Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

That has to be an error in the listing as these releases are newly remastered.

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It's a beautiful album is the best way to describe it. Then went into a whole new territory with Elysium. There are a few duds but the rest of the album is stunning.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I do!
    Disc 2 (The Instrumentals) :D

portlandjulian likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cory, you are a winner. I am too. We all are. Participation awards for everyone!

:D

c-eling and portlandjulian like this.
  5. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

And this is our reward :D

Pet Shop Boys answer your questions about their “Catalogue” reissues project - and some other subjects - in the first of three audio interview clips which will be going online in the next few days. Thank you to everyone who submitted a question.

6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

May have been asked before but are these latest round of remasters (March 2018) cd ONLY or will there be cd AND 2lp sets available?

7. c-eling

Album only on wax.

8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Long live Ego Music! :) :hide:

portlandjulian likes this.
  9. portlandjulian

I will 2nd that jamesc :)

I think what fastinates people about me
    And I'm really grateful to my fans
    Is that I'm totally fearless
    And people really get that
    In the sea of negativity
    I'm statue of liberty
    That's why people love me
    It's humbling :hide:

jamesc likes this.
  10. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Classic snarky PSBs!

OberonOz and portlandjulian like this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

A fascinating fan Q&A on YouTube around the reissues - of note in the one below is that they mention wanting to reissue Relentless, and a box set of Disco, plus other remixes. Neil also mentions wanting to do a comprehensive singles box set, which would be amazing.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That one wasn't as horrid as I recalled.

But "Hold On"??? :sigh:

Scottb and LivingForever like this.
  13. portlandjulian

Its their version of We Are The World, that is according to the comments in the booklets :D

jamesc likes this.
  14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh... can't argue with you on that one. :)

Scottb, JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  15. portlandjulian

Not an album, however just as good and a jolly good read :D

We are delighted to announce that Pet Shop Boys’ once-a-year publication “Annually” will be published on April 2nd, 2018. This year’s 64-page hard-backed book will include: - A guided tour with Neil and Chris around Pet Shop Boys' London, visiting locations and venues with a strong PSB connection. - An in-depth interview with Pet Shop Boys' long-standing programmer Pete Gleadall. - A report on Pet Shop Boys' relationship with fashion after their recent links with Dior Homme, Burberry and Top Shop. Plus exclusive news and photographs, your letters answered, and more. Pre-order your copy of Pet Shop Boys “Annually” exclusively from the official store from 10 am tomorrow, January 23rd. Copies of “Annually” will be dispatched on April 2nd.

[​IMG]

CheshireCat, c-eling and jamesc like this.
  16. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Great. Was hoping they'd make the exclusive CD a recurring thing though! :D

Jerry Horne likes this.
  17. portlandjulian

Yes so did I, there is a always a fly in the ointment :)

18. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Just confirmed this flaw.
    I am definitely selling my new box because of this error, stupid error.

Furthermore, take these notes:

• Hornets synths in "All over the world", during chorus have lower volume than original - not good.
    I think I'm gonna get the original Japanese CD with Bonus Disc and the Together Singles.

• Note that in "Elysium", Winner is being known for having the orchestra volume to be ultra-reduced (some say it got removed). Not good.
    • Mastering of original "Fundamental" is much better than in the reissue.
    • "Format" sports the b-sides with better mastering than any other CD Single or these reissues.

19. c-eling

Notes taken, thanks
    The Japan is nice for the bonus disc, but the SQ is dismal on that as well.
    Format further crushes what little dynamics are left on the original singles. I prefer the singles from which they derive.
    Fundamental is so close in mastering i'd probably fail a blind listening test :cheers:

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Please don't soil this thread with this song :D

jamesc likes this.
  22. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Hi c.

The Japan version has a gem and is the remix called "Love Etc (PSB Sex Mix)", which has the same 6/8 time signature,
    different from the 4/4 version time signature that turned out to be very weird. They chose the latter one for the reissue (Neil and Chris picks are... [face of disappointment] )
    Whoever is "Further Behind" these reissues, made sure that the collector does not get away by getting any PROMO, or exclusive gems found in certain rare issues, oh yes! I can't buy this talking "for the love we have for the fans".

I think sound quality for this release has no winner in whatsoever format - however, due to the mistakes done in reissue, you'd better stick with original.
    The new remaster is not an improvement in my opinion. It's just 1.8dB lower.
    When I say it has no winner (we end up being no winners, after all, LOL), believe me.
    I have heard Vinyl Factory pressing, original UK vinyl pressing, and it's all about the same.

I have checked the tracks "After the Event", "Up and Down", and "The Former Enfant Terrible" on
    DYSMC CD Singles version 1 and 2 - there they are brick-wall.
    Format Compilation - Waveforms look nicer there, have far more peaks so I take it's the best. Can't tell for the other 30 tracks or such.
    FL reissue - Same waveform as Format.

Fundamental is very close. But the reissue is louder.
    Use foobar2000 and do a ReplayGain scan over each album set.
    Set the ReplayGain listening for "track" and then, choose a song and position randomly over the songs.
    You will notice that the original Fundamental is lower, and moreover this took place in a time where albums were being put out 6dB louder average.
    Use headphones for this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    MonkeysCantSwing and c-eling like this.
  23. c-eling

Thanks for the info Krafty, I'll check them out. For Format I was checking disc 1.(Which the earlier ones found on the singles were better (The Truck Driver etc.) I expected the later b-sides to be no better than the singles so I never checked :)

24. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Ok, so I went to re-check what was on the back of my mind. It is true what I said, but thinking in practical terms...
    I really believe the improvement is close to zero here.

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  25. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Ok, we have two scenarios here.
    All the b-sides released before the 2000's were still not fully affected by the loudness race.
    So yes, if this b-sides compilation is in order of date, you will find disc 1 is probably a brick-wall compared to the old ones.
    However, out of curiosity, the b-sides put out for the Yes-Era singles, are looking better than the originally issued.
    Know I know where you're coming from, that's right.

c-eling likes this.