Person of Interest - New TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Okie dokie then..

Jack White likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was silly, but it didn't kill me. I've seen a lot worse on network TV. When you think about it, the sillier thing was that Reese was resisting going back to work with Finch as hard as he did. C'mon, what else does he have to do in his life?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, he could work in a circus, get stabbed in the shoulder (like on the plane) and not even react or feel it. All while being the greatest slow talker (and low talker) on Television.

Miracle man.

Sorry, too much non-reality..

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very low talker, agreed. I did kind of question him getting stabbed in the back with a fork and not feeling it, so you may be right: they may be started to drift into the Land of Unbelievability.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:righton:

sgb, Karnak and fitzysbuna like this.
  6. shokhead

Thank god a remote is easy to use.:agree:

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I really enjoyed this episode. Witty, focused and entertaining. The computer guy was on Freaks And Geeks and the stewardess character was a nice extra. The lines - especially the one about 'salt and pepper being irresistible to soccer moms' made up for any strenuous disbelief exercises.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Single stupidest thing in the episode: Reese manages to beat up, kill, or incapacitate about a dozen people without a single other passenger or stewardess noticing. Insane.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This. And I love this show, but Harold going all Flight Simulator was just too much. You never know when you'll need exact replicas of passenger jet controls at the ready.

10. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

There are many who underestimate the power of the man who created THE MACHINE, the now sentient MACHINE, and Sensei Reese. You will pay.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

While the ep did put me off a little for reasons mentioned above, I did enjoy it. They always have these super organized organizations that they are squaring off against, so this one with Reese versus human snakes on a plane was a nice switch. If they can vary the eps to have them saving people vs. fighting sinister groups for control of the machine, then I'm happy.
    The ending was very good, and I liked the scene where Shaw made a fool of her old macho boss.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And I love that her boss was named Hirsch. The worst boss I ever worked for was named Hirsch. He was really the only mean sadist I ever worked for and he was a doozy of one.

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Oh man. I remember having one of these as a kid but couldn't remember the name of it.

Yes the game controller thing did bother me but it was still a good episode.

14. billh

billh Senior Member

When the pilot was disabled, I thought Mr. Reese was going to climb into the cockpit and land the plane himself, like Karen Black or Kurt Russell. When Harold pulled out that game controller, I had to laugh. It reminded me of when Roger Moore hopped over all those alligators. And Mr. Reese’s voice is annoying. When a woman talks like that (the Kardashian sisters) it bothers me, but with him I can sort of ignore it. After all, he’s just doing his best Clint Eastwood imitation.

The whole show is preposterous. People don’t get in trouble one at a time. That machine should be spitting out so many numbers not even Superman could save them all.

But with all that said, I like the show anyway. That and NCIS (the original NOT Los Angeles) are the only current shows I faithfully watch.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't think there was anyone in the audience who thought differently from you, Reese was going to do the old cliche. I give them credit for breaking out of a cliche situation with a novel (if wacky) approach.

16. shokhead

sarah-shahi-22293.jpg Bet she could fly the plane if she was there.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Susanna Hoff's bigger sister

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Flight Simulator was just too much" the idea that he just the thing is pretty silly, after a good show this was pretty so so

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

So that's what she looks like when she smiles :)

20. Karnak

:thumbsup:Yes. And all those scenes where Shaw and Root go in guns blazing, shooting everyone in the knees, shoulders and elbows.
    My suspension of disbelief was taxed way before the plane stuff.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. shokhead

:agree:

22. shokhead

If you watch a tv show needing to believe everything you see then TV might not be your thing. Just say'n.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Person of Interest is entertaining, but believably is hardly it's strong suit. Ability for one good guy to take out 10 bad guys simultaneously? All the time. Bad guys who can't ever hit anyone? Yup.

And then there's the machine and it's ability to predict, in detail, what's going to happen next. I mean, it's one thing to assert it aggregates information to predict who's going to be killed. Not realistic, but OK. It's another to suggest the machine can tell you what to do and where to go because in 10 minutes someone is going to be at a particular place pointed in a particular direction.

Despite all that, I enjoy watching it.

24. Karnak

Certainly. My point was if you found yourself bailing on the show because your suspension just snapped, there were opportunities to do that before Harold's flying exercise.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, as I said in a different thread, that's kind of like the Western movie cliche where ten bad guys shoot and nobody gets hit, and then the good guy shoots his gun and ten guys fall of their horses. It's a 100-year movie convention. I have a bigger problem with what I call the "Mission:Impossible Rubber Mask" scenario, where the entire plot hinges on an inherently impossible gimmick that doesn't really work. In Person of Interest, that would be their ability to instantly "pair" with somebody else's cell phone and then listen in to everything they do and track all of their movements, regardless of whether the phone is turned on or off, and regardless of where the phone is. That's very, very hard to believe. Hell, there's parts of my house where I can't get any reception, just because I live in a dodgy cell area.

That's a nebulous area, too, but I have to congratulate the writers for coming up with enough new spins on the problem to keep it interesting. As I said much earlier in this thread: it's hard to even buy into once supercomputer that can tie into a traffic camera, a camera inside a 7-11, a camera inside an apartment complex's elevator, and a camera inside a police station. The problem is: some of these cameras are not connected to the internet, so the conceit is that somehow the computer can tap into them anyway. Even if they were connected, sifting through all that data is such a monumental job, if you gave the NSA $10 trillion dollars, they wouldn't be able to go through a week's worth of information in a year. It's all too much.

But... it's an interesting story that sometimes crosses the line into unbelievability, and I think actors Michael Emmerson and Jim Caviezel go a long way towards elevating the material. In lesser actors' hands, the show would be a lot worse.

fitzysbuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.