Paul Stanley - best and worst vocals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jul 2, 2012.

1. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

Inspired by the discussion on the current state of Paul's voice - why don't we start a thread about Paul as a singer? I mean the guy has (had?) a great voice, one of rock's most powerful and recognizable singers who, for some weird reason is never mentioned among the greats. Also Paul's voice changed drastically several times throughout his career. What were his best and worst vocal performances in the studio?

2. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The song is a little cheesy, but "Forever" is a pretty powerful vocal performance from Paul.

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Two of my favorites are "C'mon and Love Me" and "I Want You."

But his vocals are painfully grating to me on things like "Tears Are Falling" or "Heaven's on Fire."

4. JA Fant

JA Fant New Member

I have always liked his solo album from the 70's.

5. intv7

intv7 Forum Resident

A fantastic Paul Stanley vocal can be found on "It Never Goes Away", from the criminally underrated Carnival Of Souls.

"I Still Love You" is an obvious one, I think -- and although I'm not totally behind the direction they took on Crazy Nights, that album features some of Paul's finest singing -- stuff like "I'll Fight Hell To Hold You" and "My Way", even if they're not the greatest songs, really show what a great vocal talent he was at that point in time.

As far as his worst is concerned, well, just listen to any live performance from the past 3 years or so. As far as studio recordings go, I don't think he sounded awful on Sonic Boom, but his voice wasn't at its best. He sounds pretty rough on the new single ("Hell Or Hallelujah"), too.

6. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this is vague (but it has been nearly 30 years since I heard 'em) but I remember being perplexed by the sound of his voice on a string of metal albums from the mid 80s - Animalize and so forth - but I think it was the mixes that bothered me rather than the performances. And then they kind of went a bit "commercial" again around "Hide Your Heart" and I thought they sounded great again. Very vague memories. Obviously haven't heard anything recent enough to notice a deterioration but I guess it gets everybody in the end, particularly when they push themselves to the limit. As far back as I can remember he SCREAMED while talking between the songs and I always thought that can't be too good for the voice. The voice (in general) is certainly an intriguing and puzzling instrument. I just had throat surgery and my boom is currently a whisper! Never had a problem in 33 years of singing and now I can't talk. Reminds me of the section in the George Harrison movie when he toured in '74. What the hell do you do when the shows are booked? You can't just cancel and say "I'm sick". Promoters will sue and so forth and the fans will be pissed. Seems like a no-win situation for the artist.

7. DannyG

DannyG Member

I Still Love You is a favorite of mine.

8. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Active Member

Pretty much anything from the 70's for me. Love his voice. He sang great in the 80;s too until he tried to go as high as possible and it became a little too much. Very weak on Sonic Boom. I don't think he can sing as well anymore but then again, how many singers from that time can? Robert Plant's dissapeared ages ago.

9. intv7

intv7 Forum Resident

Absolutely. Kills me to think of how much unnecessary strain he has put on his voice with all his over-the-top banter on stage. It got really bad around the time of the reunion tour ('96), where he started singing intros to songs "We got a little numbaaa for ya noooowwwwwwwwwwwww". He probably did more damage to his vocal cords introducing songs than he ever did actually singing them.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Forum Resident

Yes. Probably his best vocals on Love in Chains.

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

His stage banter is hilarious. Check out the Crazy Nights concert on Kissology vol 2. My favorite Stanley vocal is Reason to Live.

12. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

I always felt that there were several eras of Paul's voice - the 73-77 voice, very raw and primitive. The 78-82 voice - more full bodied, beautiful velvety midrange, great falsetto. It's obvious he took some vocal lessons before his solo album. His voice on Alive II was so raw he sure needed it. On His vocals on Unmasked and The Elder are absolutely amazing.
    From Creatures on Paul got into more hysterical mode developing his voice even further with a lot of high range vocalizing. That's what I call his third, or 80's voice - served him great throughout the hair metal era. Wit 90's he got raspier and lower again and it was downhill from there.

13. hutlock

hutlock Forum Resident

I assume someone here is familiar with the famous boot CD of Paul Stanley stage banter entitled, People Let Me Get This Off My Chest? It's a MUST OWN. Something like 100 tracks of nothing but stage banter. Glorious.

I'd post the cover art, but I think promoting boots is frowned upon. Suffice to say you all should google it though.

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul took voice lessons before his Phantom debut in 1995 (I think that was the year). His voice is probably at it's peak at the Unplugged show. I Still Love You and Sure Know Something gives me chills.
    Some of my favorite vocals:
    Love Her All I Can
    Do You Love Me
    I Want You
    Goodbye
    Take Me Away
    Sure Know Something
    Is That You?
    A Million To One
    Thrills In The Night
    Tears Are Falling
    I'll Fight Hell To Hold You
    Hide Your Heart
    Heart of Chrome
    Jungle
    I Will Be There

So many!

15. hutlock

hutlock Forum Resident

My favorites:

C'Mon and Love Me
    Detroit Rock City/King of the Nighttime World
    Mr. Speed
    Sure Know Something

16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Lewis Allan Reed

Awesome selections my friend. :thumbsup:

For an 80's choice my pick would be Tears Are Falling.

17. jeffrey walsh

18. hutlock

hutlock Forum Resident

19. jeffrey walsh

Maybe Paul isn't so bad, eh? :laugh:

20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The song was way cheesy and very commercial, but there is no doubting that Paul's voice was impressive in that performance.

21. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

What?! That song's amazing!

...and how is being commercial a bad thing? :confused:

22. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

Take me away
    Hold me Touch Me
    Sure know something
    Magic Touch
    Is that you?
    Shandi
    Just a Boy
    The Oath
    Odyssey
    Nowhere to Run
    Thrills in the night

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh: I take everything back...don't hire this guy to replace Paul in KISS 2.0

24. liveshowz

liveshowz Active Member

Unplugged performance
    and...

The Whole 'Live To Win' album...

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

My intial thought reading your post was yeah it is but then I realized if Bruce Springsteen wrote and sang this it would be a huge song. It's the Kiss stigma.

I was just basing it on vocals alone yes.