Personal profile

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been looking at the personal profiles of some of the members and find it very interesting how diverse the equipment lists are. Shouldn't the equipment you listen to on be considered when you state an opinion on sound quality? I mean, won't Buddy Holly sound very different on Klipschhorns vs AR 1's vs PSB's?
    What do you Guys think?

BTW, It would be great if everyone filled in their profile. There are plenty of members (like myself until today) with blank profiles.

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Well, I think equipment should be considered when someone states that he or she thinks something sounds good or not. I also think that some people are just shy about listing their system. I am!

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey John, don't be shy! My system is pretty mid-fi with growing pretentions of tubiness (is that a word???); I realize that I'll never have a kilobuck, megakillsonic rig because I have too many other more important things to commit time/money to (boy, I can hear gasps coming from all corners of the globe...) I pieced together a super modest Dynaco tube system this summer for under a grand with tubes (sold toy trains to get there, that's another story), and I can only use it when my son is at daycare and I have time to set it up and tear it down; I wish I could always use it, but it's not gonna happen - it's not state of the art, but it takes me back to 1963 pretty doggone well. I have fun, and that's what matters. Someday I may be able to afford that Marantz 8B and 7C, but if I don't I'll still have a blast dreaming! As for reviews based on what others are using, I'd kinda like to know if someone is making judgments based upon a boombox, a modest rig like mine, or a neat-o supersonic system like the stuff Steve masters with - gives me some idea of how/why somebody likes or dislikes certain mastering jobs...

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hey, I know a place that has a Marantz 8B and 7C! For sale but pretty pricy....

But Dean, if I follow your suggestion, I'd never get to state my opinion again! :D

If I list my components, there are probably lots of members out there who have never heard - or even heard OF - my stereo components. So it may not help too too much....

But it's something to consider when evaluating a members sonic opinion on something....

Interesting idea. :cool:

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I understand, John! But I took the chance. I hope you do too.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.