Peanuts Classics Book Club

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just realized my copy of the 1970 book PEANUTS CLASSICS is a Book Club Edition. Does anyone know if the book club version is abridged?

[​IMG]

O Don Piano likes this.
  2. The book club editions were not normally abridged. Commonly they could be smaller size than the proper version or use a poorer quality paper. Having said that I have a UK book club edition of the Peanuts 25th Anniversary hardback and it is the same as the 'proper' version ( apart from the book club logo on the spine of the dust wrapper ).

Keith V likes this.
  3. Keith V

Thank you. I asked Mr. Nat Gertler from the Aaugh Blog and although he wasn’t positive, he essentially said the same thing.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Just seeing that book cover reminds me of how much I loved that period of Peanuts.
    "Actually, it's kind of peaceful."

5. Keith V

[​IMG]

Here’s another great anthology

O Don Piano and MikeInFla like this.
  6. Keith V

Derrick Bang emailed me and said that his non book club edition of CLASSICS has the same number of pages so I assume all versions are the same.
    Thanks for your help everyone.

905 likes this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I have this as well. I pretty much had it memorized!
    I also had a book club edition and always tried to keep it in great shape until 4th or 5th grade when some idiot bully type kicked it around on the asphalt and ruined the back cover, and dented the corners.
    But the book cemented my still strong love for Peanuts and Charles Schulz.

Keith V likes this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

There was a great paperback book I had when I was a kid called "Charlie Brown and Charlie Schulz", it was an entertaining book about Schulz and the Peanuts phenomenon with lots of photos and illustrations. I bought it when it came out around 1970 and lost it somewhere over the years. I have yet to find another copy.

Keith V likes this.
  9. Keith V

How many pages when you compare the book club with the regular?

Here’s my list of good compilations from back in the day.
    Peanuts Revisited ( that’s one you have to be careful not to get the book club edition. It’s practically cut in half.)
    Peanuts Treasury ( which usually goes back into print around Christmas time although I haven’t seen it at the stores this year )
    Peanuts Classics
    Snoopy Festival

I had never heard of any of these except for Snoopy festival because my school library had that When I was little.

10. O Don Piano

I vaguely remember that. Wasn’t it a TV special as well?

11. O Don Piano

I don’t know how my old book club edition compares with a regular edition. But it’s a pretty big book page-wise.

My school library didn’t have Peanuts books for some reason. My city library did. Hardback versions of the Holt, Rhinehart and Winston versions. I had the Fawcett Crest versions. There seemed to be a million of ‘em!

I only have Fantagraphics editions now. Only up to 1976 though.

Keith V likes this.
  12. Keith V

I have lots of Fawcett Crest as well. That’s where I started as a youngster. Plus our school library had hardcover editions of those beloved paperbacks.

I have a few of the Fantagraphics. Eventually I wouldn’t mind having all of them up to 76 but it’s not a priority. I need to start enjoying stuff I already have. As a matter of fact I’m now in the middle of reading Vol. 1.

13. Keith V

I never got it but here’s a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Schulz-Celebration-Anniversary/dp/0394830571

14. O Don Piano

Somehow my FC Peanuts books disappeared over the years. I had like 30 or 40 of them. The Fantagraphics editions are complete so it’s wonderful to read them again.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.