Person of Interest - New TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have seen two episodes of this new series. I like it, and I'm wondering if anyone else from here is watching it.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I watched the first episode. I like Emerson a lot. I'm cautiously optimistic for the series. I forgot to set the second episode to record. . . so missed it. It has potential.

3. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I am intrigued by this series. The first episode did some basic building of the foundation of the series, reminded me a bit of a scaled-down 'Minority Report'. The second episode revealed that Emerson's character has a partner (played by a former 'Lost' actor), that Emerson's character is extremely serious about remaining anonymous to everyone, and, the episode ended with a pan to the left of Emerson as he left the building that revealed something of note - suggesting we may be entering another take on the Abrams' style of storytelling.

4. larryk

larryk Senior Member

I've enjoyed the first two episodes, and am planning to continue watching.

Good concept and I'm a big fan of Michael Emerson. Caviezel is good too. They will no doubt flesh out their backstories in coming weeks.

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

We'll find out where that limp came from.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I like the show but both of those actors chew the carpet in different ways, heh.

Clint Eastwood mumbling, etc.

Hope the show lasts. Afraid to like it, it will get cancelled..

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Loved the Prince Paul song they used at the end of the second episode!
    Yeah!

8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I've watched both episodes and like the show. But like Steve said above, I'm afraid to like a new show anymore because when I do it gets canceled...

9. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Though I empathize with any one who invests time in a TV program only to have it cancelled, it has happened all through TV history (I'll grant that it's more in recent years as channel owners want that quick bang for their bucks).

I have had my share of disappointments in programming decisions.

In the end, I'll still give shows a chance and keep my fingers crossed.

10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I watch it solely for the Taraji factor.

Needless to say, the fast forward button on my DVR remote gets quite the workout.

11. The first two episodes were very good for a show that appears to nominally be a procedural. Though the transition cuts of fake surveillance footage are going to quickly grow banal.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I agree. Jim Caviezel is way too mumbly and low-key; I think they needed a younger guy with more energy. More Hugh Jackman-ish, less Clint Eastwood.

I like the concept, but there are a lot of comparisons you can make with the old 1970s show Search. And this new show makes a lot of leaps in logic in terms of how quickly you can gather information on people, take control of people's cellphones (even when they're turned off and in someone's pocket), and how you can instantly access any street camera in New York City. It's far from the disorganized chaos of the way things really are.

But producers J.J. Abrams and Jon Nolan are very bright people, and the show at least has some good basic ideas here and there. And Michael Emerson is a very compelling actor; he was one of the most fascinating characters in Lost, and he's one of the reasons I kept watching that show to the bitter end.

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

We've watched the first two episodes and I'm on the fence, leaning slightly towards a thumbs down.

Maybe it's me, but Emerson seems to be channeling his Lost character too much.
    Same mannerisms, vocal 'attitude', etc.

14. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I've never seen Lost, so I don't have the same hang-ups that a lot of Lost fans seem to be having with the character.

Overall, I haven't been this into a new TV drama in a very long time.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i watched both episodes and found them to be a little on the boring side. to me both characters are quite bland.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Maybe that's the way he talks! :)

Dana Carvey does a bang-up impression of Emerson as Ben Linus in this skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQB0NqRNCCo

He totally nails that halting, hoarse quality of his voice. And BTW, Emerson is a helluva actor. I don't think I ever saw him blow a line in Lost dailies. Same with Terry O'Quinn, who blew me away, week after week -- an impeccable actor who makes everything look very easy.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That had occured to me :agree:

I agree about Terry O'Quinn, he's been excellent in every role I've seen him play.

That Dana Carvey clip is good :thumbsup:

18. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I like it...and the Eastwood mumble too.....works for me!

sean

19. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

This show is so CBS-formulaic, it annoys me somewhat. Be it Ghost Whisperer, Mentalist, CSI-whatever, every episode is a self contained identify the crisis or issue and resolve it approach to TV making. If the writing and acting is good, like with Fox's House, I'm OK with this approach. When the writing is poor, as it has been with a lot of this show so far, it really grates.

20. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

The break up scene with Caviezel and his girlfriend last week was good. It may sound hokey, but I found it moving.

Linda Cardellini is on it this week :thumbsup:, so I'll be watching.

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Watched last week's episode (#3) last night, the one where the ex Army guys are committing robberies.

I liked the song playing at the end of the show. Voice sounded vaguely familiar but can't quite place it. Anyone here know who it was?

22. Lonson

I think last night's was number four?

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yup, I'm a week behind.

24. Lonson

Oh yes, me too, I neglected to notice you were watching the previous episode.

I guess I'll get caught up. . . I'm apathetic about the show.

25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.