Peter and Jane Asher, Child Actors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Skip Reynolds, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind Thread Starter

Mildly interesting for those of us old enough to remember- Peter Asher and sister Jane, appearing in the old 50's Robin Hood TV series.

Too bad the original theme music is missing ("Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen..."), I assume for later syndication broadcasts.

10+ years later, Jane was gorgeous - I couldn't believe it when Paul MacCartney let that one get away. I learned recently that she's still acting, and still looking good.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

" get away" Why did they break up?

3. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks for that Skip. I never would have recognized the Ashers. Cute kids though. Didn't Dick James sing the theme song to this show?

4. Skip Reynolds

No idea.

5. misko

misko Forum Resident

Paul couldn't keep it in his pants.

6. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Jane was sick of Paul sleeping around?

7. alexpop

How many Jane Asher inspired Beatles songs ?

8. misko

misko Forum Resident

'I'm Looking Through You " is one.

9. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

We Can Work It Out

10. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

The long and the short of it (well the long of it anyhow) is that Paul McCartney and Jane Asher were romantically involved with each other for most of the decade of the sixties. After several years of dating, McCartney proposed to Asher and she accepted over the Christmas holidays in 1967. However, in June of 1968, Asher allegedly arrived home prematurely from a trip to find McCartney in bed with another woman (Francie Schwartz apparently). She immediately informed McCartney that their engagement was off and told him to pack his bags. According to McCartney's close friend Barry Miles, Paul was extremely wrecked in the aftermath of Jane calling off their engagement and tried several times to plead his case to her but regardless of how hard he tried, she refused to take him back. Miles, remembers McCartney telling him around this time that (and I'm paraphrasing here) " I had the best girl in the entire world, and I blew it all to hell!"

Over the years as referenced above, it has also been alleged in several books that the affair with Francie Schwartz was not the only occasion that McCartney strayed from Asher. What remains unknown (at least as far as I'm aware) is if Asher was aware of these earlier dalliances and just finally hit the roof when she found McCartney and Schwartz in bed with one another or if the McCartney-Schwartz affair was the first time Asher was made aware that Paul wasn't being faithful towards her. As I assume everyone knows, Asher despite maintaining a relatively visible profile since the nineteen sixties is one of the few people associated with The Beatles to have never written a memoir or tried to cash in in any way shape or form. My guess is that Jane Asher is either an extremely classy lady and has moved on with her life (the theory I subscribe to) or she still harbors quite a bit of resentment towards McCartney and doesn't want to revisit her relationship with him in what would likely end up being viewed as a "slam book" of sorts.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Skip Reynolds

"And I Love Her" (I think is one)

12. Skip Reynolds

I think this is most likely the case. Classy lady from a classy family.* Thanks for the synopsis- I recognized a lot that I'd forgotten long ago.

* Peter and Jane's mother was George Martin's Oboe Teacher in the late 1940's, an interesting coincidence of intertwining lifelines. She and George reminisce in the George Martin bio movie from a year or so ago.
    Her husband, P&J's father, was a renowned Physician, whose accomplishments included describing and naming Munchausen Syndrome.
    And if you're bothering to read this you already know about Peter's long and fascinating career.

13. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Yeah I'm pretty much as big of a fan of Jane Asher's as I am of The Beatles. I have most of her films in my collection along with a small collection of memorabilia (movie posters and a few articles detailing her romance with McCartney). I think she's a classic case of born a couple of decades too soon. If she was in her twenties today with her gorgeous looks, style and flare she would be on everyone's "A-list".

14. Skip Reynolds

Well, she's in her late 60's today, and having seen recent photos of her I sure wouldn't kick her out of bed.* Of course, I'm 64, so there's that.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  15. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

She can knit a sweater by the fireside...Sunday mornings, you two could go for a ride...who could ask for more? jk

I'm sorry but the door was left wide open! ;)

16. Skip Reynolds

We cool.

17. alexpop

For No One.

18. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

When he'd call her up, her line was engaged. He had had enough and wanted her to act her age. They had lost the time that was so hard to find and he would lose his mind. Cos she wouldn't see him.

;)

19. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I googled some picture of Jane Asher, still very attractive. Think of the memories she must have of Beatlemania, the Maharishi visit, etc. And she's got the class to not try to publish a sleazy Patty Boyd book revealing all the stuff the public doesn't know yet.

20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Never picked up Pattie's book (have been meaning to for awhile). Is it that sleazy?

21. misko

misko Forum Resident

No.

22. Skip Reynolds

My understanding is that she, Eric, and George remained friends through thick and thin.

23. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Did Paul cheat on Linda?

24. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I don't think so. Paul claimed that he and Linda were only apart two days for all the years they were married.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's like alleging that it's cold in winter. Those guys had no lack of female company while on tour, of that I have no doubt.

It would not surprise me if he did not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.