DCC Archive Performances by Rock bands on Ed Sullivan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyK, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I was in High School in the mid 60’s and in College in the late 60’s and the early 70’s and I remembering watching the Rock bands of that era on Ed Sullivan. A few months ago I saw an ad on TV for a collection of these performances on VHS. All I can say is that if you enjoy watching original performances of the biggest Rock Bands of the 60’s, you need to subscribe to THE ED SULLIVAN'S CLASSICS COLLECTION (VHS tapes) by Time and Life. These tapes contain ONLY performances by Rock bands (no talking mice, no plates spinning on sticks, no comedians). The quality of the early performances (black and white) are fair at best, but the later performances that are in color are really great (close to DVD quality). Of course, it’s fun to watch a young Bo Diddley perform “Bo Diddley”.

Following is a small list of some of the great classic performances on these tapes.

The Doors infamous performance of “Light my Fire” (This performance really pissed off Ed)
    All The Beatles performances
    The Beach Boys in white suits doing “Good Vibrations”
    Jefferson Airplane performing “Crown of Creation”
    Rolling Stones doing “Satisfaction”
    Rascals doing “Grovin’’ and “Good Loving”
    Four Seasons doing “Big Girls don’t Cry”
    Motown groups, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, The Byrds, Tommy James, The Turtles, James Brown, Elvis etc, etc.

Even though the first three tapes are kind of so-so, I highly recommend these tapes.

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

There's also apparently an OOP series of CDs called "The Sullivan Years." I have the 60s rock collection of said set, and it's ridiculous...ALL of the tracks are live vocals to pre-recorded music (much like, for comparison to oft-seen clips, the Stones' later appearences) except for the Association, who actually perform their songs. Odd.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.