People, try and resist starting threads that pit songs against each other or albums or artists...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, those "vs." threads give permission to bash artists and music. When Hoffman repeatedly reposts the section of the forum rules where HE states that we are not to bash, the forum members seem to say:
    "Who the **** does this Steve Hoffman member think he is, trying to tell us what to do?".

2. I am not so sure it's as simple as that. If our host (or just any forum host!) asks that we refrain posting about anything that springs to our mind, he must have good reasons (besides that it bugs him :O))...

O Don Piano and Grant like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's been a lot of them lately, too.

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Nope, not on here it isn't matey.

majorlance and Haristar like this.
  5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Since nobody asked me, if the body of your new topic is shorter than the title, please don't bother! Some people want to start a discussion by asking a question in the title then saying 'Well??' in the post itself.

Dudley Morris and ParloFax like this.
  6. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

That thread couldn't be more entertaining.

If you don't like it, don't click it.

Not everybody here cares about audiophile. :rolleyes:

Guess what, I don't even buy CDs. :yikes:

7. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

:yikes:

How dare you, sir!

Jack Flash likes this.
  8. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I'm streaming music as we speak! Bwahahahaha!

:D

Muddy likes this.
  9. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Heretic! :D

daveidmarx, Eric B. and Jack Flash like this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I thought about starting a "Steve Hoffman posters who look lousy with long hair" thread.

GodShifter, drasil and ralphb like this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The forum got WAY bigger after the recent server/host migration. Perhaps this XenForo system is more visible? It certainly attracted tons of people who aren't really interested in real discourse- as exemplified by the person who replied to my post from yesterday.

Yes- it WAS primarily about sound quality. Even when I joined in 2007. And the inherent geekiness in that seemed to inspire much more interesting conversations about just music and the other forum stuff. Of course there were polls. Of course there were arguments, but at least they weren't overwhelmingly witless.

rxcory, Grant and ParloFax like this.
  12. O Don Piano

A lot of great posters have long gone- even industry professionals who had great info stopped bothering with having to brave filter-less, abrasive idiots.

Larry Johnson, rxcory and Grant like this.
  13. O Don Piano

Seriously- how can anyone actually "like" some of these vs threads, unless they enjoy marginally moronic banter.

Grant likes this.
  14. O Don Piano

Well, pitting songs and groups against each other is a "vs" thing, which is usually a poll. Not always, you're right.
    It's the general meanness and abrasive comments and reactive posts that SH was talking about.
    It gets really ugly here, and there's no need for it.

Grant likes this.
  15. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Ironically, you're asking folks who can't simply ignore music they don't like, to ignore threads they don't like. ;)

druboogie, billnunan and Grant like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And of course that is difficult to find on the internet outside of these forums....purleese.

17. O Don Piano

That thread is the typical kind of garbage thread you can see on ANY other music forum.
    Go there and be entertained.
    This forum started and until recently had a reputation for intelligent and informative content.

Larry Johnson, druboogie and Grant like this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Of course some of them may be dead now, and look on the bright side, a lot of great posters have taken their place.

19. O Don Piano

What?? What does that mean? Help me out here.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Is It Just Me Or Is Cat Scratch Fever An Annoying Song That Has Nothing To Do With Cats? Warning: Ted Nugent Rant Inside"

well??

drasil and Robin L like this.
  21. O Don Piano

EXACTLY the kind of post I've been complaining about.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Must . . . resist . . . creating . . . "Out To Lunch" vs. "Change of the Century" thread . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The piano man is on a rip, you tell em how it used to be in the olde days..:thumbsup:

Grant likes this.
  24. And if you're into the way-blasted skree in particular, you want maximum pfuzz and skronk with a minimum of meh and blorp.

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]
    Your streaming will turn to SCREAMING before we're through with you, my fine fellow! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.