Paul Weller in Seattle last night.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alanb, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanb

alanb Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all, i saw Paul Weller last night at the Moore Theatre in Seattle last night.

I drove down from Vancouver, Canada, about 500km round trip ,after work and am back at work this a.m. so am a little tired.
    It was great to see as he does not do many gigs over here in the US or Canada and has not played Seattle for a long time apparently.

The band are younger guys that have a more rock sound.
    The mix in the Theatre was VERY loud and bass and drums really dominated.
    Weller and craddocks guitar playing seemed loser and noiser than usual.
    The whole show was a lot loser than previous times i have seen Paul.

I don't know if he's having more fun now he's 50 or was rocking it out for a US audience but it was all a bit different to the other times i have seen him.

Generally very good and really hit the mark on some songs.
    I cannot remember right now everything they played, highlights for me where....Butteryfly collector - a real ska drum and bass Wildwood- he encored Eaton Rifles, played a lot of new stuff of 22 Dreams also Shout to the top (style council number).
    He played for 2 hours and did 2 encores.

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, sounds like a great show and similar to when i saw him a few months ago. he's got a live album coming so it'll be more or less what you've seen I'd imagine give or take a track.

he's just in or about to hit NYC but I think I'm sitting that one out...i'll regret it, but there it is.

thanks for the review.

3. alanb

1 song going round my head all today is Wild BLue Yonder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MQF33aTHk
    sounded great live (let's go f####ing in the wild green clover)
    great song, i've heard it but don't actually own it????
    it came out as a single awhile ago and i don't think it's come out on anything else yet....
    very JAM, they used to release great singles and never stick them on LP's....

4. DJ WILBUR

it was the first of what was to be regular single releases by the man, but it was the only one that surfaced in that plan. i'm assuming a live version will be on the forthcoming platter...

5. :righton: Wish I was there. :sigh:

The Jam were my favourite. Never got a chance to see them back in the day as they only played Toronto, Vacouver, etc. Same w/ Style Council. And this solo tour is only a few U.S. dates. Too bad. Love the new Weller solo album. Bought the U.K. vinyl last year when it came out.

According to a blog site, he is scheduled to play Letterman next week.

http://paulwellernews.blogspot.com/2009/01/paul-weller-adds-north-american-tour.html

Wed 4/22/09 New York, NY The Ed Sullivan Theater (Late Show)

Here's the rest of the all too brief U.S. tour. Also he has one concert schedulded at the end of May at Sheperds Bush.

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=26282

[​IMG]

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just got in from the SF show. It wasn't as good as the first time I saw him ('05), but still a great night out. I'll post a setlist later, when I have a chance. Sadly, no Eton Rifles in SF, though...

And the NY gig got cancelled, so I guess I was lucky.

7. Reading this thread made me in the mood to check out some live Weller in the Bay Area. Oops, just realized I missed it by about five hours!

8. DJ WILBUR

I heard the NYC Paul Weller show was cancelled...:confused:...anyone know the story?

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

heard (unconfirmed) rumors weller sr. is in poor shape...

SF setlist, in order & complete (I think!):

made up your mind
    all i wanna do
    out of the sinking
    22 dreams
    changingman
    from the floorboards up
    push it along
    sea spray
    porcelain gods
    invisible
    one bright star
    empty ring
    all on a misty morning
    subterranean homesick blues/magic bus (drummer on vocals on the former)
    butterfly collector
    brand new start
    wild wood
    echoes round the sun
    come on/let's go
    --------
    shout to the top
    broken stones/oh happy day
    whirlpools' end
    --------
    that's entertainment

(invisible - 111: keyboards)
    (misty morning - brand new start: acoustic)

more later...

10. DJ WILBUR

:( Oh that's sad, he's so close with his pop and really sorry to hear this if its true.

11. alanb

Yep...in an interview, MOJO i think - he said his dad was not in the best of health and it was getting his dad down...
    I saw the Jam in 1978 and his dad ran on and said "here's the best band in the world--THE JAM".....close is an understatment.
    His sister ran the JAM fanclub and was even selling t-shirts a few years ago at the ACOUSTIC gigs he did in Blighty, i chatted with her, which was funny as she was selling the T-shirts when i first saw The Jam in 1978.

12. alanb

In what way was it not as good??

I've seen Paul a lot over the years and the way he acts has always been pretty consistent with what you see of him in interviews etc BUT at seattle he seemed different....
    Maybe as he's 50 now he's lightened up because he seemed to be messing around and having a laugh more.
    He was acting a bit camp, waving his hands about and stuff, which i just couldn't figure out what that was about?
    He's got a younger band (and girlfriend-23 who sat at the edge of the stage watching) and so he seems to be, to me, trying to keep it young.
    He struck a few more rock/guitar poses than i have ever seem him do.

Could all be nothing or jetlag, for the benefit of US audiences etc??????

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

The word on the PW board is that he passed away today
    I was supposed to see him in NY tomorrow
    I'm bummed coz I wanted very much to see the show of course but much more so because someone who has given me so much great music for so many years has had such a loss.
    My best to PW, his family and friends
    :cry:
    Peace-
    Norm/t5

14. alanb

Thanks for the info.
    My best to PW and family to.
    They are a very tight family.

15. alanb

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

17. alanb

From the Paul weller website....

John Weller
    23rd Apr 2009

Its with immense sadness that we can confirm that John Weller passed away yesterday.

John who managed Pauls career from the start of the Jam onwards will be missed by everyone. He was a larger than life character who was respected across the music industry and a much loved husband, dad, grandad and friend.

Our thoughts and love go out to the Wellers at this sad and difficult time. Ann, Nicky and Paul also really appreciate all the lovely cards, emails and messages from everyone.

18. DJ WILBUR

ah, sad...

19. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that.

20. omegaman

omegaman Forum Resident

Gutted to hear the news, His Dad was his manager until recently and was always Paul's best mate. Condolences to all the Weller family.

21. cdice

cdice New Member

I saw Paul Weller at Coachella. I was glad I got to see him, but I think, subconsciously, I was expecting the show to be more like a Jam concert, and it really wasn't. He was entertaining, and I am glad I got to see him, but he didn't blow me away or anything. When that guy from the Smiths came out and jammed with him, that was pretty cool ("Town Called Malice"). I'm sorry to hear about his dad.

22. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Wow....I'm saddened. When Paul was touring "Heavy Soul" and after the show at the Hollywood Palladium, there was a gathering at the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Paul's favorite hotel when in LA from the late Jam days.

Anyway, Paul's dad was at the bar and I bought him a beer. We started chatting and he was a character with plenty of stories. I could barely understand what he was saying as his accent was so strong but he had a great twinkle in his eye. Very proud of his son. God bless his soul.

23. alanb

Nice story.....

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I too saw the Coachella show. Blew off most of yeah yeah yeahs, since I could easily see them later. Don't know much about JAM/SC/Solo but knew enough that it was important to see. Funny seeing Marr 48 hours after morrissey played 200 feet away.

Is there any stage mannerism that liam gallagher DIDN'T steal from Weller? Except the musical and consistent song writing ability.

25. alanb

Lucky boy going to Coachella....pretty cool to see Marr play with Weller.

It's funny that a music Forum as big as this has so little input about Paul Weller - great songwriter and performer for the last 30 years.
    He's huge in Blighty.
    I guess he didn't really touch a lot of people in the US.
    We hardly made 2 pages in response to his father passing.....:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.