Peter Frampton Details Memoir ‘Do You Feel Like I Do?’ 20/10/2020.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dance_hall_keeper, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Rolling Stone:

Peter Frampton has teamed up with former Rolling Stone editor Alan Light for a memoir, Do You Feel Like I Do?, set for release on October 20th.

“This is my journey,” Frampton says in a statement. “All I ever wanted to do was play guitar and it’s taken me many different places – physically and mentally. I’ve been to the moon and back without a rocket, but also to the depths of despair. You never stop paying your dues. Failure has been my greatest inspiration. I brush myself off and then I want to ‘do it again.’ Do You Feel Like I Do?”
    [​IMG]

I'm in.

2. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to that. He's had quite the career/life.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Interesting choice of a cover. Hope he talks a bit more about his high school relationship with Bowie and his Dad, and of course, the Humble Pie years.

mbrownp1, longdist01 and g.z. like this.
  4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Smoking is a turnoff for me. I'm not personally offended by it; I just think it's disgusting. On a purely visceral level, this cover decreases the odds that I'll buy the book. I doubt I'm the only one.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Yeah, that's why I said "interesting." I can't believe it was approved by him. I think of him with a guitar in his hands, like a black Gibson.

longdist01 and swandown like this.
  6. nicktf

nicktf Forum Resident

Well, at least he has A(lan) Light for it.

sekaer, Nick Brook and izgoblin like this.
  7. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I'm in. I think the cover is fantastic.

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I was hoping for a photo outtake from the I'm In You cover shoot.

:--)

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

He should narrate the audiobook through a talk box.

Manalishi, Jarleboy, rocnred and 25 others like this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The cover is absolutely bang-on for a 70's rock star. Frampton and a guitar would be a timeless image, this is decidedly not a timeless image. It's rooted in a particular time. The effect for me is that it seems more personal. He looks young and vulnerable and attractive but not heroic. I expect that's a theme in the book.

But if it's not coming out until October then it's likely the cover will change.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yup, this picture shows him in a personal setting which seems more appropriate. The guy isn't apt to wake up with a guitar in his hand. He might have lit a smoke early in the morning though. I'm not a fan of cigarettes either, but it sure won't dissuade me from grabbing the book. I certainly wouldn't mind an audiobook version though!

sekaer, Gersh, TaumpyTears and 3 others like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I will read this. I think it will be compelling, and maybe it’ll provoke a bit of a re-evaluation of his music.

Here’s hoping.

izgoblin and longdist01 like this.
  13. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Barnes and Noble is offering a signed edition. Same price as non-signed.

izgoblin and oneslip17 like this.
  14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Maybe be not a guitar, but he has confessed to waking up with a wine glass in his hand....

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You won't buy a book because the person on the cover's smoking? :wtf:

You might not the only one, but that's gotta be a small club!

16. swandown

My interest level in a Peter Frampton biography is very marginal. I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it out. But if I happen to see the cover as I'm walking by it in a book store or a coffee shop, then I might be convinced to make an impulse purchase. And in that scenario, the cover of the book can go a long way towards influencing my decision. And I doubt I'm the only person who feels that way, otherwise no books would ever have covers.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's not what your post conveyed, though. The implication was that you probably wouldn't buy this book due to the cover period, not just that you think it's a turnoff for those who casually browse.

And I still think the number of people who will care about the smoking is very low...

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you've been following the health issues that Mr. Frampton has recently been dealing with you are well-aware that smoking is the least of them.

somnar and Gersh like this.
  19. swandown

My original post said "On a purely visceral level, this cover decreases the odds that I'll buy the book."

That sentence is perfectly consistent with what I just wrote about seeing the cover in a bookstore or coffee shop. The odds were already pretty low that I would buy the book; the cover makes them even lower.

20. swandown

I agree. But why take the risk at all? Why not pick a compelling photo that would increase the odds of a random person picking up the book and making an impulse buy?

Are there people out there who would buy the book solely because they saw a picture of Frampton smoking?

I dunno, it just seems like they're losing more potential buyers than they're gaining.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Jeez, the book isn’t coming out for eight months and the commentary has already jumped the shark, much like his appearance in the Sgt. Pepper movie.

mbrownp1 and showtaper like this.
  22. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Apologies if this comes across as a little harsh, but the idea that a cover photo of Frampton holding a cigarette is going to turn off a potential buyers is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously - how many people will base their decision on this - one in a million?

23. downer

downer Senior Member

Abbey Road edition...

[​IMG]

24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

This will be good, can't wait. :edthumbs:

jricc likes this.
  25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Very interested to read his first person account of Frampton Comes Alive and then what happened over the next few years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.