Peter Frampton "For 55 million streams of, ‘Baby I Love Your Way’, I got $1,700,"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You know what else works once Peter Frampton has run his cash-cow course? Being the guy collecting your percentage from next year's Peter Frampton.

2. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

That’s along the lines of what I estimated as well. Minus associated splits with record company/taxes etc he should be still clearing more than $1700

I’ve posted several times but I’ll do it again but briefly.

Peter is being disingenuous with his 55million streams = $1700. No single track of his shows this amount of plays (bar the Big Mountain cover).

55 million would be a life time total. So is he receiving $1700 a month/quarter/yearly/lifetime? We don’t know.

If Peter showed his yearly income from all the streaming services for all his music would we be discussing his lack of income for his music.

I could be totally wrong but until I see an itemised statement showing 55 million stream = $1700 we are going round in circles.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  3. tages

tages Senior Member

This has nothing to do with the real issue here.

And it's no business of ours (or anybodys) what "rock stars" spend their money on.

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Frampton said in article linked in OP that he went on a day trip to DC to lobby with ASCAP to tell this tale, so we're talking about a publishing grievance.

Spotify puts the numbers up for everyone to see. PF is the one volunteering the figure on the check.

uzn007 and DML71 like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Oh, lordy. Quote from the article in the 2nd post of thread, about Steely Dan:

Note #2: We’re not going to break up the Spotify streaming rates between subscriber royalty rates and the free, ad-supported rates. The rates are different; subscriber royalties are slightly higher. This whole game we’re playing now is complicated enough. Let’s just stick with one rate to see if Mr. Fagen has a point.​

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I do think one stadium tour would set you your life pretty good.

TonyCzar likes this.
  7. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

And it's "no business of ours (or anybodys) what "rock stars" earn. I don't care that Frampton earned only $1700 from streaming, just as much as I don't care that he earned millions in previous years. If musicians think streaming services are ripping them off, then they should acquire legal aid. If musicians aren't earning enough anymore to maintain their lifestyle, then do something else. I get it, but things are tough all over. I am making less $ money this year compared to last year because work did not give raises this year and the cost of living increased. What am I gonna do, either get another job or suck it up.

snowman872 likes this.
  8. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

What a coincidence > On the 10th August BPI UK certified Peter Frampton's
    "Baby I Love Your Way" A&M silver single.

9. tages

tages Senior Member

You’re absolutely right. And because this is the way things are today, we are going to lose out on a lot of great music/artists because it will become just a hobby for people. Do you think we could’ve gotten “Pet Sounds” out of a guy doing it in his spare time with no label support?

10. Doggiedogma

There will always be music, always, label support or not. Have we lost any great music so far? Has someone said "I have a masterpiece I want to write but can't because of no label support."?

Actuarybrad likes this.
  11. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I think the keyword is "record", not "write", and that's absolutely happened.

Fortunately at least today's technology allows us to get much, much closer -- no one would dispute that the gap has narrowed hugely, especially in certain genres -- though it still can't substitute for the insight a really good producer and engineer can provide, or the input of fantastic session players whose mastery of their instrument can take a given part from sounding "pretty good" to "out of this world".

tages likes this.
  12. tages

tages Senior Member

I see your point and yes I’m sure there will always be music. (Maybe substitute the word “money” for “label support”).

But you hit upon something when you wrote “If musicians aren’t earning enough anymore to maintain their lifestyle, then do something else”.

Many,many of them have taken your advice and many more to come will.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not enough though.

There is still far too much music being released independently, most of it just clutter. When anyone can record in their bedroom, anyone will. And the good stuff gets lost.

tages likes this.
  14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

After sharting us with I'm In You, he's lucky to have ever earned another penny!

uzn007 likes this.
  15. tages

tages Senior Member

That is definitely true as well. I think it’s a great thing that music can be made at home but when it’s completely devalued by the general public (who won’t pay for it) and the music industry (who won’t support or promote it) its a bit like those trees falling in the forest, no one is around to hear them so do they really make a sound?

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So then it becomes a job of gatekeeping.

Which has traditionally been radio's job.

For which they were rewarded handsomely and off the books for many many years.

But sure, let's return to a world where you have to spend a million dollars to generate a hit record for....Pink Floyd.

uzn007 likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Nothing to disagree with here. Obviously most people aren't going to go back to buying physical media, but the current payment system is not rewarding the people who do most of the work.

tages, mdent and Mazzy like this.
  18. uzn007

Without payment, this is just another variation on the "Get no money but play for the exposure" scam that's been around forever.

19. uzn007

Not that I know of, but they've probably written it and either never recorded it or recorded it in their living room and we've never heard it.

tages and lazydawg58 like this.
  20. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

The only way may be if the physical media is very convenient, more content offered (visually) and remarkably superior to streaming formats.

21. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'm not sure how we can have too much music being made? What you might call crap others might find very enjoyable.

Davido, TonyCzar, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  22. lazydawg58

yes, never say never

mdent likes this.
  23. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

That’s what I was thinking. On Spotify he’s got 20 million streams for this song...
    Edit: his top 5 most streamed songs combined make 46,6 million, maybe that’s what he meant. Still, trying to pass it like a single song got those streams lol...

24. Doggiedogma

The cream always rises to the top; if something is great, it will be found, it might take longer but it will be discovered.

25. lazydawg58

There is no way of knowing how much music hasn't been created, hasn't been exposed or will not be in the future because of the changing dynamics of the music industry. I wish the cream did always rise to the top but it certainly doesn't.

tages likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.