Paul Stanley Is Now a Singer in a Soul Music Cover Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cungar, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

There's a lot of people to pay in the entertainment business. Paul gets paid, everyone in the band gets paid, sound guys, lighting guys, the guys that drive the trucks, promoters, accountants, the venue gets paid, everyone at the venue gets paid including door people, security, bartenders, the list goes on and on. If you ask me, $70 for a ticket is cheap!

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

And yet somehow the typical club show doesn't cost 70 bucks to get in. And you aren't counting what the bar is taking in, which probably covers every expense you listed and then some.

This is the club in my neighborhood and it's one of the biggest drawing clubs in the world. Tickets are almost never anywhere near 70 bucks. This show is 30 bucks and includes a buffet dinner, t-shirt and a dvd.

http://www.starlandballroom.com/events/detail/276630

Ace Frehley - 30 bucks.

http://www.starlandballroom.com/events/detail/279447

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Didn't you know that Paul Stanley is Stevie Nicks...
    (5:49)

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Nose.

5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If you think a band dressing up like scary clowns in order to get press attention was bizarre, wait til he breaks out the greasepaint to sing Aretha songs.

dadonred likes this.
  6. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

dadonred likes this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Unless someone has first hand experience in the entertainment business, which I do, I can see where it may be difficult to comprehend everything that goes into putting on a show. I just hope Paul is making sure his band, the road crew, and everyone else involved is well paid, which translates into the ticket price. If you feel $70 is too much to see a national act, then you certainly don't have to buy a ticket. We all have different experiences and expectations. I respect your opnion, no argument here.

9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I do have experience, but that's irrelevant. The proof is in the pudding - most national touring acts charge far under 70 bucks and they make money. Your point seemed to be that 70 bucks is necessary because "There's a lot of people to pay in the entertainment business." I apologize if I misunderstood your post. I was merely pointing out that while there are a lot of people to pay, somehow they get paid without tickets costing 70 bucks. Paul is charging 70 because he can get it and that's fine with me. I'd rather watch a Time Life infomercial selling a soul music collection than see Paul Stanley sing soul tunes. I would go for free and leave in 20 minutes.

dadonred likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:laugh:

11. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Personally I'd love to hear Paul do KISS songs but rearrange them Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Revue style.

Paul Stanley, KISS and Bob Dylan in one sentence, where's my prize?:shtiphat:

dadonred and elgoodo like this.
  12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kiss' Paul Stanley Croons Unadorned R&B Classics at Soul Station Debut
    "These songs mean a lot to us," said Kiss singer of vintage favorites by Temptations, Al Green and others

By Steve Appleford September 12, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Paul Stanley's Soul Station made their public debut last night at L.A.'s Roxy Theatre. Theonepointeight

LOTS of background singers up there

There were no fireworks or kabuki makeup, no lightning bolts or platform heels, but Paul Stanley of Kiss found some genuine emotional power in a set of classic Sixties and Seventies R&B Friday night at the Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles. It was the first public performance of Paul Stanley's Soul Station, and it was clearly a labor of love for the singer, way outside his usual rock comfort zone of bombast and shouting out loud. The Starchild had come to share his true love of Motown and Philly soul.

Sidebar

[​IMG]
    Paul Stanley's New Job: Soul Singer »

The songs were ancient hits by Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Al Green and the Isley Brothers, and the performances painstakingly re-created the original arrangements, with only occasional nods to Stanley's other gig. "We're paying respect, with reverence, to some of the great songs," Stanley said early in his 75-minute set, dressed in shades and a tuxedo jacket, swaying in cowboy boots of fire-engine red.

"There was a time not that long ago when you would turn on the radio and you'd hear songs written by real songwriters, songs sung by real singers, played by real musicians," he explained to the whistling, cheering crowd at the 500-capacity club on the Sunset Strip. "These songs mean a lot to us. They're beautiful songs. You could sway and touch the person next to you — you could also get punched in the face. I think you're going to like this."

He began with the Temptations' "Get Ready," singing in falsetto, as he would the entire set, reaching for high notes and subtlety that would be a challenge for almost anyone not named Smokey. His vocals could have been louder in the mix here, but Stanley found his own power and confidence as the set rolled on, blending elegantly with a trio of gifted backup singers: Nelson Beato, Ayana Layli and Crystal Starr.

