Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute, but i would love to have some of the extras on the 2nd cd. Problem is that i've heard it's gonna be louder than ever.

c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

In terms of 'lack of dynamics' yes, these remasters have accomplished this -->Very, same as the 2001's. But I don't think these upcoming re-do's are going to be any worse.
    For what was released, you only have a few choices. Grab the old 12's, 7's, cd pro's/singles/Alternative/Essential isn't too bad, Story retains dynamics on the early stuff except for It's A Sin, not sure why that one was compressed.
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR17 -0.01 dB -19.11 dB 7:04 01-West End Girls (10'' Mix)
    DR12 -0.01 dB -14.29 dB 4:40 02-Paninaro (7'' Mix)
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.96 dB 7:41 03-It's a Sin [Disco Mix]
    DR14 -0.01 dB -15.51 dB 4:19 04-What Have I Done To Deserve This? (7'' Mix)
    DR11 -0.01 dB -14.59 dB 4:15 05-Jealousy (7'' Mix)
    DR13 -0.01 dB -14.25 dB 4:51 06-Being Boring (7'' Mix)

Format was completely destroyed... Disc 1 anyways
    Unfortunately from Very on modern compression crept in, nothing we can really do about that. Nightlife 2017 I felt was a minor improvement, the others kinda awash, shame the Yes extra's weren't touched.
    For the upcoming as I've stated, Very and Bilingual are the only one's i'm going to grab as I'm hoping they can do something with the SQ for the main albums, wasn't a fan of the original mastering's on those.

*This is all in my own opinion and personal tastes of course.
    Other's mileage and preferences are always respected :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Pledge Music is listing Very as one record and the same price as the other two. It even lists the side A and B track listing, so I guess that the end of the debate, for now ! :)

[​IMG]

PRODUCT DETAILS
    The 1993 album Very was a number one record for Pet Shop Boys in the UK, and has to date sold in excess of five million copies worldwide. It contains 5 singles, including their cover of Go West – a number 2 hit for PSB – and lead single Can You Forgive Her?.

Track List:

Side 1
    • Can You Forgive Her?
    • I Wouldn’t Normally Do This Kind of Thing
    • Liberation
    • A Different Point of View
    • Dreaming of the Queen
    • Yesterday, When I Was Mad

Side 2
    • The Theatre
    • One and One Make Five
    • To Speak Is a Sin
    • Young Offender
    • One in a Million
    • Go West

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

Not bad, maybe under 49 minutes or so? if they tack Postscript directly after Go West

portlandjulian likes this.
  5. portlandjulian

Not album news, but a new live DVD / Blu ray release on the way (previously mentioned in their Annually book). :)

Pet Shop Boys return to the Royal Opera House in London tonight, two years after their original “Inner Sanctum” shows there. There will be four performances of “Inner Sanctum” this week and Friday and Saturday nights’ shows will be filmed for commercial release - David Barnard, who made the “Pandemonium” and “Cubism” films, is directing. All four performances are sold out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this release. Was there for one night two years ago and absolutely loved it.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Just got back from this. If you didn’t get to the Inner Sanctum shows, or even if you did, you’re gonna need this live show. Easily the best of the three times I have seen them, and an incredibly regal venue. This light show was one of the best I’ve ever seen- so well designed and executed, and Neil was in fabulous voice (how does he do it at 64?!). The crowd was euphoric, and of course everyone was up from their seats by the end.

It’ll be difficult to top this as gig of the year.

8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Fantastic news! Really looking forward to that one. :)

mestreech and portlandjulian like this.
  9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Going tomorrow!

Are there any musicians onstage other than Chris? I saw a live drummer in one of their Facebook posts the other day but that was a festival “Super” gig.

10. portlandjulian

I presume it was the same as last time at the Royal Opera Houes, ie 3 extra musicians on keyboards, drums and backing vocal. I seem to recall it was the same musicians who were on the Super Tour.

[​IMG]

11. portlandjulian

Thank you for the report. Glad you enjoyed it :)

PretzelLogic likes this.
  12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Yes me too. A new dvd/blu ray. YES

13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yup. Simon Tellier and Afrika Green on drums, and Christina Hizon on keyboards and violin.

LivingForever and portlandjulian like this.
  14. portlandjulian

And now a new book :)

One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem' by Neil Tennant will be published by Faber Social on November 1st. The book is Neil’s choice of one hundred of his song lyrics plus a short poem and also has an introduction written by Neil detailing his personal history as a songwriter and his creative processes. Neil will be in conversation with Michael Bracewell at a special event to mark the publication of the book. Full details of the book and the event can be found at the link below. A special signed limited edition of the book will be available exclusively at the online Pet Shop Boys Store.

Neil Tennant: In Conversation from See Tickets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Wow, that was astonishingly good. 4th time I’ve seen the boys since 2010, and easily the best.

NunoBento, jamesc, chrrrd and 2 others like this.
  16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

:goodie:So, just two weeks .. and then we‘ll get the final batch of reissues.
    Very and Behaviour belong to my group of PSB favourite albums. I have also preordered Bilingual.
    From the complete catalogue I just skipped Release and Nightlife.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Freek999, JeffMo and jpmosu like this.
  17. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Bilingual is included now:righton:

shaboo likes this.
  18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The old 2001 release of Bilingual had 33 tracks- the upcoming 2018 reissue only 27....???

19. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

The 2001 CD set had 27 tracks as well. There's a version on iTunes which also contains a bunch of remixes from the Bilingual special edition CD - that's why there's 33.

jamesc, MarkusGermany and c-eling like this.
  20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I see. Thank you

21. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I like the new remasters of Very, Bilingual and Behaviour so much. Just checked some tracks on each album...

JeffMo and shaboo like this.
  22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Do you feel that the new remaster of Behaviour is better than the other versions out there? Id be interested to hear your opinion :)

23. c-eling

How in the world could the old 1990 Behaviour be bettered? If PSB has ever put out anything close to 'Audiophile' this would be it :laugh:

24. c-eling

@portlandjulian
    Did you grab these?
    Looks like the PSB forum gave some good reviews.
    Ordered Bilingual and Very, hoping for an improvement compared to the 93 and 96 :)

JeffMo likes this.
  25. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Much better IMO! I had the old original CD (ok) and the 2001 remaster (terrible).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Jarleboy likes this.