th grade back in '66 when they were at their peak. I didn't know anyone who watched Action after school or ever talked about the Raiders but they certainly were in almost every issue of magazines like 16. The TV show brought them popularity and fame but was ultimately their doom especially after the Monkees came along. They were never considered a serious group (despite a couple of great attempts like the later Happening and Collage lp's). It's likely their hit Indian Reservation would have never made #1 without the name change shortened to 'The Raiders', according to Mark Lindsay in an article in Ugly Things magazine.

pablo fanques and t-man 54 like this.
  17. pickwick33

And he's credited on the back of Hard & Heavy ("Ryland Cooder").

pablo fanques likes this.
  18. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

When their first album came out (when I was 15) it blew me away. Since it was Columbia,
    the stereo studio tracks sounded simply amazing. (They were the first rock group signed to
    Columbia, since prior to that A & R boss Mitch Miller hated rock and roll).
    And the second side was all live. And it showed just how great of a rock and roll band
    they really were. It blew me away.
    [​IMG]
    And Sundazed issued an expanded 2 disc version of it some years back
    with additional tracks called "Mojo Workout", a simply remarkable release.
    [​IMG]

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Quick question for Raiders experts:
    Have the Spanish versions of "I Had A Dream" and "Mo'reen" had an official digital release?

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

definitely NOT the first album---check the Sande or Gardena LPs

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I know for sure that Mo'reen hasn't. Not sure if I Had a Dream turned up somewhere.

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  22. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

That line-up was my first rock concert ever! It was a very "Vegas-y" type show that seemed like their set lasted about 40 minutes!

t-man 54 likes this.
  23. RaiderRooter1967Gmail.com

RaiderRooter1967Gmail.com Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.