Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the show! I've never thought to compare it with 'League' until I read this thread. That movie was cartoonish and although PD deals with 'monsters', it's really another ballgame altogether. Simply put, 'League' was based on a kids comic book, PD's based on the adult-oriented original liteature. The final episodes of the 2nd season were really firing on all cylinders. If they can sustain this level of quality next season I can easily see it going on for a few more! I know I'll hang until it's done, love me some Eva Green, yum yum!;) Besides, The Count is still to come!

PhilJol likes this.
  2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

My mate lives near where it is filmed and he's going to keep his eyes open for when they start shooting again. Watch the end credits & you'll see ' filmed at Ardmore Studios & on location in Ireland'. All the moors scenes are 20 mins from central Dublin. (Def Leppard shot their 'Heaven Is' video at Ardmore). Josh H is often seen in the local Starbucks apparently!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Actually I wouldnt dismiss League so readily--it wasn't based on a kid's comic book but on Alan Moore's graphic novel series which is quite adult.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While I'm a great admirer of Alan Moore's work, I'll stand by my original statement, that the movie was bordering on childish. Gotta give ya props for making the distinction between comic books and graphic novels, a term I always felt was created by the industry to make us fan boys feel a little less nerdy. Lets face it, regardless of whether it's Moore's Watchmen or Miller's Batman, it's still colored drawings of men in capes and tights!;).

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought of LGX when the show first started too. This is much better, but like League, this takes different characters from literate or legend and puts them all working together or against each other in one story. So its an apt comparison, though the LGX movie was awful, and Alan Moore's LGX comics are fantastic.

6. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Just finished binging on both seasons... looking forward to season 3. Hope they find a way to... ooops... don't want to spoil anything.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Season 3 (final season, I believe) begins airing 5/1!

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, I'm in! (but I still question whether another series should be made. The ending to the last one was just about perfect).

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

One of my favorite shows, looking forward to Season 3!

10. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

One of my favourites after TWD...

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Amazing series. Eva Greens acting is incredible.

agentalbert likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

WOW! What a great beginning to the season! Tellyawhat, watching GOT and following it with PD makes for a powerful 1-2 punch! The ending of PD was as satisfying as the ending of GOT tonight! Hit the ground running with some great new character additions, the season's gonna be epic!

Alan G. likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

How many episodes is season 3 supposed to be - 8? I need to time my Showtime streaming subscription so I can get in/out within a month. :D

14. wayneklein

9 as I recall.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks!

16. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Eva Green is very damaged in this and I love every second of it. I especially liked the witch episode - very well done imo.

17. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

An excellent start to series 3, however I’m a bit sceptical of moving the story from the dark and dreary streets of 19th century London, which I think adds considerably to the feel of the series, to the bright deserts and cowboys of the United States.

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So far this season is really good, hard to believe what Sir Malcom did..
    Very much looking forward to the rest, Dracula is not exactly as I had imagined but so far it kind of works.
    I really like how they tie Vanessa to the Frankenstein monster, a nice touch.

19. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

This might be the best season yet. Every episode has been phenomenal.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I can only assume that the lack of chatter about this outstanding series can only be due to most folks not getting Showtime. The storyline's becoming epic, tying what I thought to be dead and forgotten threads to what's happening now. The monsters arc took an unexpectedly touching, bordering on beautiful twist this last episode, thx to advice given to him by Vanessa (in yet another beautiful scene/moment between them). The lovers triangle between the vampire, the witch, and the werewolf, which sounds goofy on paper, is actually very satisfying and barreling towards the ultimate confrontation. And man, Dorian Grey's welcome return to form was also a wtf-worthy twist!;). If yr not getting Showtime yr missing on some of the best programming available. Penny Dreadful, House Of Lies (also having a fantastic season!), and Ray Donovan (returning this month!) alone are very solid reasons to sign up!

PhilJol likes this.
  21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

This has been a really good season so far. I am so not looking forward to the tragedy that I'm sure awaits John Claire after this episode's happy reunion.

22. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

You're preaching to the choir here.It's hard to understand why this outstanding series seems to generate such little buzz.It was my daughter who gave me the heads up when the new season was starting(I didn't even know she watched it) so maybe it is the Showtime angle you mentioned.Just seems sometimes any show that I really enjoy gets cancelled/not renewed.

23. wayneklein

I hope that this gets renewed for a fourth season. There are rumors that Shoetime will renew it for one more season but it is t a done deal. I hope it does come back for season four but, if not, a stunning finale.

24. wayneklein

If this had been on HBO it would get a lot more love.

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Great finale to a great season. Gotta say, it seems like that was the series finale, if it was it was a well kept secret. AND that I really hope it isn't the end, this series just kept getting better and better, season after season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.