PBS to air special on Dave Clark Five and '60s British Invasion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

How about Disco Dave? Actually I can see/hear them doing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy".

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Would there even have been a British Invasion if not for the DC5? The Beatles could been a one act phemonenon. Were Gerry and the Pacemakers' and the Animals' records strong enough to climb the U.S. charts if the invasion wasn't already underway? The Stones didn't have a hit untill fall. "Glad All Over" was as strong as any Beatles hit and The DC5 were on the Sullivan the week following the Beatles final appearence. IMO that's when the real invasion was began.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Of course, we'll never know, but look at how many British artists emerged at the time who were successful in the US. In contrast, after their initial success, the DC5 were kind of a bust in their native country. In retrospect, I think they were brilliantly marketed here to ride the fascination with all things British but lacked the versatility and appeal of groups other than the Beatles that also made the charts here. Creatively, they were inferior to contemporary groups like the Animals, Searchers, Kinks, Hollies, Who and Yardbirds, lacking the internal songwriters necessary for long term success and evolution.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  4. beatlematt

5. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

True, but I was only refering to what gave the British Invasion it's initial momentum.

6. beatlematt

Not Quite Part 2-Yes, even the DC5 went psych!

BIG ED and EasterEverywhere like this.
  7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I love their singles. I have 10 or 11 of the Epic albums in mono and I have the 50s Medley lp on import. There's a lot of filler on these lp's. Country ballads that play at half the tempo of Because, and the occasional instrumental that sounds like a half baked attempt to come up with a new song or riff. Although I was frustrated with the set at the time, I now think that the 2-cd Hollywood release has all but maybe two songs of the memorable DC5 output. There are even a couple tracks on the Hollywood set I would have dropped.

jonathan likes this.
  8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Curiously the drums are pretty much in audible here. You have to laugh!

beatlematt likes this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Anyone else think these two psychedelic DC5 songs sound like The Dukes of Stratosphear?

beatlematt likes this.
  10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Amazon has a two-disc Blu-ray based on the PBS program set for a May 13 release date. Entitled Glad All Over, it is described on the cover as having four hours of "star studded performances," so it looks to be much more than the version to be aired next month. However, the description says it's 120 minutes; maybe the Dave interviews just seem to be four hours long when he affectionately refers to "the boys." The cover is the photo from the Hollywood best-of, with Dave's kisser smack-dab in the middle, at least the same size as those of the other four this time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Blu-ray might also include the same program on DVD. Like the Disney DVDs or the new Criterion Blu-ray releases.

DC is using the same math that got him to 50 gold songs or what ever it was that included the medley.

Bill likes this.
  12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

As reported in the Examiner this is supposedly the DC5 version of Anthology.

http://www.examiner.com/review/revi...ecial-is-group-s-version-of-beatles-anthology

"There are also tributes to the deceased DC5 members Rick Huxley, Denis Payton and the very underrated Mike Smith "In loving memory of Mike, Denis and Rick. Your spirit lives on in the music," the screen says. Huxley died in early 2013. Smith died in February, 2008, 4 1/2 years after a spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed. Payton died in 2007."

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Ozzy and Sharon Osborne? Gene Simmons? Twiggy? Whoopi Goldberg? Dionne Warwick?
    Plus, pretty much the cast of Time.
    Uh, oh.
    Just cancelled my order for the DVD.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

and Sir Paul, who can afford to be gracious regarding the "rivalry" hype.

I'm not interested in it, but wonder if the credits will look something like this:

John Doe
    is
    John Doe
    in
    A John Doe Productions film
    "The John Doe Story"
    Produced by John Doe
    Written by John Doe
    Directed by John Doe
    Based on a story by John Doe
    (etc.)

ralphb97 likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Rhino co-founder Harold Bronson has a great new article on rocksbackpages.com on his dealings in the 90s with Dave Clark about Rhino's possible reissuing the DC5's catalog. It's a free article, too. Well worth reading.

BIG ED likes this.
  16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

A bump reminder. Tonight at 8PM on PBS.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Thanks

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Not on in DC until Wednesday night. I look forward to your take on it.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

7pm Tuesday here. Thanks for the reminder though.

20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Sorry. My mistake. It airs this coming Tuesday at 8PM.

21. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I wasn't there when that happened, but from watching all that footage to me it always looks, as if the "Dave Clark Five" were "hyped" in America to create a counterpart to the "alien-like Beatles". The DC5 were so "square" and "petty bourgeous", the way they appear in their clips driving in their cars and doing sports like waterskying is as far from Rock'n'Roll as possible. They somehow impersonated everything, that young people in Europe at that time didn't want to be.

alexpop likes this.
  22. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

That's just silly and based strictly on hindsight. They were as hip for the time as The Beatles and made it on the strength of their music. They weren't any more hyped than the Beatles or Stones. Remember the Beatles skiing in 'Help'? Pretty bourgeous if you ask me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  23. Since it has become public knowledge the Dave did not play on most or all of the recordings how about the others in the band did the other four play ?

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I can't find any air time for KCTS in Seattle.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episo...nd/fast-facts-about-the-dave-clark-five/2062/

PBS is obviously accepting any facts given to them by DC. Here are 7 "facts" about DC5 and a rebuttal from the comment section. That 70 million number for Sullivan is insane. How did Time sell 12 million?

1. American G.I.’s were among the first to hear The Dave Clark Five, who got their start playing American military bases in the UK.

2. The Dave Clark Five made a record-breaking 18 appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” with its weekly audience of 70 million viewers — more than any other rock, pop or R&B artist.

4. In eight years, The Dave Clark Five sold more than 100 million records and scored 15 consecutive Top 20 U.S. hit singles between forming in 1962 and disbanding in 1970.

6. In 1965 Epic Records had a Dave Clark Five fan club with 500,000 members in 1965. It also had a fan club for Dave Clark’s dog, Spike. The Spike Clark Fan Club had over 50,000 fans. A hairstyle, the Dave Clark Spike, was named for the dog.

7. Before making it big with the band, Dave Clark was an extra and stuntman in films starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (The VIPs) and Peters Sellars (Pink Panther: A Shot in the Dark).

9. Dave Clark’s favorite first drum set: Trixon (made in Germany only until 1970)

10. Dave Clark produced and co-wrote the musical Time that was seen by over one million people. Clark produced the concept album with Laurence Olivier, Freddie Mercury, Julian Lennon, Dionne Warwick and Burt Bacharach, Stevie Wonder, and more. The album and its singles sold over 12 million records.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 of those so called facts are absolute rubbish!
    1 The DC5 were doing the local circuit well before they did the American bases where they were actually a dance band!
    2 The DC5 only made 13 appearances on the Sullivan show.
    4 The grouped formed in 1958 and the 100 million sales is a joke
    6 The DC5 USA fan club had 375000 members
    7 Clark was NEVER a stuntman, stuntmen are licensed and registered, there's no record of Clark
    9 The Trixon was his second or possibly third set
    10 Clark bought the musical Time which had been playing in regional theatres under the name "The Time Lord"

Paul J and EasterEverywhere like this.
  25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Should be quite a program. My only hope is that, since the press release says it will include material from the late 60s special, Hold On, among it will be the scene with Dave playing the drums with the lights in them. It is beyond description.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.