Peter Fonda - The Hired Hand coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Finally Peter Fonda's 1971 masterpiece The Hired Hand is coming to DVD at the end of October. I saw a pre-order page at CD Universe.

Peter Fonda directs and stars in this stunningly filmed Western saga, playing a drifter who decides to return to the wife and child he left behind years earlier. After a confrontation with a man who killed friend Robert Pratt in a small town, Fonda and pal Warren Oates head to Fonda's old home. A peaceful, new life eludes the compadres, however, when they have to leave Fonda's wife and child to battle the man responsible for Pratt's murder. With Verna Bloom, Severn Darden.

A stock remastered version of this movie played in the "Restored Classics" series at the Calgary International Film Festival last year (2002). I enjoyed the film a lot. The remastered print was beautiful to watch on the big screen. I'm sure the DVD will look great.

This past summer in June, Peter Fonda came to Calgary as the Calgary International Film Festival presented The Hired Hand for a one week run theatrically. The version that was shown this time, may have been a director's cut. I was out of town and unable to attend the gala.

Fonda was kind enough during his stay here, to film a cameo for us for the main Calgary International Film Festival commercial. It's very cute/funny. The commercial is a spoof of sorts on Easy Rider.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.