Percentage of used records in your collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident

To late, 77% used/old. I'm counting new as anything purchased new, even if it was already 10 years old. Most remasters just don't sound as good to me. For example, I have an original NM A&M pressing of Supertamps Even in the Quietest Moments and I've yet to come across a reissue where the piano sounds anywhere near as real.

2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Went with 80% but it might be closer to 90.

I tend to purchase more new in the past few years but that's because I'm pretty satisfied with what I have at this time.

I accumulated thousands of used records over a 5-7 year period starting about 10 years ago. I would say that it would be a lot more difficult to acquire both the quality and quantity of good used records on the used market at reasonable prices now though. The market is much tighter I think.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. I'm guessing about 70% used, 30% bought new.

4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I would say 70% used and that percentage is dwindling. I have been buying new releases on vinyl and also signed up to Vinyl Den which is a new album every month.
    Very rare I find used records I want or are in good condition. Used records are overpriced the past few years.

seed_drill likes this.
  5. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

70% here. There are plenty of used records in good/excellent condition at a fraction of the cost.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Probably 80%. When I started it was all new, often from Columbia House. When I was in school, where there were cool used record stores all over the place, it may have gone up to 90% used. Now, it's harder to find used stuff I'm interested in, and most new stuff I want comes out on vinyl, so it's currently lower.

7. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

I would say about 15 used records. All but 2 sound like crud. Maybe I'm just unlucky. The rest (350 or so) are new and I've only had two or three defective. Reissues on the whole sound great!!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

They're all used now because they've been played.

Sorry couldn't resist.

timind likes this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Closer to 100 than 90. The only "new" I buy are still-sealed NOS & I only have a small number from the ones I bought new in the 60s, 70s & 80s.

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I think 0% but there may be a stray or two in the mix.

11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I went with 70%, though it could be as high as 80%. As someone who collects vintage recordings, including 45s and 78s, there often isn't a "new" pressing available to choose from. I don't buy used records to save money. I buy a used records because they are often the best available pressing (if not the only available pressing). However, I don't view them as "used" records... even if that is what they technically are. (If car enthusiast buys a 63 Corvette, for them it's not a "used" car...but a vintage classic.)

On the flip side, about 70% of the CDs I buy are new, with the remaining being used copies (which are often OOP).

12. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

20-30%. Many of the used records I would want are on the pricey side.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Same here. To the point I've sworn never to buy used again.

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. The Pinhead

If you bought them new, regardless of the decade, they still count as ¨bought new and used by you¨.

15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Cool man that's how I read it, just being me.

16. The Pinhead

I know; just forgot to put;) at the end of the sentence:laugh:

royzak2000 likes this.
  17. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have found I find used records in stores other than the ones I frequent.
    I guess I have picked all of the buried treasure to be found in my local stores.
    I guess I need to road trip to Ann Arbor this spring. :righton:

18. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I would say 50-50 is about right for my collection.

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

In that case you need a "0%" category if you want me to answer.

20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I would guess it's in the 30% range. Many of the classics I purchased in my youth new, and I do try to buy sealed whenever I can so I would count that as new as well.

-Richard

21. The Pinhead

Duly noted. I assumed everyone had at least some used records on their collections:laugh:

22. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Went with 80% but now thinking it's much higher. I spent about 10 years from '86 to '96 going to yard sales every weekend they were held looking for LP's. Used to pull up to a sale of nothing but baby clothes and kids toys, look around for a few seconds and then casually ask if they had any records for sale. You would be amazed at how often I'd be invited into someone's home to dig through their collection. I'd start by pulling out the really cool stuff and ask how much they wanted for them. When they replied with " is 50-cents each OK?" I'd go back through for another pass. Managed to build a heck of a collection that way.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

This may make me sound crazy but I'm at 98% or so. Almost all first pressings/originals and a few Classic Records/DCC re-issues that I still bought used. The only records in my collection I bought new is the Beatles mono box.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I put 20%. Most of my collection was bought new. I have not bought much jazz used, but there's a bit of my classical collection I bought used, mostly from eBay european sellers in recent years.

In the late 80s I was a record buyer for a HiFi store, and a significant part of my collection is from those days and before that when I worked for a local chain record store. After I got married in '95 I stopped collecting. My Linn LP12 had fallen into disrepair and I didn't have the money to get it playable. Then about 5 years ago my wife convinced me to get back into it so we could play the collection. I bought a whole new system (some used, some ex-dem, some new) and started collecting records again. I have some 3300 LPs, give or take (2900 cataloged); roughly half jazz, half classical.

25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

85 %

But... all M-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.