People, try and resist starting threads that pit songs against each other or albums or artists...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Completely Pointless to say the least.

2. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

But without these threads how would we ever know if the Beatles really were as good as the Smithereens??

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Reviving this thread to get a brief reprieve from all the polls.

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Lol

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Trying to keep this thread at the top of the list. Enough with the VS threads. I did a search for "VS" in the title and it came up with 207 threads. Jeez.

BTW how bout this poll: Whats worse, "VS threads" vs "I hate This" threads.... :shh:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    sami, Atmospheric and O Don Piano like this.
  6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yes, enough with the polls please. Thank you. :cool:

sami and Larry Geller like this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

From last October

That was quite a poll vault

O Don Piano likes this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Need a few mods with thread kill laser guns set to stun

O Don Piano and 1970 like this.
  9. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

That's not why I'm here.

People are here for all kinds of reasons. Some enjoy talking about music more than obsessing about masterings.

jeatleboe, impalaboy, Zeki and 13 others like this.
  10. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I don't know, maybe we should take a poll on that?

11. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Maybe, just maybe, the proliferation of polls reflect the comparative absence of interesting new releases.

I used to buy 15 sometimes 20 new discs of whatever type every month. Now it's down to 4 or 5 if I am lucky. The excellent quadraphonic discs from Audio Fidelity, maybe an occasional release from Ace, Eric or Bear Family.
    And it's no use citing the demise of physical media - there's absolutely nothing of interest in the downloads.

Perhaps Spotify & iTunes and the like are killing the music.

billnunan likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I believe these polls exist because there nothing much left to talk about, that's allowed anyway.

zen, GodShifter, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Half the time it's not "talking" about music! It's arguing and being contrarian for sake of being contrarian. Not real discussions.

And I'll never ever understand any criticism about "obsessing with mastering" here. That's what the host here does for a living! This is an audiophile forum. There are plenty of other Music forums on the net that deal with the regular boring arguments and purposely abrasive threads. It's a cut above here. Or supposed to be.

15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think both types of threads can co-exist amicably and peacefully. 'Obsessing about mastering' is great; it (and Steve's profile/reputation) is what drew in a lot of members (even non-audiophiles like me). Discussing and debating (respectfully) can also be a lot of fun. Both types of thread have value in my opinion.

16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My satirical "Stay" vs "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" poll has succeeded in the first small step of my End Polls Campaign

The "Stay" vs "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" poll was deleted

It's only a matter of time now for polls. The fat lady is warming up her voice...

billnunan likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There are certainly some here who could take the request in the thread title to heart.

Grant likes this.
  18. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Yeah really! Kinda dumb...

19. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

As a new member, I wrongly assumed I was SUPPOSED to vote in the various polls and vs threads,, but I don't wanna bug our host, :confused: I want to keep those new SACD releases coming Mr Hoffman,, I APPRECIATE you :tiphat: and thank you very much.

Tuco likes this.
  20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I vote too, so I guess I perpetuate it as well, my bad...a separate suggestion, how about a separate category for "sicko obsessive Beatles" threads? those are Wicked more annoying to me...just sayin' ....Gomeinosai (sorry).....as a caveat, some of these polls are interesting to me, like fave LP for a group, or most underrated album, etc...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

I am curious about that, are the 'top 5 albums of he 80's ' or 'fav led zep album' also not cool, or is it the beatles VS stones/dylan vs bowie competitive type threads that are the only ones to avoid? :confused:

22. Grant

But, no one really talks about the nuts and bolts of mastering anymore unless it's about the loudness wars, and, even that's getting tired. And, if we do talk about mastering, the discussion gets degraded into obsession with DR numbers.

There is a lot of mastering going on these days, but it is within the record labels, and the results are going to Pono and HD Tracks, and there are a lot of people who won't download anything. And it seems that the only discussion of audio gear is of use for people who can actually afford the stuff these days.

For me, there really isn't much to discuss until the new Steppenwolf comp comes out. A week of that, and then what?

Thom and mpayan like this.
  23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If Steve had shared that sentiment, it would have garnered 145 likes. He doesn't have to say much. ;)

hi_watt likes this.
  24. Grant

We've had this problem with excessive polls and "vs." threads before. It wouldn't be so bad if people would just go easy on those polls, spread 'em out. There's just too many all at once. The thing is that the poll threads make this place seem more like the run-of-the-mill fanzine music forums. This place is supposed to be different. It's supposed to be about AUDIO discussion too. If AUDIO gets mixed in with the music discussion, all the better!

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Then you'd have to outlaw Beatles threads, as many seem to enjoy pitting the individual members against each other. This member wouldn't miss them. :)

GodShifter, Nostaljack and rcdupre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.