Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I still refuse to accept the belief that "Bilingual" is crap!!

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't think it's crap, and when it's good it's breathtaking. But it's no Behaviour or Actually, either.

3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I feel like I'm going against the flow somewhat, I've never really liked 'Very', but find Bilingual much more interesting. I've struggled to find much to enjoy since 'Yes'.
    Listening to the reissued LP of 'Nightlife', I think that it is their weakest LP from the Parlophone years. 'Elysium', 'Electric' and 'Super' all do nothing for me, and I do keep trying with them.

4. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

After 'Very' (1993) I lost my love for the PSB a little bit. Then came "Fundamental" (2006) and "Yes" (2009) and I rediscovered them again. Now along with all these reissues I've also found "Christmas' and ""Super"...:goodie:

portlandjulian and JeffMo like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Those are my two favorite late era albums by a very wide margin.

tin ears and portlandjulian like this.
  6. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I think VERY is their last wholly satisfying lp for me and I love THE SURVIVORS from "Bilingual" but I thought "Nightlife" their worst when it should have been their dance masterpiece. I really liked "Fundamental" but most of the 2000-2017 PSB has lacked their strong melody innovation. Wow - but they're still around and playing so that's a testament to their durability!

PeterVanDoffs and MarkusGermany like this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think "The Survivors" is a beautiful song with an absolute gorgeous melody. Maybe try and play it a few times as the melody might need repeated spins to fully sync in. However I really like Bilingual with one exception "Electricity" which really doesn't belong on the album in my opinion.

8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think that'Give it A Go' 'Breathing Space' and 'Requiem' from Elysium are all amazing songs with gorgeous melodies. Try and play those 3 a few times and see if the songs get better.

morgan1098 and CheshireCat like this.
  9. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

No love for Very ? Its a pop masterpiece :)

10. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I love Very, but it hasn't dated that well IMO. Of course the songs are still great and I'd love a remake in Fundamental-style :D

11. portlandjulian

Opps I meant to say................No love for Yes ? Its a pop masterpiece :) Its the reissue that I am looking forward to, besides Elysium :wiggle:

JeffMo likes this.
  12. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I've got love for Yes but not for Elysium. I prefer the instrumental versions of Elysium but not by much. Listening to Fundamental right now.

MarkusGermany and CheshireCat like this.
  13. portlandjulian

Snap so am I. !!!!!!! With all that is happening now, its even more relevant today.

The Elysium instrumental cd is nice for a lazy day :)

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Watched the documentary "A Life in Pop" again. Great band, great catalogue - waiting for the next batch of reissues...

CheshireCat and portlandjulian like this.
  15. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

After reading their book "Catalogue" I realised again how many remixes are still not released in digital form.

16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

After reading their book "Catalogue" I realised again how many remixes ar still not released in digital form.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Maybe someday a Complete Catalog USB data stick?

Cool coffee mug btw!

c-eling likes this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love Bilingual!

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sheer amount of commissioned mixes on both sides with rights issues are going to keep a majority of these wax only I'm willing to bet. There are some gems, but most are god-awful :laugh:

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have to be honest and say that somewhere in the mid '90's, I started to lose interest in the direction of where Neil & Chris were going musically. More often than not, their albums for me, started sounding too similar and not very interesting. This morning, I revisited the "Nightlife" album, which I completely shelved after my first spin of it, back when it was new. This morning, the song, "Happiness Is An Option" really got to me and I can't believe that I have overlooked this great tune for so long. With that said, I should be truthful and admit that I rarely, if ever, like a singer "rapping" lyrics to a song, but leave it to Neil and Chris, to find that perfect balance of rapping, a catchy female chorus and a touch of classical music, along with what we all love about Pet Shop Boys and come up with this album sleeper!

DesertHermit, Maurice and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

Neil figuring if Bernard can rap on Electronic albums..., why the hell not? :laugh:
    Does a nice job on 'One Thing Leads To Another' from Relentless

portlandjulian and Maurice like this.
  22. portlandjulian

Just dont mention these
    1. Liberation" (E Smoove Mix)
    2. Liberation" (E Smoove 7" Edit)
    3. Burn (Baba Stiltz Remix) etc, etc :goodie::goodie::goodie:

c-eling likes this.
  23. portlandjulian

Maybe some of them will show up in their Contains Everything boxset as a best of the mixes cd set, a bit like the Mix cd that came with the limited Pop Art set ?

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

Yeah, like those, And most found on Disco 2 :laugh:

portlandjulian likes this.
  25. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

This. The best we'll ever see will be an incomplete Complete set.

portlandjulian and c-eling like this.