Pere Ubu: Elitisim for the People 1975-1978

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I dont have the box but Pennsylvania is the album that made me feel a new era of ubu had started. They really gelled on that one. David had found a new voice in his writing.

vince likes this.
  2. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Got it on Friday and I really like it a lot. Had Ray Gun Suitcase and Pennsylvania on cd before but wanted them on vinyl. He has edited them a little to get them onto the vinyl (although some of the removed songs are on the 4th disc). Sounds great and a lovely package. I avoided getting the first 2 boxed sets as I have Datapanik In The Year Zero cd box and vinyl copies of The Modern Dance and Songs Of The Bailing Man but now I really want the first 2 sets as well.

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Fopp is having a Fire Records sale at the moment with the Pere Ubu CD/LP reissues included at £7/£12. I just picked up the first two on CD and will spin them tonight :)

mr.datsun likes this.
  4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Looks promising!

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Damn. I just paid for new copies of NPT and AOFW. I might see of they have MD, even though I already have 3 different copies of that. I have been impressed with these new LPs.

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The two CDs I bought sound good, tempted to go back for the rest!

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was impressed with the NPT CD. And I've heard all the boxset CD remasters over the years. The LP of Dub Housing wowed me, too and I have originals of all the first 4 LPs including the withdrawn AOW.

8. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the 1994 masters of their first five albums (on CD) to the 2015/2016 masters? I'm curious how the newer remastered improve on the olders' sound.

9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I enjoy mine also and I think Dave&Paul did a wonderful job remastering the music for vinyl.But I still prefer the directors cut of Ray Gun Suitcase.As we know David Thomas is NOT a fan of vinyl but it is still a all around nice box set.Glad I bought it!

10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Well the new record was just handed to me.So you good folk know what I will be up to this afternoon.I will get back later with my thoughts and veiws.Later everybody.

vince likes this.
  11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Nor do I but that album has a very jazzy feel to it. Perhaps that is the Anton influence. I didn't know Anton was unhappy but my understanding is that he can be a bit prickly. Does he still play and make music? He sort of became Lori Carson's musical director after the Palominos, but haven't heard much about him since. Then again, I haven't kept up on my Skronk like I used to.

12. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Steve B and pobbard like this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

This is a lesser period, but it still has its charms. The Tenement Year is a very good album.

'The Lost Album' isn't really lost, and I doubt it's even an album. It's just a collection of b-sides and CD-only tracks from the three albums, minus a whole lot of live tracks and remixes (mostly of 'Love, Love, Love').

pobbard likes this.
  14. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I ageee as to Tenement Year, the first side of which is awesome and in my opinion almost as good as the first two Ubu albums. Allen Ravenstine’s wonderful noises are a treat and I miss them on “Worlds in Collision.” “George Had a Hat” contains some of my favorite David Thomas lyrics.

15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Bummer they can't include Story of My Life in the new set.

16. watusi

watusi Active Member

I'd like to see a double of Ray Gun Suitcase surface as I'm not crazy about the other stuff in that box set but if that doesn't happen I won't cry a river (I guess, or maybe I will for the hell of it).

I heard Ubu for the first time LIVE, opening for The Pixies (Raygun era). It was something else. I was there to see The Pixies and I do like Trompe Le Monde quite a bit but Mr. Francis was throwing fits and throwing his guitar down and it was a poor showing in Toronto, unfortunately. Mr. Thomas and the rest were great, however, I wish I could re-see that show! Saw the recent Ubu tour of the early singles and, well, that sounded great. A small room and the sound mix was great, a lot going on.

mr.datsun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.