Pet Sounds: What's the best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yamfox, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm just curious what is currently considered the best stereo version? Is the standard release acceptable? Or am I better off buying the SHM Platinum? I thought there was also an MFSL SACD, but I could be wrong. I'd just like to find a nice-sounding stereo version. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Orthonormal

Orthonormal Turbo-nerd

I'm shopping around too. Judging by the samples I listened to on Spotify (free) and HDTracks, the HDTracks stereo version sounds really good to me. Is there a direct equivalent of the HDTracks version on CD? Are all the Mark Linnett stereo versions pretty much equivalent, or did some releases get mastered badly?

3. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I went with the HDtracks stereo version in 96/24. If you enter "HDSAVINGS20" you get a 20% off discount, so I effectively got it for ~$15.

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The best version is the one where the original mono mix is panned hard left and there is a commentary track by Murry Wilson panned hard right that explains what is wrong with this recording and how it should have been done. :)

5. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

The MFSL is a Hybrid SACD. It sounds very nice. To me it sounds like how it would have sounded had it been released in 1966. All of Mark Linett's releases sound pretty much the same and are very nice too. Linett's though, really let you hear the background vocals much clearer. On the MFSL they are much lower in the mix, similar to how they are on the mono mix.

6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

7. George P

George P Notable Member

The MFSL is so good that the first track should be renamed "It's finally nice."

proedros likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Thr AF tops all the mono ones I've heard (which do not include the DCC).

9. Orthonormal

Orthonormal Turbo-nerd

I would do that, but I'm pissed off at HDtracks for the forseeable future, and the digital version does not come with digital liner notes, so I would like physical media if there's an equivalent or identical mastering available.

10. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

The one in Brian Wilson's brain. They need to release the outtakes only and call it Pet Drops. Or beating the Dead Pet. Not to be confused with all the famous Beating the Dead Head releases in a dead horse race to see who can squeeze blood from a turnip. Which also could be the next title the Who releases.

i go with 2001 stereo HDCD !

MarkusGermany likes this.
  11. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I know this is cheating a bit, but I really love just the backing tracks, which can be found on the 3 CD Pet Sounds box, really incredible stuff...beautiful sounds and combinations of instruments

12. Frank Psych Right

Frank Psych Right Active Member

Now there's a 50th Anniversary Edition on the way. I reckon it's not another remastering? Does anyone know if this is a re-use of maybe one of the re-masterings mentioned in this poll?

13. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

My favourite stereo version is now the Analogue Productions SACD mastered by Kevin Gray.

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The 2001 Mono/Stereo HDCD is just terrific! Pure Heaven!

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you (and/or others) compared that to the MFSL SACD? I ask because I think the latter sounds superb.

16. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Can't fully participate here as I only have the 1986 DMM version (Capitol EMS 1178) - and that's a bit tosh. I'm guessing all the others (listed) are better.

17. Yes indeed. It's easily my favourite version of PS. Less mud than any other version I've heard.

18. drbeachboy

Where do you hear mud on any of the released stereo versions? Every single release whether on vinyl or CD sounds terrific to my ears.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  19. Sorry, I meant compared to the mono but it does seem to be a bit smoother in the high end to my ears than the other stereo version I have. The Capital one is nice, I find the MOFI is a little bit nicer.

20. drbeachboy

Yep, definitely remastered differently, but all were done from Mark Linett's stereo remixes.

kevywevy likes this.
  21. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the green line doesn't have more votes. Personally I like the greenline and audio fidelity cd almost equally

22. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member

Out of all the cd versions I have heard my list goes

1. Audio fidelity
    2. Greenline
    3. DCC
    4. 30th anniversary
    5. 40th anniversary

And then the mfsl stereo is good for stereo, but I still don't listen to it

23. It's not a "Sandoval" disc. He had something to do with the Beach Boys two-fer reissues in the 1990's but not the Pet Sounds disc. The 1999 was either Gastwirt or McMaster. I'll have to check my discs. It has mono and stereo versions.

24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Has anyone mentioned that the choices omit the WB "brown" mono LP (also found as the second disc of Carl and the Passions)? After the DCC, this is the best mono vinyl version.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  25. drbeachboy

Well, since I posted that back in 2011, I now know that it is McMaster. I now have a copy of it. BTW, Sandoval did the 2000 remasters that covered Sunflower through The Beach Boys '85 albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.