"Penny Lane" ending - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by britt2001b, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member Thread Starter

Before the single was released in the states, radio stations were playing the Capitol 45 promotional "Penny Lane" with the piccolo trumpet ending. Imagine my surprise when I bought the actual released single and there was no trumpet at the end !

I prefer the trumpet ending. Which do you prefer?

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Trumpet hands down. Adds a lot to the festive nature of the song, IMHO.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Trumpet, Mono mix. I'm helplessly used to the Yellow Promotional Single, even the hot cutting/sound.

I can live with both, but given a choice, the trumpet, definately.

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Trumpet, but my copy is a bit beat up.

5. stever

stever Senior Member

I like the trumpet ending much more.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Trumpet ending all the way!
    I don't know why or how they were still playing this, but the rock station I grew up listening to (and where I really discovered The Beatles) almost always played that trumpet ending. And this was the mid-late 80s. It's never sounded right to me without it.
    Dan C

7. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I voted for the trumpet ending, but I think the other one could work if it wasn't so compressed.

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In the 1980s, they might have dubbed it from Rarities, on which Capitol took a stereo mix of "Penny Lane" and added the trumpet notes (in mono) to the end.

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Love the trumpet ending.

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thanks, that solves the mystery. :)

BTW, is "Rarities" worth seeking out for sound quality or is it bunk like most of Capitol pressings?

Dan C

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Sorry guys...

NO TRUMPET!!!

It sounds too anticipated & expected.

The cymbal roll is perfect!!!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Trumpet for me. Not because it's so wonderful, but it's the version they played on KRLA when the record came out. It "imprinted" on me and I've missed it on every copy since.

13. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I'd say it is. Capitol put out some pretty nice sounding records in the 80s. Although, I wish they hadn't bothered to create their own versions of Penny Lane and I Am The Walrus.

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I know I'm in the minority here but, musically speaking, I like the way the Paul's final "Penny Lane" flows into that eerie sounding ending. I love hearing the trumpet-ending version for what it is--a cool oddity that the Beatles thought better of.

JD

15. tim_neely

Yes it is (no pun intended) worth seeking.

Many items came from the British and German tapes, as Capitol never had some of the stuff during the Beatlemania years. You can find "There's a Place," "Misery" and "Sie Liebt Dich" in true stereo (the first two are otherwise rare in the US, as they were only on those 3 percent of Vee-Jay Introducing the Beatles LPs that were made in true stereo, and the third had never even been on a US LP, much less in stereo). It's also an affordable place to hear some mono White Album tracks; the single version of "Help!" with the alternate John Lennon vocal; and some other oddities.

16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Definitely the trumpet ending. Why it was mixed out is hard to fathom; Sir George, you got it right the first time!:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Trumpet ending. It is hard to believe that this was not the official released version. When we were growing up, this is what we heard on the radio, so it is burned into our heads.

This is a perfect example of how powerful and how important AM radio was to us back then. Imagine, a version that none of us ever owned (at least when it first came out), yet we still hear it in our heads today!!

18. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

According to Mark Lewisohn's book, it was actually Paul who requested (after Capitol had been sent the "trumpet" mix) that the ending be changed.

19. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I prefer the trumpet ending.
    This may be the only instance where I prefer a Beatles song in a different version than the hit single. I first heard this version when I brought the Capitol Rarities LP in the '80's and ever since I can't hear the end of the single without mentally adding the solo. For whatever reason this was deleted from the final mix, they missed a chance to make a great tune even more memorable. Not that it really matters.

20. tim_neely

Just this past Saturday (August 9), my local oldies station played "Penny Lane" -- with the trumpet ending! Haven't heard it on the radio in a long time! It must have made it to one of those TM Century and/or "Rarities on Compact Disc" things.

21. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

I first heard this on the Capitol Rarities LP also. I also always hear the piccolo trumpet ending in my head when it is not there. I will have to get out my copy as I haven't listened to it in years.

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Trumpet ending for me.

Never could understand why Paul wanted to do away with it. :confused:

23. kjb

kjb Member

Paul did away with it?:confused:

Trumpet ending for me:thumbsup:

24. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

It seamed that both WLS & WCFL in Chicago played the 45 promo for weeks (although it was probably days) before I was to obtain a copy. I did a double take at the hifi when I first heard the commercial release. I voted for the trumpet ending. It sounds more complete to me.

25. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I like the trumpet at the end. It puts a capper on the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.