Paul Weller's new album "A Kind Revolution"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another great album I think - only two plays though. What does the SHF think?

Jaap74 likes this.
  2. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

After one listen I like, but need a few more listens to get into the new tracks. So far so good tho'

e.s. likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, couldn't wait for the vinyl to show up since the album was just staring at me on Apple Music. They have the deluxe version up there too. Anyway, after a couple of listens...I think it's incredible. I like it more than Saturns Patterns, and considerably more than Sonik Kicks or WUTN. I often felt that Simon Dine's production overpowered the music....I was fighting through it to actually hear the songs. This album has a much more melodic emphasis IMO, and I connect with it immediately. The production of Stan Kybert is far more complimentary to my ear.

I'm loving it.

Sandinista, btltez, andybeau and 2 others like this.
  4. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

After a couple of listens on a streaming service the album sounds very good to me. First impression is that it is as good as "As Is Now".
    (the CD is in transit)

L.P., andybeau and manicpopthrill like this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Not too sure about this latest release from Weller after sampling the tracks a few times.
    For my Weller fix this week I will purchase Stone Foundation: Street Rituals on vinyl
    this week. Paul sounds better on that LP. For now I will pass on A Kind of Revolution.

6. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I love the more organic band feel on many of the tracks, plus the funk rhythms not heard since his debut in '92.

andybeau and jon9091 like this.
  7. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

I've been playing the record this morning and it's exceptional in my eyes. It's really additive.

It edges Saturn's Pattern for me (but is a neat follow up)

I was lucky enough to see him live last month where he played some of the songs from this and they were just stunning - they all really stood out in his set, even though they are new they feel like classics already and every track on this record is great.

Fair play to Weller. Very nice work.

8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

After playing it a few times, I do like it, but it's not the follow up to Saturns Pattern I would have expected.

Does anyone else think it's weird that "The Cranes Are Back" fades out so quickly, making the line that includes the album title almost inaudible?

9. rocknsoul74

Isn't the best part of being a fan?

10. rocknsoul74

Best songs:
    Woo see mama
    New York
    One Tear
    Satellite Kid

11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It can be. I'm still warming to this album.

12. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Well, so far I'd say it's loaded with good songs. Still need to get into it more. I loved Saturns Patern and thought the vinyl sounded much better than the cd.
    I bought the 3 CD version of A Kind Revolution and really dislike the overall sound; too loud, low end is overpowering, mids and highs lack clarity.
    Has anyone compared the vinyl to the CD?

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Don't have the CD, just the vinyl, which sounds great to my ears.

And I have to say, this is definitely a grower. It didn't blow me away first couple spins, but there are so many little things that I like about each song, it keeps me coming back for repeat listens. The backing vocals by Weller, Andy Crofts, and Steve Pilgrim are pretty great – I really love them on "Long Long Road." The thing I like most about this album, I think, is just how confident Weller sounds. I was thinking back to his earliest forays into different sounds, both with The Jam and The Style Council, and there was always an element of "I'm trying this, let's see if it works," but over the last few albums, he really projects more and more of an "I can do anything" vibe, not only in the songwriting, but with the production. And his voice has never been better, really.

btltez and rocknsoul74 like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Anyone know who mastered or pressed the LP? Any problems with off-center or non-fill on the pressing? I was planning to just go for the CD on this one due to my low tolerance for "problem" pressings which are everywhere now.

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Zero problems with my copy.

16. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

No problems with mine either, in fact it's been exceptionally well done - sounds ace too.

e.s. likes this.
  17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

vinyl sounds fab to me. the songs sound better with each listen. it's like a curtis mayfield record in so many ways. the textures and melodies and sentiments of the lyrics are top notch. his best in a long time I think. Really loving it. The documentary film on his utube channel is really good too called Behind A Kind Revolution

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Only through the first side of the LP, but I'm not sure I heard a single pop on the entire side. This is a fantastic pressing.

e.s. and jon9091 like this.
  19. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Don't know who mastered or pressed but mine is flat, silent, on centre and sounds great too :pineapple::goodie::shtiphat:

e.s. likes this.
  20. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I'm really enjoying the album so far. It's a lot to absorb - more like 22 Dreams. His last couple had a clear sonic point of view and made a more easily digestible "statement," but I don't mind letting the new one absorb slowly. It appears to be an album of a whole bunch of great songs and who can ask for more than that - especially from an artist like Paul Weller at this point in his career.

I think we're starting to see a new phenomena in popular music simply because the first and second generations of rock stars are reaching "a certain age," which is the Third Act of artists in popular music can be as potent and interesting as their first acts. It's the second act that seems to be where the trouble lies and many fans give up on their favorites or the artists, themselves, give up. But Dylan, McCartney, Nick Cave, Paul Weller, Van Morrison, Paul Simon, Lou Reed - many artists who struggled through their middle period (second-third decade), but pushed through, managed to reconnect with their muse and return to making great, vital music again.

21. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

This is really growing on me now 10/10 loving it

e.s. and jon9091 like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, it took a while to grow on me, but it is definitely in my upper tier of Weller favorites at this point. Playing Saturn's Pattern and this back to back is pretty great listen, too. I'm not sure if Weller's still on the wagon, but I recall in the press for Saturns Pattern, he mentioned he had stopped drinking a couple years early. It seems to have had a very positive effect, as does rekindling his partnership with producer Stan Kybert. It also strikes me that Andy Crofts has kind of developed into one of the best sidemen he's had since going solo. He and Steve Pilgrim contribute some fantastic backing vocals on this album.

factory44 and andybeau like this.
  23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I really love this one, much more than his anything since "22 Dreams". Between this and his work on the Stone Foundation album, I am a happy Weller fan this year!

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'd be curious to know what you like so much more about this than Saturns Pattern. To me, they seem very closely linked.

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Not out in Canada yet, sadly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.