People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Since when?

2. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

No one pluralizes an abbreviation? TVs, anyone?

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

For all the same reasons, I hate "licorice pizza."

4. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

if you're talking about the forum I think the membership in general is to blame for that :angel:

5. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

A voice of reason.

6. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

It's the sixties - not sixtie's or even sixty's i.e there's no reason to have an apostrophe after the numerals.

7. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

When I joined the SHF a few yrs. ago, I didn't know what people were talking about when vinyl was mentioned. Records was the term until the resurgence which became vinyl I guess. Funny to me.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Now there's the voice of reason.

9. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I don't follow your argument. There's no apostrophe in aitches, but h's usually has one.

One more time: 1960s and 1960's are both correct. Nowadays 1960s is more common. See here at page 109.

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Lots of waxing poetic going on here....

11. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Can we also discuss here when the decade and century actually changes? :)

12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

:cheers: :righton:

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, maybe it's just the price LP lovers have to pay for the current resurgence-including work Steve's doing, eh? ;)

How about the "Divinyls"? Shall we start a petition to make them change their name? :D

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like used vinyls, but I don't like used rubbers.

15. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Hmmm......I would have agreed with you, but maybe not?

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/acronyms.html

"One unusual modern use of the apostrophe is in plural acronyms, like “ICBM’s” “NGO’s” and “CD’s”. Since this pattern violates the rule that apostrophes are not used before an S indicating a plural, many people object to it. It is also perfectly legitimate to write “CDs,” etc. See also “50’s.” But the use of apostrophes with initialisms like “learn your ABC’s and “mind your P’s and Q’s” is now so universal as to be acceptable in almost any context.

Note that “acronym” was used originally only to label pronounceable abbreviations like “NATO,” but is now generally applied to all sorts of initialisms. Be aware that some people consider this extended definition of “acronym” to be an error."

Last time I moved, some of my vinyls went missing. :D

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I call records, records first and foremost. :cool:

17. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Hmm... While I do it all the time too, asking someone to come over and listen to records is probably just another modern weirdness of the english language, particularly for those who speak other languages (In France for example they don't use the word record at all for this. They call them "disques vinyles" ( the "s" is required. :)) In English, the word "record" should probably be modified in someway to convey some meaning. Adding gramophone, phonogragh or even vinyl provides meaning to people who don't understand the weirdness of our language. I think the original vinyl records were called "Program Transcription" discs by RCA Victor - perhaps, that's what they should be called! Oh yeah, why pick on Patricia Barber? Café Blue is a great "album". Oops, there is another one of those pesky, odd English words. ;)

18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Regardless of whether they do or don't object to the new term for records, it seems like many people don't see the actual grammatical error in it. It isn't specifically a matter of whether you can pluralize the word "vinyl". It's a matter of whether vinyl is an individul thing. To call the record "a vinyl" is the same error as calling multiple records "vinyls". It's also the same as calling my driveway "a concrete" or all the driveways on my block "concretes". That said, I chose the word "error" for lack of a better term. I don't mean to take a position on the word "vinyls".

19. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I think I agree if I got you right. It's all about is it ok to call a record(LP) a vinyl. If it is, then I think it's ok to talk about vinyls. I'm assuming that when people are talking about vinyl in this forum, they are not talking about material, but records/lps/vinyls.

20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I have a number of music concretes. :)

21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes, I do.

22. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

I was happy with run-off (area) before discovery of this forum.:confused:

23. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Do you want the answer in kilograms? ;)

24. Johnny Winters is a very good guitar player. ;)

25. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Johnny Winter's a very excellent guitar player?? :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.