People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

UGHHH!!!

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It looks like a great book and has an interesting selection, including a lot of old favourites of course - but a nice amount of obscurities as well, when you flick through the pages. If there was an English language version, I'd have grabbed it as soon as I spotted the thing - no question about that. :)

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I would have picked it up at a certain price depending on the quality of the artwork. I'll pick up just about anything if the price is right. Got a copy of
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painful-But-Fabulous-Genesis-P-Orridge/dp/1887128883http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painful-But-Fabulous-Genesis-P-Orridge/dp/1887128883
    for £2.25 (costs more in postage on Amazon).

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. emitex

emitex Forum Resident

Ugh! Just saw this. If it’s on Amazon, it’s in the social lexicon now. As much as we dislike it, we must hold our head high in defeat!

[​IMG]

Laibach, SuperFuzz, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  5. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

People from certain countries will say vinyls forever. Get over it people.

NaturalD likes this.
  6. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I'll never get over it!! Poor grammar is poor grammar.

culabula, emitex, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  7. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

I bet it started with the band name diVinyls...

8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

That's my case and I'm sorry for the mistake.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I would love it if all the pro-vinyls folks would list their level of education.

Gumboo and dennis the menace like this.
  10. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I'm not for or against the usage of the word "vinyls"... honestly I just don't care if people use the word or not. But reactions like yours are interesting - have you read much of the thread? There is no "educated" argument against the use of the word that would not also apply to beers. Implying (or stating it directly) that people who say "vinyls" are stupid, is not exactly polite. They are no more stupid than people who use the word "beers" when referring to multiple bottles or cans of beer.

NaturalD and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's pretty much mine...:D

:ed:

bluemooze likes this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I didn't say that. I believe that the pro-vinyls folks are highly educated and their logic as expressed in this thread exemplifies PhD.-level thinking. By listing their advanced degrees it would lend weight to their arguments. If you thought that my post implied that the pro-vinyls folks are a bunch of pot-addicted high-school-dropout losers, then that's all in your mind. :)

Gumboo likes this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Beers is the plural of beer.

Vinyl is a noun without plural but which when referring to records is more often than not being used adjectivally.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And in your case you may well be translating from French where it IS perfectly acceptable to say «des vinyles» (although I tend to say «des 33 tours»).

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Well, anyone over the age of about 8 understands what the word "beers" refers to. No degrees necessary. :) And as I learned when I eventually received my PhD in THC from MIT, the faculty of grammar is innate in human beings, and manifests itself very early on in life. So any 8 year old would have no trouble understanding what the words beers, or sugars, or vinyls refer to, and might even use those words intuitively, without any language instruction whatsoever. Ironically, it's the "smart" adults who take issue with the word. And brother, I'm sure you, like me, take some small pleasure in undermining some smug person's insistence that the word is grammatically incorrect. :)

hardboiled and NaturalD like this.
  16. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

You should read through this thread. :) And I've never heard the term vinyl used as an adjective (as in, "vinyl records" where vinyl is describing a particular quality of the record) - it's used simply to state what the thing is made of. Like that compound inside little paper packets used to sweeten coffee, or that stuff that Sam Adams makes that is sold in individual glass containers, and on and on.

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The usage is grammatically incorrect ; no native English speaker would ever say mushrooms soup, even though the plural of mushroom exists and even though clearly more than one mushroom is used in its confection. Mushroom is being used adjectivally.

No native English speaker would ever say "spaghettis" as say, the French do. We come from a generation that was taught and which knew that spaghetti of itself was plural.

And therein lies the issue. Today's generations, confronted with this new type of sandwich, will regularly say paninis where they would not say spaghettis, even though the former is already plural. So too, confronted with what is essentially to them a new format, they form a plural of the word vinyl rather than use records or LPs.

Doesn't make it right: the plural of a vinyl record is vinyl records.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Pardon?

19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There was a textile outlet store near me.
    They would advertise "all brands and makes of vinyls" and "vinyls of every style" and " for all of your needs in vinyls".

Please explain how this is so while at the same time the threads title is so.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Because they weren't referring to records but to linoleum I suppose ?

21. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

I thought this was a recent thing but was shocked when I recently re-read a book about Joy Division: 'An Ideal for Living' by Mark Johnson published in 1986 and the word vinyls is mentioned in the introduction.

22. Benindavis

Benindavis New Member

As a newbie to this forum, but not to turntables and records I must state the following to Steve. To wit : WORD!

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Let's get it banned.

dennis the menace likes this.
  24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Your French is very good. Thank you for your note. Unfortunetaly, most people (including myself) tend to translate from their first language when speaking or writing in a second language. Most of the times it works but some grammatical rules do not transfer well...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    nikh33 likes this.
  25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The thread title states "
    People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end."
    When the reality is that there IS such a word. That it doesn't necessarily, in one mans opinion, apply to records is moot.
    The statement that there is no such word as "vinyls" is incorrect.
    That some use the word vinyls to apply to records perhaps inaccurately ( and perhaps not) does not make the threat titles adamant statement fact.
    That the term "vinyl" has come to be used in the singular form to refer to record albums doesn't mean it is inaccurate to use the plural. It simply means that it has become a colloquial term.

And it most certainly is something extremely petty to get all bent out of shape about.

hardboiled likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.