Paul Simon - Homeward Bound Farewell Tour - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmccartneyistheman, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seems to be no mention of this, and no announcement has been made BUT..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My local paper, the Greensboro News & Record. So I assume a formal announcement sometime this week, I hope to score tickets! He's my 2nd favorite Paul!

KayNicole, Johnny Reb and MRamble like this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Wow. So it's official now. A farewell tour. Let's hope he keeps writing and recording.

3. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

He’ll probably take up a Vegas residency....

melstapler likes this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ll be seeing this tour. His last two albums were completely unexpected. For him to have the kind of commercial and critical success he is enjoying at his age is fantastic.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m sure he’ll continue. Stranger to Stranger was no. 1 in the UK, no. 3 in the US, which is great for a challenging, expansive album. I think he is just retiring from touring, like Clapton has.

theMess, mark ab and Stone Turntable like this.
  6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I'll be attending the Hyde Park show - third time I've seen him there (Graceland album show and S&G)

7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I'm doing the Hyde Park gig too , some line up !
    Went all out for the Diamond area.
    If anyone else on here is maybe we could all say hello on the day?

peace and love✌Dave

8. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I went Diamond as well. I hope to be on the barrier or thereabouts.

Diamond area seems to be sold out now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Beaneydave likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ll be there as well. The big question is how many of us will be going to Bruno Mars the night before? I’m guessing that there is little overlap between the two shows.

Beaneydave likes this.
  10. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Tour dates now available on Paul's official site.

Dublin on 13 July with same line-up as Hyde Park.

11. tbone

tbone Forum Resident

No New York dates. Could the "after this coming tour, I anticipate doing the occasional performance in a (hopefully) acoustically pristine hall, and to donate those earnings to various philanthropic organizations, particularly those whose objective is to save the planet, ecologically" be reserved for New York?

MsMaclen likes this.
  12. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

I'll be going to the Nashville show. I wonder what the VIP packages will be. No info yet on ticketmaster.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

C'mon - 2 very short and very talented musicians back to back? Gotta get the same crowd! :D

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm on the email list for Simon's PR reps and I checked the announcement - nothing there. It's pretty superficial, really...

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And now Neil Diamond.

16. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

Edited to add - @Marry a Carrot beat me to the punch

Just posted on Facebook...

Paul Simon

I've often wondered what it would feel like to reach the point where I'd consider bringing my performing career to a natural end. Now I know: it feels a little unsettling, a touch exhilarating, and something of a relief. . I love making music, my voice is still strong, and my band is a tight, extraordinary group of gifted musicians. I think about music constantly. Sadly, we lost our lead guitarist and my friend of 30 years, Vincent N'guini, who died last December. His loss is not the only reason I've decided to stop touring, but it is a contributing factor. Mostly, though, I feel the travel and time away from my wife and family takes a toll that detracts from the joy of playing. I'd like to leave with a big Thank You to the many folks around the world who've come out to watch me play over the last 50 years. . After this coming tour, I anticipate doing the occasional performance in a (hopefully) acoustically pristine hall, and to donate those earnings to various philanthropic organizations, particularly those whose objective is to save the planet, ecologically. . Once again, I am very grateful for a fulfilling career and, of course, most of all to the audiences who heard something in my music that touched their hearts. — Paul Simon

Irish-Matti, theMess, Tord and 2 others like this.
  17. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

After Garfunkel’s nasty comments I’m doubting he will be making any appearances.

melstapler likes this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Paul Simon can do whatever he wants, God bless him, but any artist still in good health and voice who undertakes a farewell tour is a bit like the famous quote from St. Augustine, "Oh Lord, give me chastity, but do not give it yet." The upshot down the line is worthy of a certain skepticism.

[​IMG]

10 'Farewell' Tours That Didn't Stick

melstapler, Rickchick and JoeRockhead like this.
  20. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Yeah, with Edie Brickell waiting at home, the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland would be less inviting.

21. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I saw him last summer - it was a fantastic. Glad I went since the Farewell Tour won't be hitting my town.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Goodbye Paul. I saw Graceland and Saints tours and they blew my mind. Married now, and tix can put a dent in our living expenses.

23. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Yes, but he truly seemed to be enjoying himself at the Nautica Pavilion in Cleveland last summer - maybe it was the setting on the Cuyahoga River. He got some nice Cavs and Knicks jokes in as well.

24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I saw the "Summer Night" tour he did in 1983 with that other dude. One of the first concerts I attended, a great show and certainly a bargain by today's standards. Wasn't planning to see PS again, but still the end of an era.

The Panda likes this.
  25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I find utterly amazing that people(mostly in USA) wont go to a concert because the gig isnt coming to the exact town they live in. Myself and hundreads of others in South America, Australia and NZ, Africa and Asia, have to travel sometimes hundreads of kilometers(if we got lucky the artist is coming in a city relatively near us <300 Km maybe?2 hour flight?>). I get the feeling people in north America doesnt realize how lucky they are that every major artist and bands in the world will go to their country to tour in dozens of cities, where trains and car travel are minimum.
    I wish I could take a 3 hour car drive to see Paul Simon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.