Peter Buck new album "Warzone Earth" due in October 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident Thread Starter

The former R.E.M. guitarist will soon accumulate three studio albums (and two EPs) since the band's breakup in 2011 -all of them exclusively released on the vinyl format and on the Portland (OR) based Mississippi Records.

The new album is called Warzone Earth and amazon.com has a release date of October 16, 2015. In an interview that appeared on salon.com, this past month of March, Scott McCaughey said:

"It’s going to be the first one, I think, where he wrote all the songs by himself and sings lead on all of them. On the first couple records I would help him finish a few lyrics here and there, maybe sing on a song or get Corin Tucker to sing or somebody else. But this one I think is going to be all, 100 percent songs by Peter Buck, sung by Peter Buck".

The cover art was drawn by artist Mingering Mike and was posted last week on the facebook page of the R.E.M. Timeline. According to this Smithsonian magazine article: “He wanted to be a superhero,” says Mike, who obliged Buck’s fantasy".

[​IMG]

captainsolo likes this.
  2. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

It's great to see Peter Buck is active musically after the (long overdue IMO) breakup of REM.

Linto likes this.
  3. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Laibach likes this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

You've had better luck than me with his pressings.
    I had 2 copies of his first LP and both were cut off centre. Far from perfect pressings sadly.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

He stopped by on Friday, he told me his new album is being pressed in Portland.

6. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

Another solo album I'll never get to hear. Great!!

JimC likes this.
  7. Laibach

8. Laibach

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

10. Laibach

I think the previous album had a couple of songs that could be described as radio friendly. "Life is short" is one of them but I can't remember the name of the other. This new LP it's probably too early to say since I would like to hear it in its entirety but as Peter Buck has said in interviews he's not constrained to do a type of album or particular type of music, he has total freedom over the creative process. We knew from the beginning that he's not a singer and has never been, but if I recall correctly even Robyn Hitchcock in an interview said that Buck's singing was improving (and in this respect there's quite a contrast with the first album). But I admit I'm not impartial here since Mr. Buck is a musician with whom I identify I probably would buy any music he puts out to market whether good or bad.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, as he said "the songs for this one took inspiration from the brilliant cover artwork..."

12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i understand but as a solo career its been pretty lacklustre and i am a lo fi garage rock fan ...
    i love Peter 's contribution with Tuatara , the first 3 albums in particular , I would love him to go that route again with Scott and Barrett Martin ;
    weird ethnic jazz, film noir instrumental , some groovy stuff , some originality for chrissake
    That or a well produced , written and sung , more classic garage , punk , power pop , psyche or americana album which i think he is capable of but not this lazy "i dont give a damn" garbage
    We love you Peter

Laibach likes this.
  13. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Did anyone ever get this? If so, please tell us about it..

14. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I get the backlash. I'm glad they got the payday (albeit late). I love all the records. Go Peter.

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

He's made his millions, so he REALLY has artistic freedom to release what he wants! :laugh:

16. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Sad that this great guitarists solo work has only attracted one page of comments over the past year.

ted321 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.