Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I've been watching and enjoying this on Showtime. It's kind of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with figures from horror literature, Frankenstein, Dorian Grey (he was also in TLOEG)....living up to its title of sorts.

Entertaining if nothing else with some fine performances.

badfinger54, James Fenway and alexpop like this.
  2. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Glad you started this. I'm enjoying it, too. Now maybe someone can explain the ending of "Demimonde", the current episode 4; shock or propelling the story forward?

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Eva Green.
    Have to watch this thanks!

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have the first episode recorded but haven't checked it out yet.

5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Eva Greens performance in the seance scene of ep2 was outstanding. Loving this show, fantastic cast and the way they are building the dread to the Counts inevitable appearance is hugely compelling.

badfinger54 and alexpop like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, she was fantastic there. Very creepy and convincing, and that's the type of scene that can come off looking very silly if not done well.

I just re-watched the first three episodes. I haven't seen past Ep. 5 yet, but will catch up. There are several scenes and parts of dialog in the first few episodes that make more sense to you once you have a better understanding of the history of Vanessa, Mina and Sir Malcolm. I was surprised to see that this Sunday's episode is the season finale. Only 8 episodes for this season. But according to IMDB there will be 10 episodes in season 2, airing next year.

7. alexpop

Great threads by the way.:edthumbs:

8. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I watched the first 7 episodes yesterday. It's slow-paced, but overall, very well done. My favorite plot-line is the Frankenstein one.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll probably buy the discs and watch. Too much weekly tv going these days, didn't want to add this one to the mix.

10. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Nice show, dark enough and like how they are drawing from the past and putting all the characters together as well as have their own story revealed. Wish there were more ep in season 1. Going to watch the finale tonight. (pvr)

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am waiting for the blu-ray. Having to wait until the seasons of True Blood and Game Of Thrones end is hard enough but I will just have to do the same with Penny Dreadful.

12. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I just saw the season finale. No big surprises at the ending (having watched the first 7 episodes in one day, clues began to add up quickly), but I'm still looking forward to the next season. There are still a few backstories to be visited.

13. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

They are shooting scenes from the second series right now - in an old 17th Century House just a few hundred feet from my own home: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/parks/Cabinteelypkhistory.pdf
    (It's just after 6pm here now and it looks like they're setting up for some night-time filming. Funny to see "frost" on the grass on this lovely sunny evening!)

alexpop and xdawg like this.
  14. alexpop

I can imagine Eva Green sipping a pint of Guinness. :)

Tex_Writer likes this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Eva Green sipping a pint of Guinness?

Perfection. On many levels.

I saw the pilot on a free preview-it is interesting. I like how they throw so many things in the mix.
    But my dish bill is high enough without Showtime, so I will wait.

16. alexpop

Is this series still going ?

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, Showtime renewed series for second season, which will be aired in 2015.

alexpop likes this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Hope she's got more taste than that...

20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Two pints?

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Real beer!

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Looking forward to season 2 of this. It begins on 5/3 here. Season 1 will take some beating! I think all the best horror is on TV now..

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ethan's not gonna be happy when he sees what Victor did with Brona Croft's body.

24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

After watching Eva Green recently in `The Dreamers', I can't wait for
    season two. If you dig Eva, then you must watch the Bertolucci film
    and not just for the terrific soundtrack (LOL).

Tex_Writer likes this.
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I didn't know much about Eva Green until I Googled her, I know I had seen her somewhere before but I had not watched the sequels to 300 or Sin City, and she was in both of those. Dreamers sounds like a good flick, apparently she was in that with Michael Pitt who played Jimmy Dormandy in Boardwalk Empire.
    Sheza one hot spicy meataball...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've seen the first episode of this season from a web download, it's very good.

jrbgeog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.