People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

If you walked into someone's house with a brown paper bag containing several bottles/cans of beer and said "I bought a few beers on the way over," it would sound quite natural, no? Like at a Stupid Bowl party. (That's what my dad always calls it.)

2. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Then I guess you're never going to know what I was talking about.

3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Even though, like Grant, I'd be more likely to say "some beer," I don't think what you describe would sound unnatural in the way that "a few vinyls" would. :)

4. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

I wonder how much regionalism affects what we consider natural. I guess you could say I speak "California" English because that's where I lived when I lived in the U.S. Could it be that "a few beers" is more a California thing, whereas "some beer" would be more common elsewhere?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

True. I guess that's one discussion we can eliminate from this crowded thread.

6. Grant

Interesting theory. But, I don't go to bars, so I really wouldn't know, but like I said in another thread, most of my good friends all come from California. I don't know why that is.

7. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

At the pub: "I bought some beers and am sitting here waiting for you. Where the f#%k are you?"
    In the living room: "I bought some beer and am sitting here waiting for you. Where the f#%k are you?"

Fullbug and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. botley

botley Forum Resident

If my screenshot from the OED on page 41 isn't enough for you, I suppose there's absolutely nothing anybody can produce in this thread to show it's a counted noun.

Doesn't matter what type of beer it is, the word has multiple definitions and one of them is a counted noun meaning 'a serving of beer'. If you find fault with this, please take it up with Oxford University Press and I'm sure one of their linguistic experts can explain it to you.

Figbert likes this.
  9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Could be--I'm really not sure. But I think pablorkcz has made the distinction that fits my own (limited) experience (given that I am not a drinker myself):
    Yes! I feel like "a beer" is used pretty universally, but "some beers" or "a few beers" is used mainly in the context of a bar, where the servings are individual. At parties or homes, people tend to use "some beer," if only because they don't like to limit themselves to specific amounts. :)

10. Grant

There are many varieties of beer. To say "beers" suggests that there are several types of the same beer.

I'm sure that if this issue is brought up to Oxford, it would open up quite a debate by the experts whether "beer" should a counted noun or not, and how it should be used.

11. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Don't we all.

Dudley Morris and NorthNY Mark like this.
  12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Seriously, it wouldn't. It's a well settled issue -- maybe you'll grasp it eventually.

hardboiled and Figbert like this.
  13. botley

botley Forum Resident

ONLY IF one uses the word in the context of several varieties. To simply say 'I want six beers' does not necessarily imply you want six different varieties.

Since it's already been added to the dictionary, you can bet that such a debate has been thoroughly explored and settled.

Figbert and NaturalD like this.
  14. Grant

More like:

Cheech: "hey dude, i'm still here at the bar and I bought some beers! How come you're not here?
    Chong: "Hey man! Where are you? I bought some beer and some dude's supposed to be bringin' some good weed over! Where the f#%k are ya, man? It's gettin' weird around here. There's some guy at the door who keeps askin' for Dave. He keeps sayin' he's Dave."

EasterEverywhere and pablorkcz like this.
  15. Grant

You mean agree with you?

16. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

I've always considered "record" to be a shortened form of "recording" rather than referring to the particular medium of vinyl. I certainly say I've gone "record shopping" whether I went to buy vinyl or CDs. I do think that in general usage, people are more likely to associate the term "record" with vinyl, but I don't think its meaning is entirely that limited. For example, the Grammys still give out an award for "Record of the Year" rather than "CD of the year" or "Digital File of the year".

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Maybe they will give out a "Vinyl of the Year" soon.

EasterEverywhere and Grant like this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Grant likes this.
  19. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Hilarious.

just yesterday i picked up a magnet at my local record shop.... figured it would help educate my friends and visitors.

vinyls-1024x768.jpg

Grant and L5730 like this.
  20. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Unless it's a tie and two recording win.:confused:

21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Off-topic, but I really can't stand it when people say 'za instead of pizza. I just wanted to get that off my chest, thanks.

K. Jones likes this.
  22. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

I feel the same way about those who say 'dogs and 'burgers.

23. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

You cannot 'rip' a vinyl record, only a digital format like CD; you can DUB from vinyl...

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Grant

I once ripped a Hank Williams Jr. record in two. :)

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.