Person of Interest - New TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

CBS is f'ed up here too on Comcast. Commercials louder than the show. And the volume fluctuates during the show segments too. CBS seems to be the only channel this is a problem for so not sure if it is Comcast or CBS that is f'n it up. Happens on most shows - not just POI.

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

nothing like watching a dark scene in a good show when CBS big banners pop up telling you about some stupid show ,NBC is just as bad

Karnak likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That completely sucks. The "CALM Act" was supposed to fix this, but clearly it hasn't. What I hear on DirecTV is that the promos are about 3dB louder than the show, but the show and commercials are not that far apart. My bet is that the cable company has some kind of processor in line doing nasty business.

I have heard professional sound mixers complain that between the low-talking actors and the accents in Elementary, the dialogue is very difficult to understand. I have no idea why directors let actors get away with muttering so often nowadays -- it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Nobody seems to understand the art of the stage whisper today.

4. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

That's good to, uh, hear. I thought my hearing was getting worse faster than I thought.

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

My remote very busy raising and lowering sound levels.

Commercials = MUTE

6. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

My TV has a sound stabilizer setting. Commercials are kept at the same level as the programs. But it doesn't seem to work the opposite way. I cannot hear Sherlock's dialogue on "Elementary"!

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I don't know who deserves the Nobel prize more; the guy who invented the remote, or the one who invented the mute button.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or the guy who invented a machine that can not only aggregate and process information from all over the country to ID patterns, but can also use that information to predict specific future chaotic events in the future, such as exactly when someone will be somewhere, and what they'll have with them when they get there.

Karnak likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We are Victims of Mutterering Actors (VMA).

eddiel and konut like this.
  10. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Perhaps we can negotiate with the Muttering Actors Union (MAU).

Vidiot likes this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Vidiot and rockclassics like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jim Caviezel is an excellent actor, but godamighty, he does mumble on Person of Interest. Michael Emerson is excellent, not only in acting but also his delivery; he has a very odd mid-Atlantic accent which I find amusing, but it's perfectly apt for this role (and that of Ben Linus in Lost). You never have to strain to understand what Emerson is saying.

Karnak and forthlin like this.
  13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I hear Amy Acker just fine

jpelg likes this.
  14. rockclassics

Does Jim Caviezel have a normal speaking voice or is that the way he always talks? Seriously, I have never heard him speak other than the show. I thought he only talked that way for the show, but maybe not? To me, he sounds like he is trying to imitate Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry character.

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

This is not his real speaking voice, although he is a soft spoken, almost shy individual. I've always assumed they were going for a Clint Eastwood type tough guy kind of vocal delivery, as well.

I don't have a problem understanding him on the show (or Johnny Lee Miller on 'Elementary', either, as some other people have complained).

16. Karnak

I don't have a problem either. Miller does speak more quickly; perhaps it's in character or a British thing. I could have sworn that Caviezel spoke more loudly in the first season, though.

17. Karnak

Here is an interview with Caviezel. His comments are of interest but at times he does sound like Eastwood as well.

One of the reasons I like his character in POI is that he seems always repressed-locked down. Some of my favorite fictional characters are repressed:shrug:(I think of Stevens in Remains Of The Day).

rockclassics and fitzysbuna like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wouldn't say "repressed," but I'd say his character is extremely "controlled." It was refreshing a few episodes ago when Caviezel went berserk in the aftermath of the death of Detective Carter -- very interesting to see him out of control and ruthlessly killing bad guys left and right.

Karnak likes this.
  19. rockclassics

Thank you for the link.

20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I gotta say that I really dig the fact that the writers have made a conscious decision to elevate this series above the criminal normal procedural. They could've gone that route, making every week's story about another number. I'm sure that could have lasted a good long time. But it's hard to bolt on big picture stuff late in a series' run (CSI immediately comes to mind).

I personally am very concerned that we (US citizens) have willingly bartered away our freedoms and civil liberties for a bit more security. I love that POI is touching on this with the whole Samaritan arc.

While some may complain about implausible fight scenes from time to time, I like this series because it's smartly written and well acted for the most part. The production values are pretty good as well.

rockclassics likes this.
  21. rockclassics

Not to steer this thread into any kind of political discussion............... but, I always wonder how much reality is included or used for the stories in POI and shows like it. I have to think there is a trace and then it is greatly exaggerated to make it entertaining.

22. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Although there were some who didn't like the "trial" (season finale) I thought the writers did a good job presenting both sides of the constant surveilllance argument.

I'm not steering, either BTW.

Atmospheric likes this.
  23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was half way through the episode thinking this might be it for me. But, the twist at the end brought me back.

No Static likes this.
  24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Orwell must have been clairvoyant.

Atmospheric likes this.
  25. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Commercials = SKIP

Been skipping them since Feb of '02. Thanks ReplayTV and Tivo. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.