Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

The original limited editions of both, Bilingual and Very, came with bonus discs containing material that cannot be found on the Further Listening discs. Very much worth keeping.
    "Really loud" is a relative term. Compared with Very (DR 9) there are quite some 1993 albums that are substantially louder, for example Aerosmith's Get A Grip (DR 7).

c-eling likes this.
  2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

After someone posted different DR numbers for the original 1990 'Behaviour' for US and EU I wonder if the 1993 US mastering of 'Very' is the same as copies pressed in other countries. The US version in the booklet says it was mastered by Bob Ludwig. Yes for a 93 release 'Very' was too loud.

c-eling likes this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Wow I didn't know that 'Get a Grip' was that loud.

Carlox likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

US EMI JAX matches Very/Relentless EMI Swindon

shaboo and Scottb like this.
  5. c-eling

Gave these a listen this morning.
    'Very' 2018 I did not enjoy, there's an odd bass thump on a few tunes that didn't quite sound right.
    Bilingual 2018 I did.

chrrrd likes this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

There are a few songs on 'Behaviour' 2018 that have that same bass thump.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

Sound's unnatural as hell. It's awful on Can You Forgiver Her.
    Other than the boosted bass, pretty much sounds identical to the 93.
    No issues on Bilingual, the 2018 will be my go to for this album :)

portlandjulian, Scottb and shaboo like this.
  8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes it sounds very unnatural and on a few tracks from 'Behavior' it has the same unnatural bass. At least Bilingual sounds better then the old version.

shaboo likes this.
  9. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

My criticisms of Bilingual most definitely do not hold for the vinyl edition of Very; what a magnificent sounding record! Strongly recommended.

portlandjulian and walrus like this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A lot of people (rightfully) point to Definitely Maybe as the turning point in the loudness war, but it was well under way by mid-1994. Get a Grip is definitely one that pushed the envelope in the worst way possible....I also think the INXS and Depeche Mode records around that time begun pushing DR levels into the red as well, even if they weren't as bad as things would get a few years later.

11. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

„Very“ was the first one in the early nineties that made me turn the volume dial back. I didn‘t care for Aerosmith back then, so GAG flew under my radar. The „best of New Order“ the following year pushed this even further and „Morning Glory“ in 1996 was sonically a real annoyance for me. (I bought „Definitely Maybe“ much later.)

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sorry if this is answered already - long thread - but I just got the original UK CD for "actually" and wonder what you think of it. Since this is a fully digital recording the original CD mastering can't be too bad, can it?

What about "please" and "Behaviour"? Right now those first CD issues are dirt cheap - 2€ - and I wonder if they will do. Since PB never were as important for me as other bands. Or are there vinyl editions that are that much better? Thank you!

13. c-eling

Of course this is all subjective, and to my preference's and tastes :angel:
    Looks like different peak levels between US and UK Actually, I only have the old US Neon, not sure if they are level shifts or not. I'm fine with it.
    Please on compact disc is a bit different as we have pre-emphasis on em all except for as much I know a later Japan TOCP which corrects it. I prefer my old US pre disc over the Japan.
    Vinyl, my US Ron Mc Please sounds like the PE disc. I'm not a big McMaster fan but I really enjoyed his 1988 US Actually 2x12, (he did the US 87 as well)- it was re-issued again with the Always on My Mind 12 inch. I get better soundstage over the compact disc. I have no clue on how the UK cuts are. Anything after that I prefer the old compact disc's. I wasn't impressed with the 2018 Introspective vinyl so I didn't go any further for the older titles.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Neonbeam and portlandjulian like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

As usual your knowledge is impressive, thank you!

For now I will get the old CDs. The only PB vinyl I actually have is an original UK "Very". The "actually" with bonus 12" looks tempting though. I remember seeing this occasionally and not especially expensive too.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

Really is a nice set presentation wise. And yes probably can still be picked up for cheap. I paid about ten bucks about 7 years ago. :)
    [​IMG]

16. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Just ordered the three new 2CD sets. These three are all in my PSB top 5.

17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Never heard the Behaviour: Further Listening disc before. Really like We All Feel Better in the Dark -- and, well, just about everything else too! What strong set!
    Happy boy, RH

Maurice, morgan1098, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  18. c-eling

They should of replaced DJ Culture (Extended) with- This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to Leave (Extended Mix)
    Odd the 12 inch and cd single that contains this lists the time 7.24 :Japan mini is 9:29

19. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Poor Neil got his facts wrong when he denied that there was a 9 minute plus version, until it was pointed out that there was on the 3" mini single released in Japan with the Behavior CD. I seem to recall that it was initially edited due to the total playing times allowed on singles in the UK at the time, stupid rules and all that :sigh::sigh::sigh:

tin ears, c-eling and jamesc like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have said before that disavowing the single "How Can You Expect To Be" on both Dicography and Behavior FL is unforgivable. The single remix is 10x better than album version.

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

The video mix is 11x better. :p

morgan1098, portlandjulian and JeffMo like this.
  22. c-eling

Good info, thanks Julian. It sparked interest when I was looking at the Jealousy single, wondering why it was edited.

portlandjulian likes this.
  23. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Got to listen Behaviour & Very.
    I did some closer analysis in Fundamental and Elysium.

Very
    Definitely a bass boost, but it is on the level of the first other reissues.
    Nothing to complain since it's following a pattern.
    Whereas original Behaviour and Introspective have actually more dynamic range and bass,
    the original Very does not. So I recommend the acquisition of Very.

Behaviour
    Behaviour was so so well mastered back in 1990 that I really don't see any improvement of
    any reissue up to date. Perfect in every way, the original. A great bass boom and the treble
    reduction on the new issue is a no go for me. Stick to originals.

Fundamental
    The songs on Fundamental are almost the same as the originals,
    being that new Fundamental is a bit more louder and has more bass.
    However the level of waveforms in the reissue have more dynamic range.
    I can recommend this reissue, specially for the second disc.

Elysium
    Elysium is a bit brighter than original Elysium. It's almost like the LP.
    I prefer the LP in this case, so, even with the orchestra disappearing from Winner,
    I can recommend Elysium as well, slightly more treble.

Bilingual (the most strange record in the world), Nightlife and Release are "non-releases" for me.

So to me:

Please - 2018 Reissue Recomended - Better than 2001 reissue, better than the original Emphasized CD (even Deemphasized).
    For those who prefer CDs. But if you're still into LP, this reissue is not better than LP, though.

Actually - Original Recomended only.
    Introspective - Original Recomended only.
    Behaviour - Original Recomended only.

Very - 2018 Reissue recommended.
    Fundamental - 2018 Reissue recommended.
    Yes - 2017 Reissue recommended.
    Elysium - 2017 Reissue recommended as long as you got Winner Single.

portlandjulian and Dave 81828384 like this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Is this the single mix?

25. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

My PC speakers are currently playing up, but these are the various mixes with timings :)

• Mixer: Julian Mendelsohn
      • Album version (3:56)
    • Mixer: Brothers in Rhythm
      • 7" Perfect Attitude Mix (4:10)
      • Perfect Mood Mix (5:09)
      • Classical Reprise (3:06)
      • Extended Mix (6:04)
      • Video Mix (4:10)
    • Mixer: David Morales
      • New 7" Mix (4:10)
      • Def Mix (4:01)
      • Eclipse Mix (3:38)