New Paul Simon album "In The Blue Light" coming September 7, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

There was also a great concert video that came out at the time...

YouTube Paul Simon 1980 One Trick Pony:

Rickchick, Hep Alien, theMess and 4 others like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

That whole show should be released. It's light years better than his live album from that period. The second shot at The Coast is wonderful.

3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

Having heard and loved the Unplugged show for years I did notice it's coming out "unofficially" in the UK.

MikaelaArsenault and linclink like this.
  4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Noted and bought. Thanks!

5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

Let me know how it sounds. My order is traveling over the Atlantic Ocean right now.

6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

"One Trick Pony" is a great album. I really love the film too. An excellent yet very misunderstood movie; legendary film critic Roger Ebert really liked it!
    The remaster sounds wonderful and gives you the cool song "Soft Parachutes" (that was Jonah's 60's 'hit' in the film)
    You also get 2 songs from the album with different titles and lyrics (but they're no improvements on Oh Marion or How The Heart Approaches What It Yearns)

Hep Alien, theMess, smilin ed and 2 others like this.
  7. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I love "One Trick Pony" and "Hearts and Bones." Probably my favorite Simon albums. I have not seen the movie in a long time but I remember enjoying it. Paul Simon is a very wry fellow.

Rickchick likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I would like to hear an older Paul Simon covering the young Paul Simon's Run That Body Down, I think that would be interesting!

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

''When I asked him for an example, his first was “Night Game,” the dark baseball tale on Still Crazy After All These Years.''

I love that song just the way it is, and i don't even like baseball.

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

he should recover that unknown song of his "The Sound of Silence"!

11. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I love that bit in the airport where someone says "Hare Krishna" to Jonah and he says "Harry Chapin" back to him...

Dr-Sardonicus and Hep Alien like this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Not a good idea

MikaelaArsenault and Jackson like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anyone catch him on Colbert (tonight). Sounds like this project (rerecordings) is DEFINITELY a thing. Almost done, perhaps?

Johnny Reb, theMess, MRamble and 3 others like this.
  14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

You are not alone.

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Absolutely my favorite solo album of his. I just purchased the DVD of the movie, and was watching it tonight. Great live performances and Lou Reed

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just watched it this morning, very nice. With a tour starting next week you'd think he'd want to get the album out.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I forgot about the unplugged set...wow! And I love One Trick Pony, too...he had a stellar cast of players on that record. I'd love to see the complete October 1980 Tower Theatre (Philadelphia) concert on 2 discs. Bill Inglot told me he wanted to include material from that as bonus tracks on the 2004 One Trick Pony remaster but that was rejected.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You're definitely not alone. Jonah is worth the price of admission on its own.

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

There's a live album and DVD about to come out from his one of his 'recent' Graceland shows.

20. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Great songs on this album. One Trick Pony and Ace in the Hole are two favorites. With the great band he had assembled, I find the music back to basics and well arranged. The movie was a bomb, but anyone I've played it for who isn't a die hard fan has enjoyed it. Quite the curio to look back on.

smilin ed and Hep Alien like this.
  21. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

supermd, theMess, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Both these projects sound promising though I'm more interested in the Alternate Tunings album. This sounds like a "Paul Simon Songbook Vol. II' with much the same relationship to the later 'band' versions of his songs as Vol. I had back when he started out in the 60's.

supermd and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Don't know about better than Graceland but One Trick Pony is a great album.I always thought Still Crazy was an uneven album and the weaker tracks on it were well below the standard of anything on the first 2 solo albums(the top 3-4 songs are totally killer of course).In those far off pre internet days when One Trick Pony came out I had nobody's opinion but my own for a few weeks and I fell in love with it.Same thing happened with Hearts And Bones.By the time all the criticism of album and movie was happening it was too late to ever affect my opinion of the album.
    Looking forward to the new project.

24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Totally agree. Are you sure it’s you writing this and not me? :)

The One Trick Pony film, on the other hand, is Paul Simon’s Give My Regards To Broad Street. (Maybe, given the timing, it’s the other way around.)

25. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

Hi!

Paul announced a new album coming in September during his concert in Oslo, Norway on July 1. I've been trying to find any information online, but without luck.

Please share any information available!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.