Pere Ubu: Elitisim for the People 1975-1978

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The box set features 390 Degrees, Part 2, not the original. I did notice that their website offers the original as a download, which may be the only option at this point, unless I can find it used.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm only familiar with 390 and One Man Drives, but I bought them both and listened to them some (not for a long while, though). I don't remember what DT has to say but from my standpoint as a fan who saw them a lot in those years the records are OK but you really had to be there, and pristine sound quality wouldn't change that at all. I can see why any band would want to get that reaction from a live album.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I, too, would like to know the difference....

4. Tristero

The difference between part one and part two?

5. vince

Well... the "Pt. 1" from the box, and the old "Pt. 1"...
    coz, "Pt. 2" is the "One Man Drives..." CD................ right?

6. Tristero

7. vince

oh........

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The London/Texas live album recorded in 1989 is excellent and has a really good sound.

[​IMG]

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=&Product_Code=ReRPU01&Store_Code=RM

Dino likes this.
  9. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Dave Thomas once told me that all pressings (including the original) of Modern Dance were flawed. I forget why. This was back when the Datapanik in the Year Zero box came out. He basically said the only way to hear that record and most of their early work was with the new remasters. If that's true (questionable) then these would be the best available vinyl releases, despite being sourced digitally. I have a Rough Trade Modern Dance that sounds ok.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

There is great detail about what they feel was wrong with various pressings and which are preferable over at the Ubu site. I would take it all with a grain of salt.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Sounds a lot like this very forum. Gotta respect their passion.

ralphb likes this.
  12. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

That is weird. I have listened to The Modern Dance on the US Blank LP numerous times and a high quality cassette that I made from that LP more than 50 times in the car (on Powered Advent Automobile Loudspeakers or whatever they were called, a Henry Kloss design that I had back then) and I was always taken with the sound quality as well as the music.

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I agree, the US Blank is a fantastic sounding LP, really good. There's a lot of interesting (and funny) stuff about mixes, pressings and sound quality on the ubuprojex website, but like Ralph says above, some (not all) of it should be taken with that pinch of salt.

Front 242 Addict and Dino like this.
  14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've never heard a bad sounding 'Modern Dance.' The original US blank LP sounded amazing, the UK Mercury sounded amazing, the UK Fontana CD sounded amazing and the Datapanik box set version sounded amazing. Either I'm far too easily amazed or David Thomas is very unlucky.

FWIW, the UK LP pressing of 'The Art Of Walking' was also pretty wonderful. The US (apart from being the wrong mix) was pretty noisy. The complaints about 'Terminal Tower' were valid, though. Not sure how Rough Trade's quality control let that get through.

Front 242 Addict and Dino like this.
  15. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

So nice to have a 4-page Pere Ubu thread.

16. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

The Hearthan singles always sounded pretty amazing to me as well.

17. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Somehow I seem to have missed this one...
    What is the sound quality like compared to 390° Of Simulated Stereo, Vols. 1 and 2?

18. ralphb

I haven't played Volume 1 in ages, but Longhorn was live to 2 track and it sounds fine to my ears. The sheer, unrelenting power of the band comes through loud and clear.

crozcat likes this.
  19. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Anyone knows if this box set will be released on CD?

20. ralphb

AmazonUK is selling both Modern Dance and Dub Housing individually on CD.

Cake likes this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I just picked up this set since I didn't have the early stuff on vinyl.

The Modern Dance sounds a bit too digital for my tastes compared to earlier pressings I have heard.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  22. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I just downloaded the box set, and I see clipped peaks on the waveforms in Audacity. I'm happy to give the Ubus some cash, but I'm glad I didn't fork out for the physical version of the set. I'm also glad I have Dub Housing on vinyl, so that I can go back and get a better sounding version on my next excursion Stateside.

23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

That doesn't surprise me. Listening to it a second time, I'm really not liking it.

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

And you can buy the live album for 10 US dollars on 44.1 320kbps download directly from Ubu via Hearpen: http://www.hearpen.com/hr169.html

25. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Any more thoughts on this? Also, has anyone heard the MoV version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.