[​IMG]
    "You don't have to be shy," Stanley told the crowd. "We know each other." Theonepointeight
    Stanley and his singers went full a cappella to begin Robinson's sweet, tearful "Ooo Baby Baby," singing into retro chrome-plated microphones. "We got great, great singers. I would be nothing without these singers," Stanley said admiringly. Behind them was a six-man band that included Kiss drummer Eric Singer, and they obviously had been rehearsing hard for this moment, reviving the warm bass lines and glancing guitar riffs of the Temptations' "Just My Imagination."

That song's chorus also prompted the first of many spontaneous sing-alongs from the crowd, many dressed in Kiss shirts and hats, but no one shouting for any tunes from Stanley's other band. In a corner booth of the club's VIP section were two fans cheering as loudly as anyone: Kiss fanatic Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine) and Stanley's musical life partner, Gene Simmons.

"He's great because he loves that music and he understands it," Simmons said, grinning from behind his sunglasses. "Great songwriting is great songwriting."

Stanley introduced the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles hit "Tracks of My Tears" by speaking in awe of the distinctive opening melody: "I'm going to be transported as soon as I hear it." He tapped into the Hi Records sound of Memphis soul on Green's "Let's Stay Together," as the crowd clapped to the beat, followed by the Temptations' "The Way You Do the Things You Do" and the slippery funk guitar on the Isley Brothers' "Who's That Lady?"

These were love songs performed at human scale, with emotions that soared, no special effects necessary. Pulling off his tuxedo jacket, Stanley joked with the crowd, "You don't have to be shy. We know each other."

For the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back," Stanley picked up a tambourine and handed lead vocals to Crystal Starr, who nailed the tune with searing passion and skill.

Before the Roxy show, Soul Station had played just twice before at benefit events for the school attended by one of Stanley's children. Now he plans to tour the band between his ongoing dates with Kiss. At the end of the night, he summed up the sound and tradition he hoped to share with his fans: "Real musicians, real music, really cool."

Set List:

"Get Ready"
    "La-La (Means I Love You)"
    "Just My Imagination"
    "Ooo Baby Baby"
    "Sideshow"
    "You Are Everything"
    "Tracks of My Tears"
    "Let’s Stay Together"
    "Betcha by Golly, Wow"
    "The Way You Do the Things You Do"
    "I Want You Back"
    "Who’s That Lady?"

Encore:

"O-o-h Child"
    "This Old Heart of Mine"
    "Could It Be I’m Falling in Love"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-at-soul-station-debut-20150912#ixzz3lffxcjlb
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

905 likes this.
  13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

To be fair regarding ticket prices, there are like 15 people in his band.

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

And of course Paul takes his even split with everyone in the band.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Finally, after 50 years in the music business he has realized his life-long dream: to become Diana Ross.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Diamond Dog and Sean like this.
  16. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i wanna know who recommended to him to name it soul station

elgoodo and Stallings like this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

To be fair that's a decent sounding band he's got there and he obviously loves the music he's singing so good on him. I'm surprised by how good it all sounds. He looks like he's still finding his feet without being strapped to a guitar but I can't really hate on him for doing something for the love of it. Plus, if it gets someone who's never heard these songs before to take a listen then that can't be a bad thing.

18. DVEric

I agree, I just wish he would go a bit deeper into the Soul catalogue and play some songs that aren't so obvious.

19. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Better than I was expecting. He seems a little tentative on the vocals and his stage presence is surprisingly very low key!

20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I think he knows his audience is largely going to be 'curious' Kiss fans so it's probably a good thing he's keeping it simple. Plus, they are all absolute classics that he's playing and mostly sure-fire hits. If it keeps going he'll probably break out a few 'deep cuts'. Good luck to him.

21. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

If you would go for free and leave in 20 minutes why are you complaining about it being $70? Sounds like you're just being negative to be negative. Musicians can't make any money selling records anymore and you're complaining about them charging more for live shows? Gimme a fricken break.

22. DVEric

I gotta say I am totally envious of the guy, I wish I had the cash (and talent) to put together a labor of love like this -- he's probably having a great time. That said, he has an opportunity to illuminate some lesser known, but just as great Soul music to a new audience. That's an opportunity I would jump at.

edenofflowers likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think the Soul Train pulled out of the soul station.

Sean likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Pro shot video - Live at the Roxy 2015.

helter, wavethatflag and supermolland like this.
  25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Awesome. I want a full record and Blu-Ray.

Deuce66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.