Person of Interest - New TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I just started watching season 1 of this show. It's okay so far, with shows like these I'm really not that concerned with the "reality" of what they are doing. The instant the show introduces a supercomputer my mind says "fantasy, just go with it". I accept the general conceit that this device exists in the reality of this particular TV show and I don't really think about that aspect of it again.

I'll reserve any judgement until I finish the first season.

Jack White and The Panda like this.
  2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Person of Interest is garbage - but I like garbage sometimes. (Especially when I have a Tivo with a 2TB drive.)

First: It's a Batman rip off - with Batman's billionaire part being played by one person (Ben Linus) and the kicking butt part being played by another (Jesus.) Together they make one Edward Woodward Equalizer type.

Second: "The Machine's" full name is: Deux ex Machina.

The fighting is cartoonishishiy simple. People are shot or stabbed and recover within seconds. The only reason why someone lives or dies is due to what the writers are told they need to do.

The sheer number of times people are shot when they are just about to shoot someone else is mind-boogling.

The fact they are in New York is just stupid for "hiding out" but it being Manhattan is even sillier. Clearly the would have been tracked down by now.

All that being said I like the show - I turn off my brain and try not to question it.

And Root, Samantha, Zoe - and almost all the other women on the show are hot hot hot!

Vidiot and bababooey like this.
  3. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

The fighting seems more simple now than it was in season one. That older episode with Reese disarming the US Marshalls looked pretty cool.

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Another great episode this week. It took place in 2010 and showed how Finch's first assistant got killed.

They did the timeline zoom from 2010-2014 at the end of the show. I froze it and watched it frame by frame. It almost told the story of the whole series in those few seconds. Nice editing.

Vidiot, eddiel and sgb like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I wish they hadn't brought the girl back so soon. She's had a lot of exposure. Part of the fun of a supervillain is having them pop in and then pop out.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

It just keeps getting better and more interesting.

sgb likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes. Though I agree that the violence is getting more cartoonish.

The "computer view" pages at beginning and end are getting more complex now and showing you information about the episode and the next episode.

Looks as if Root (Amy Acker) may be leaving the show for a spell again. Can't wait for her to come back.

[​IMG]

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's a shame. I really disliked her character as wway too one dimensional (we already have enough of them), but last nights ep really opened her up and she got to flex her acting muscles much more.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Before I went to sleep last night, I was trying to total the body counts in both buildings. I figure Shaw killed at least 4 people and between Root and Reese, there were at least 10. maybe 12, dead people in the other place. That wouldn't be noticed by the NYC police, I guess. They're used to 50-100 murders per day................o_O

Vidiot and eddiel like this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Despite flying off to Paraguay at the end of last night's episode, Root appeared in the previews of next week's show. Only five episodes left in the season and I presume she'll be in the season finale - so, that's at least 2 out of the last 5.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think she's part of the whatever finale they are building up to. I'm sure her going to Paraguay is related to what happened in last nights episode. My guess is after this story line ends she'll be back here and there.

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

What do you think happened to Camryn Mannheim's character?

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well good, I hope Root is in every episode to come. Acker is a very interesting actress.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just hope Acker's career and Root's plot trajectory are in sync; I just hate it when the writers have to bend over backwards to accommodate what actors need in the real world once the showrunner's already got the narrative underway.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Bebel Gilberto - Sun Is Shining

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Acker gave one of the best performances of 2013 in Much Ado About Nothing, unfortunately Village Roadshow didn't market the film during the awards season so it went unrecognized. Still, a fantastic performance worth seeking out.

16. The Wanderer

Best episode yet; Amy Acker is very amusing in her performance and delivery.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She's off to be one of the leads in Extant, a new sci-fi series.

Oh, you mean the character. I'd say Root drilled her out with a saber saw.

I like how she was so absolutely confident that everything would turn out correctly, then had her commupance when she realized that she knew very little about the lives of the people that The Machine was telling her to save or manipulate.

Note that we have yet to see or even glimpse The Machine (or the new one, Samaritan); it's merely an off-screen presence that's felt and heard, plus we see the visuals of it zipping around and following certain audio or video feeds. The best episode of the show so far I think was the revelation that The Machine realized that bad people were going to come in and tear it down, so it issued an order to a moving company to disassemble The Machine and move it somewhere else. Hilarious and well-done... and close enough to being possible, assuming you buy into the idea of an all-seeing sentient computer.

Another flashback episode, which showed Finch as a brilliant teenage computer genius growing up on a midwestern farm, was also quite revealing. This show is always on the edge of being boring and predictable for me, but they stir in enough new stuff to surprise me. Killing off the cop, Carter, last year really surprised me -- I didn't see that coming, and I thought they worked hard to make her death really count.

One question: the key point of yesterday's show was that the bad guy's had to steal an ultra-fast computer chip in order to make the new Machine work. If that's the case, then how does the current Machine work, using 9-year-old technology? If they didn't have access to the new chip, how did they write the software? (I ask a lotta questions.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Amid the vast sea of paint-by-numbers police procedurals (some of which I do watch), and inane I'd-buy-that-for-a-dollar sitcoms (yeah, I watch some of those too), there really are some serious bright spots on television these days. As mentioned on other threads, The Blacklist and The Good Wife are really terrific nuanced interesting shows. I'd like to nominate Person Of Interest as another.

I've been a fan since the beginning, but I thought week's episode was seriously great. I found myself asking, "How do these guys write this stuff?"

Well written, well acted, good production values. What's not to love?

Vidiot likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The new machine needs the chip to be faster, more agile and process info quicker than the old machine, so it can outwit the old one. ?????

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

So it can do bad stuff faster.

21. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Fusco absolutely cracks me up.

He manages to refer to Root as "Cocoa Puffs", "Cukoo's Nest", and a "superpowered nutball" all in one episode - love it!

Dok, forthlin, konut and 3 others like this.
  22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yes, I like him and we need abit more of him.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, they bought the new Macintosh Pro! :hide:

I did a spit-take when he did the Cocoa Puffs line!

24. The Wanderer

And she just accepts it essentially as 'And so?'

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I guess I need to watch this weeks episode. Sounds like I missed a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.