People, try and resist starting threads that pit songs against each other or albums or artists...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not only is it pointless, it bugs me.

Thanks.

Artist vs. artist, album vs. album, song vs. song.

8/22/15:

There have been so many "vs." polls started recently, the moderators have to crack down or this place will become another useless music site, devoid of the details that make this place so special.

A thread was pulled this morning that pitted the two greatest albums by a single artist against each other. The albums were recorded a year apart and the poster just posted the track listing of each and opened a poll. Didn't even comment on which one HE liked best and why. Two of the greatest albums in the rock era reduced to nothing, pitted against each other, like a person couldn't afford more than one.

Discussing what you like is one thing, but certain polls and "vs." threads that you have to justify what you like, putting you on the defensive about your music, this shouldn't be acceptable.

If you want to talk about a song, artist, album, start a thread on that song, artist, album, and open a conversation. Don't start a poll or a "vs." thread and reduce it to "mine vs. yours" or worse, make no comment at all except to say "go". Hit and run stuff like that should be pulled by the moderators.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Thank you Steve!I agree this is juvenile,and I,for one,am sick of it.Album "weakest link" threads should count as such threads too.

3. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Some of these generate interesting discussion.

Some are silly, but the posts in response can be funny.

Maybe there are too many threads of this type, at times, but I don't think they're all bad.

4. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

I think it depends how the question is framed. I enjoyed reading, for example, what version of "These Days" members liked best (and discovered some enjoyable renditions in the process). I mean isn't this forum somewhat based on "pitting" masterings against each other?

5. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged, Steve, but I do try to restrain myself. I don't start them but after a few pages I can't resist adding my 2 cents.

6. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Steve, this is your place. You should just have Gorts remove the threads that start, continue and end as purely negative. And I've started a few, so now I know.

bobcat, fluffskul and Another Steve like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

YES ! That's the ONLY purpose of those threads, one song against the others.

Comet01 likes this.
  8. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

9. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I disagree. I think those "weakest link" threads are pretty good. Not only does the OP ask you to pick the songs you like but he asks you to give your personal experience with the said record. I think those threads generate some great reflection and commentary. My 2 cents

AidanB, dcincinci, JannL and 49 others like this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

The ones that kinda bug me are the totally random comparisons...

What is a better album The Cars Shake It Up or Johnny Cash Orange Blossom Special? Who's a better keyboardist Christie McVie or Mark Mothersbaugh?

I understand the weakest link ones, or polls of favorite songs/albums by artists (guilty of several Dylan polls here :)) but the non-sequitur comparison threads are a bit puzzling...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Agreed. The weak link threads are somewhat entertaining.

AidanB, JannL, Brian Kelly and 11 others like this.
  12. That's silly.

13. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Thank you, boss. These threads are often the angriest of them all, as people rise to defend THEIR band or THEIR cut at all costs. I avoid the threads, but perhaps now I won't have to pass over page after page of them.

B_big! and JoeRockhead like this.
  14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I totally agree, I don't think I have ever opened one of these types of thread.

What's the point?

B_big! and sjaca like this.
  15. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Good sense keeps me from answering that.

B_big!, goodiesguy and ruben lopez like this.
  16. I don't think we were talking about the well established 'Weakest Link' threads. The ones that bug us are 'Milli Vanilli vs Elvis vs Sinatra' or 'Beatles vs Led Zeppelin, pick the most overrated' kinda threads.

B_big!, noyoucmon and stereoptic like this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Can I say "amen!" to that!

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I can't say that I particularly dislike those type threads but the thinly-veiled hate threads disguised with a title like "Which band do you just not get?"...those suck.

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Agreed.

20. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Good point, why spoil anyone's party....live and let live. People can spend their dough as they see fit and no sense in denigrating anyone's taste...or choices.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No more X vs Y threads. Good.

FVDnz likes this.
  22. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

No more a or b.....can be a AND b...

23. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Well, one's a song and the others a song.

Not exactly apples and orange blossoms.

I have no issues with these; I find them interesting.

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'd rather see a ban on Led Zeppelin threads.

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Maybe if people understood that "weakest" doesn't mean "weak" and relaxed a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.