Paul Weller Vinyl Reissues of S/T and Wild Wood-November 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

the price is just one more piece of the mystery, they aren't that expensive in North America.

2. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Yes but I did pre-order them trough their web site. So don't know how many copy's they order. You can call them and they will check if they have it in stock, or they will ask you if you want to order them.

The Weller section seems to have disapear the last time I check or maybe they merge it with The Jam.... Store is big but not big enough, they will expand the surface store soon.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

For me, Illumination is Weller's worst solo album. There are some good songs – "It's Written In the Stars," "Leafy Mysteries," "One X One," "Bag Man" – but more common are the dreary likes "A Bullet for Everyone," "Standing Out In the Universe" and the truly cringe-inducing "Call Me No. 5." After Heliocentric, it was a real letdown.

Munros1969 and themisto like this.
  4. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

garrincha likes this.
  5. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

For me that was a real low point in Weller's career. Heliocentric on the other hand was a pretty solid album. Would be nice to see that on vinyl.

6. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Agreed on Call Me No. 5... terrible. Anyway, it might seen as a slight step down (it still was a UK #1), but there are plenty of things I like on it that would make it a worthy addition on vinyl. It's got a heavily compressed sound in places...might be better on vinyl, might not. Still want it. Jeez...I want them all.

8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I have it, but haven't listened to it in years at this point. Generally speaking, though, Weller's records usually sound better on vinyl than CD.

jon9091 likes this.
  9. jon9091

I kinda miss Steve White on drums. He was so good.

mrjinks, rocknsoul74 and slop101 like this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing a little while ago. Steve Pilgrim's good, too, but I do think Steve White brought something unique to Weller's music. His drumming on the James Taylor Quartet album Get Organised! is pretty awesome, incidentally.

jon9091 likes this.
  11. jon9091

Ok...Heliocentric, Illumination and Studio 150 and then I'll be happy.

12. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

That JTQ album would make for a great vinyl reissue..!!

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm lucky to have nearly all their stuff on vinyl already, but they'd definitely be worth some serious reappraisal. Everything up through A Few Useful Tips About Living Underground is pretty solid, some of it downright great.

Munros1969 likes this.
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thinking about it, if Weller & Dine had used the tracks they did for the Noonday Underground album that came out around the same time on Illumination, this would have made a better version of that album:

Side One
    Going Places
    Horseshoe Drama
    Leafy Mysteries
    It's Written In the Stars
    Push Button, Automatic
    Now the Night Is Here

Side Two
    Spring (At Last)
    One X One
    Bag Man
    All Good Books
    Thunder Park
    I'll Walk Right On

Munros1969 likes this.
  15. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Yeah, boring and inspired.

16. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I saw both Stanley Road and Heavy Soul in the store this weekend. I picked up SR and it sounds great. Anyone know the status of the S/T and Wildwood reissues in the US? I am surprised there is such a hold up with those two.

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Was listening to my Heavy Soul CD and realized that I liked every song on it, and that it's my #2 favorite Weller (after Stanley Road), so I figure I'll get the vinyl. Unlike the self-titled Wild Wood, it's readily available, and not too expensive. For those who have it, how's the quality of the vinyl? (for context, I was pretty happy with the SRd vinyl)

18. jon9091

I thought it was quite good. I haven't yet compared it to my UK version, but it was a perfect pressing, and I remember just getting drawn into the music....which is really the whole point.

e.s. likes this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I haven't sat down and compared the reissue with my original, but there was nothing about the newer version that stood out as bad when I played it. Mind you, I've listened to it a grand total of once, but it seemed fine.

20. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I got Stanley Road off Amazon when the price went down to about £23.

First copy had a large scratch across Porcelain Gods and was returned.
    Second copy had loads of small clusters of scratches on side 2 which were noisy so that was returned.
    Third copy had a large scuff mark on Changingman. Surprisingly this didn't affect play but You Do Something To Me is very noisy. I'm keeping this as it the best of a bad bunch.

Wet cleaning makes no difference so looks likes there are quite a few poor pressings of Stanley Road doing the rounds.

Out of interest, what happens to vinyl that is returned to Amazon ? Do they re-seal it and hope the next person won't compain ?

Defrance likes this.
  21. jon9091

If it looks trashed they probably dump it, if it looks decent, I believe they sell it for cheap in the Amazon Warehouse Deals section.

22. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

Introducing The Style Council & Cafe Bleu are both being released on coloured vinyl and can be pre-ordered for about £18 each. Cafe Bleu come with a magazine.
    (there is a Style Council thread that is active at the moment that has more details, must work out how to link to a thread)

This looks like a sensible price for a re-issue considering there are plenty of second hand copies available to buy. This leads me to think with the solo Weller albums, they knew there was no second hand vinyl available so they could sell at a much higher price.

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If true that is pretty disgusting.

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That doesn't make much sense, though, given the fact they're widely available here for around $22.

25. jon9091

I don't see the first two available at all. Not on Amazon or Bullmoose. Where do you see them for $22? Just the local shops?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.