Paul Rodger's Free Spirit

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenalishi, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real Thread Starter

Lurgan Lad and zphage like this.
  2. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Well I’m all over this. Thanks

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nice! Just listened to Bad Company tonight...so I’m ready!

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered this with the Buffalo Springfield Complete Albums box set. I saw the Birmingham gig which was fantastic. Worth every penny of the ticket price as I’m sure this CD/DVD will be.

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

My AutoRip from Amazon showed up today. Listening now on headphones from my iPad and it's sounds pretty good. Rodgers is in great voice and the band sound excellent without over blowing things. Guitarist Pete Bullick does a pretty good Kossoff impression. Koss was one of the greats but this is a good souvenir for me as I didn't see the tour

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Paul has always had one of the sexiest male voices in rock/pop/blues...Dang I love hearing him, and Ann Wilson too?????!! Woof!! Be still my heart!

Greenalishi and Bob_Rush like this.
  7. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Another Classic voice like James Dewar and Greg Allman.
    Glad to see Free get the respect it deserves.

Lurgan Lad, MYQ1, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Rodgers still has the pipes and the guitarist does a tasteful "Koss" tribute on his Les Paul. I enjoyed it.

I wish they would have added some of the other tracks played on the tour but not at this show as bonus tracks.

One of the set list sites lists the following songs as also being played on the tour but they were not on the release.

Come Together In The Morning
    Soon I Will Be Gone
    Songs Of Yesterday
    Crossroads
    I'm A Mover
    Money

Zeki, Greenalishi and slipkid like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Nice. Glad I saw this, just downloaded a hi-rez copy, be interested to hear about the vinyl.
    Despite the polish of the later albums, Tons of Sobs just hits a sweet spot for me-- there is something raw and under-produced about that record that I find very appealing. In the same vein as Black Cat Bones-Barbed Wire Sandwich, a precursor band (which didn't have the benefit of Rodger's killer vocals).
    You know that Free was Ronnie Van Zandt's inspiration for the sound Lynyrd Skynyrd developed?
    Guy Stevens, who produced Tons of Sobs, was apparently a mad genius. Also died from general excess. Kossoff was amazing at his ability to play within the song- he never overplayed, at least on the early Free stuff. What a great band they were.

Greenalishi and Renz like this.
  10. Gotta get a copy of this one. Nothing better than a live Paul Rodgers CD without "Feel Like Makin' Love" on it. :D

Free were such an incredibly underrated band. How is it that we only ever heard "All Right Now" here in the States, while songs like "Wishing Well" never got airplay at all (that I can remember). I was born in '69, and I can't remember hearing any Free (save for "All Right Now") on the radio in the 80's. Not even on St. Louis' own K*SHE95, which was renown for playing at least some deeper stuff.

parkmebike, Greenalishi and John Fell like this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Listening to this now on CD. Really loving it, more than I had anticipated. Don't like
    the annoying breaks between tracks, though. And I still don't know who this Deborah
    Bonham is and why she would have a band to lend to Paul Rodgers.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The clue is in the name - she is John Bonham's sister. Not sure why Paul is using her band but she did play at the Free Convention in the UK 3 years ago.

Greenalishi and mtvgeneration like this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Am listening to this for the first time now. Wish I knew about the godawful 2 second gaps between tracks or whatever it is b4 I bought it because if I had known I would not have bought it. Totally ruins the continuity of a live concert. Extremely annoying and completely ruins the experience for me. Buyer beware. In the old days I would have extracted the audio then edited it right and reburned it but I have no time for that anymore so instead I will either sell it or put it in the trash where it belongs. If I had not had this sitting around for a couple months b4 having time to listen to it I would return it & demand a refund. Certainly not worth taking up any valuable storage space in my collection....sigh...

Greenalishi and savemenow like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The show I saw last month had seven of 'em, which ain't bad.

Greenalishi and Rooster_Ties like this.
  15. no time

no time Forum Resident

Listening to this concert I have taken a great nostalgia, so I listened to Mr. Big from "Fire And Water" and I immediately felt better.

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just replying to myself.....4got to say how GREAT a show this is, the backing band really captures the Free sound on both bass & guitar to my ears and Paul's voice is tremendous. Making this misfire of an editing/mastering trainwreck that much harder to swallow. Could have been one of my favorite Paul live albums but instead it just gets me mad. I am very cranky after working another 72 hour workweek (twice in 3 weeks) so please excuse my orneryness about this...

Greenalishi and pmc7070 like this.
  17. Greenalishi

Very lucky people who got to see Paul live. I would love to see him. Just such a great singer. The Free stuff is just otherworldly good to me. One of my favorite bands.

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Dec.17 : Paul Rodgers' 69th birthday. :cheers:

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. Greenalishi

Congrats Paul. Still has the voice man. One of the best to ever pick up a mike. I love Free so much! Rock on Paul!

GoodKitty likes this.
  20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Apparently Deborah Bonham and the guitarist in the Free Spirit band have a relationship
    which explains why she was on this past summer tour. But that doesn't explain why I had
    never heard of her before - she was terrific.

21. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Does anyone have the vinyl version of this? Does it also have the silent space between tracks? That's a deal breaker for me.

22. Wait, the track-space (silent-space) issue is on the CD itself - ???(!!) :eek:

(I thought the prior poster was saying that was a problem with their download, or something.)

Please tell me the CD doesn't have gap-between-track issues. That'd be unconscionable.

23. Trace

Trace Senior Member

That is my understanding. I could be wrong, I don't own it.

24. OMG, that's horrific. I hope that's not true, but looking back again, I'm afraid it just might be.

Can anyone confirm?

25. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yeah, I don't want to shell out $30 for the vinyl if that's how it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.