Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread - Christmas 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inaptitude, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I thought it was just great. The film could have been horrible but I probably still would have had a good time just listening to the soundtrack.

Been streaming it on the iPad often. I guess I should track down the vinyl.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

Any comments on the SQ of the vinyl release? The digital I've been listening to on Tidal sounds wonderful, I hope the LP sounds great as well.

3. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Pretty much sums it up.

Spitfire likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Preferred it to Shape Of Water.
    Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant in it, so subtle compared with There Will Be Blood.
    Soundtrack was good though sounded like a homage to a old Hollwood score.
    Shame Daniel Day Lewis is retiring, I'm sure there is some good scripts out there.

Ghostworld and peopleareleaving like this.
  5. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

A couple songs ' my foolish heart ' and 'my ship' were from the 1963 Oscar Peterson Nelson Riddle collaboration. And yes a brilliant film and one of my favorites from last year.

Also, House of Woodcock written by Jonny Greenwood is an absolute earworm.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I wasn't referring to the songs /standards, but the actual soundtrack itself which sounded familiar. Daniel Day -Lewis retiring after 29 films, at least about 10 I really rate. Hard to believe There Will Be Blood is from 2007.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I’d like to know this too. It’s also very expensive at £33 and above.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I finally saw this on HBO GO as it was a film that was to be purged after this month.

Thoughts:

Great performances by Daniel Day-Lewis and Leslie Manville, but, otherwise, what the hell?

Way too much of an overbearing soundtrack and the plot is, well, what’s the plot?? Okay, I get the plot, but by the end of the movie was just left scratching my head. I’m not angry I watched it, but I’d never do so again.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I want to watch it a second time but I find the task sort of daunting! I liked it, but it was a bit of a workout for me.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah I can't imagine watching it again, even though I thought it was an interesting and intense watch. I could watch There Will Be Blood all day, one of my favorite films of the past twenty years. I'm a huge Day-Lewis fan, watching anything he does is interesting to me, at least once. But I'm far more mixed on Paul Thomas Anderson's other work.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. As I’ve written earlier, this was my favorite film of last year and one my favorite films of the last decade. I’ve seen it four times now , twice on the big screen.

To me it’s nearly perfect

Ghostworld and teodoro like this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Funny how different we are all. I find this movie so easy to watch. Seen it three times so far.

13. And after the initial viewing, I found some of it extremely funny as well as wonderfully acted and really beautiful.

14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

This film makes me think of Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de... It has some similarities in theme and camerawork. I'd recommend it to those that like Phantom Thread.

Ghostworld and teodoro like this.
  15. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

This is the kind of movie that, for me at least, works better in the theatre than at home. I loved the movie, but watching it on tv at home, I'm sure I'd be too easily distracted.

16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I laughed more the second time I watched it. I enjoyed it as much as the first time but knowing the outcome made the viewing a different experience. I thought it was like a movie that the studios wouldn't allow Orson Welles to make.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, I guess I need to watch it again. I’ll do so.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's pretty much how I felt. It left me cold. Nowhere near the (imo) holy triumvirate of PTA - Magnolia, Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Magnolia is the one I can’t rewatch. Liked it the first time, but for a pleasant viewing evening? It’s too demanding. PT would be in my top three.

Funny. Just looked at his filmography. Seven films. Four lost money. Pretty big money. Yet.... we love him.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  20. agentalbert

I find it kind of exhilarating. I don't know that I'd call any of the three "pleasant", though.

21. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Not being a fan of PTA and sceptical of how the subject matter would translate to film, I was pleasantly surprised by Phantom Thread.

8/10

GodShifter and Jazzmonkie like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

"Magnolia" is just so damn long. I like it, and I've started rewatching it many times but usually run out of time and stop the film, meaning to pick it up the next night and finish but rarely doing so, mostly out of laziness. I've seen the first half of the film a dozen times but I've probably only seen the tail end two or three times tops. Now that I've lost my own father the scene with Jason and Tom would probably be too much for me.

I remember the first time watching it, and after the first hour I was like, "he cant possibly keep going like this" and at the two hour mark being like "oh my God he really is going to keep going like this" and when we hit hour three I was like, "sweet Jesus is this carousel ever gonna stop and let me off?!?!?" I didnt think it was gonna end, I started freaking out.

23. agentalbert

I know what you guys mean about "Magnolia". It is very aggressive. I think I saw it in the theater twice, and then maybe about five times on DVD, and at least a few since I got the blu-ray. It can be a bit exhausting if you aren't prepared, but I've never really tired of it.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Paul Thomas Anderson is also a music video director as well

25. Daniel Plainview

Fiona Apple's "Paper Bag" is an elegant and classy music video. Naturally MTV barely aired it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.