Pet Sounds DVD-A: Prototype for the future

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Preamble: 1. This is not a DVD-A vs. SACD thread.
    2. This is not on the merits of Pet Sounds' sound quality (that's another thread).

But... I have a dream that in 10 years, the record stores will be dominated with a format that allows for multiple mixes, and loads of video extras. And why not? Movie DVDs already contain multiple commentaries from the people involved (for music, the producer and singer), different angles (for music-alternate takes). That's why I think the Pet Sounds DVD-A is the model for the future. It has nearly all the elements one could want, and it makes music purchasing more exciting again. It's the first DVD-A I've bought that has so many extras.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's perfectly executed, packaging wise. Great extras, putting aside the sound quality of the mono and stereo, at least they included them. Like I said, my fantasy is Revolver to be packaged like that...but it will never happen.

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It would be very hard to imagine anything else that could have been asked for. I would agree that it would make a great model for future efforts.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would hope that if we do have an all PCM world, we will be at 24/192 instead of 24/96.

I simply don't feel the cymbals among other instruments sound good at 24/96.

5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This thread was just supposed to be about packaging and features, not the sound quality.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Wait till Hi Storage DVD come out in a year or two. They would be able to fit the following, all on one DVD:

Videos of every song, if they exist
    Original Mono
    Original Stereo
    Hi Res Stereo
    Surround Mix
    Alt surround mix where YOU alter the placement

And still have space for more goodies.

7. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Oh no... not another format!

That's it - I'm going back to valves and vinyl!

8. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Well, getting back to the original intent of this thread, I agree a format that allows for multiple mixes could very well bring back a little excitement to buying music. *Providing* the user is able to mix to his/her preferences and make a copy to listen to. I'm on record as an advocate of providing mixes other than the original--giving the user the opportunity to create alternative mixes could be great fun.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Agreed on all counts! I have only read about "Pet Sounds", but I'm aching to buy it (not right now, since my local store wants $50 for a copy!).

In that respect, can you imagine a DSOTM release following Pet Sounds' footsteps? Original stereo mix, Original quad mix, Guthrie's 5.1 mix, the DSOTM "making of" featurette... yes, I'd buy the disc yet AGAIN!

:thumbsup:

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'd buy that, just for the Quad...which beats the tar out of Guthrie's mix, IMHO!

11. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I listened to it once, at a friends' house. It was sourced from vinyl (I think - it sounded as if it was vinyl) and encoded in DTS onto a CD.

It was a far more adventurous mix than Guthrie's one, for sure. I think Parsons took a lot more risks with his surround version.

Sorry for digressing - now, back to the original thread :)

12. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes, if the music is so boring that it requires gimmicks in order to generate excitement. Pet Sounds is certainly not such a beast. In fact, it was intended for mono. Any multi-track recording could be subject to countless multi-channel interpretations, all will be right and all will be wrong. But yes, it's how you enjoy the presentation that counts.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Pet Sounds packaging is pretty sexy. I love that they can squeeze all that stuff onto one disc. But what distinguishes this disc from a regular DVD? Regular DVD's can now have 24/96 audio, multiple soundtracks, video, etc.

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

Last night while listening to Sinatra at the Sands in Hi-Rez surround I was wondering:

Why couldn't they just make hi-rez sounding DVD video?

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, I thinbk its a forgone conclusion that the record companies have to do SOMETHING new. Or else they cant sell us our 45/Lp/Cd/cassette/8track/reels collections to us yet again.

I like the idea of providing all the tracks of the mix to us allowing us to do our own mix. I think they would make some serious money selling that to musicians. Most of us have Cool Edit or Pro Tools, or Goldwave (free) on a Pc that allows us to do multitrack mixing. I know I would spend WAY too many hours remixing the Beatles stuff. And I know I wouldnt be alone!!!!

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Hi rez takes up too much disc space. No room left for any long-form type video. That's why the video content never has an MLP soundtrack, just DD, DTS or PCM.
    The MLP PPCM 96/24 5.1 track, which is on the DVD-A side only & is seriously better than the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V side.

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Remember that King Crimson DVD? You had a choice a multiple angles (one for each musician) and the one you chose was placed n the center speaker. Pretty neat stuff. Haven't seen that since.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The upcoming Kids Are Alright DVD-V will be similar, with iso cams for each Who member, and even an audio track where you can just hear The Ox by himself! Can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.