Peter Frampton Throws Fan’s Cell Phone During Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by npc145, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

I posted two times big deal! Go get a life this is getting old fast.

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Indeed. He told you why:
    :D

old school likes this.
  3. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Many years ago, 1969 to be precise, I went to see Jimi Hendrix at Madison Square Garden. He was on a revolving stage, so he was only facing my cheap seats a small portion of the time. In addition, the amps and PA were only facing me a small portion of the time. In the middle sections, there were crowds who left there seats and followed the front of the stage around the venue. In addition, there lots of folks with small cameras, all with built in flash atking pictures. They became a small, mobile section of contantly flashing lights as they took their snapshots. At one point, Jimi said, please stop taking flash pictures, because it distracts me and I wantt t focus on my playing. No sooner did he make that request than everyone with a flash camera, all over the Garden, proceeded to take as many flash photos as possible, lighting the place up like a million noonday suns. And it didn't let up for a while, either.

So, yes, taking pictures at concerts is human nature and isn't anything new. More to the point self interest seems to oevrride consideration for others, including the artist or performer people have paid money to see. Even in those more innocent times, there was that sense of taking pictures is fine, even flash pictures, even if you're asked not to.

When I pay to see somebody, I expect a certain amount of it and as long as it's not obstructing my view for unusually long time, I try to ignore it. When I see bands like King Crimson, I do dread it happening, as Fripp's stance, which is well known, can bring an end to the show prematurely. I can't see him following Frampton's lead, unfortunately.

Entitlement and self absorption are funny traits.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    old school likes this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

magnificent post worth repeating. The disrespect to the artist is astounding. Thankfully, at many of the shows I've seen where it's been a requirement people have been decent and followed the rules. Others seem to think theft is just fine and dandy .

old school and MoonPool like this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

They should have moved over and let Jimi take over.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Now all those people have video of the Scorpions that they will never watch. Perhaps they will upload it to YouTube to give everybody else a chance to not watch it.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One really annoying aspect of flash photography at concerts is that it is completely, utterly pointless! The flash does nothing! The camera is aimed at the brightest thing in the room, and the only reason you're using a flash is that you are just too dumb to figure out how to turn it off!

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Huh? You may want to read up a little on that....unless the guy is taking a picture of a picture thats copyrighted then that doesn't come into play.

9. Chris DeVoe

Performers and public figures own the rights to their image.

Atmospheric, lennonfan1 and MoonPool like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

I want to see a band sponsored by the web site Will It Blend, and have one of those industrial blenders on stage. And the first person caught shooting with a flash gets their camera blended.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That's not all together true. There are publicity and personality rights but it's not as black and white as you're making it out to be.

12. Chris DeVoe

In a private venue as opposed to out in public, it is quite a bit more clear cut.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  13. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I suppose since concertgoers were prohibited from recording the concert that no video of his "toss" should exist...

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Ya know.....this just reinforces my feelings about mankind in general. Why is it that ignorance and boorishness are seemingly glorified, excepted...actually embraced ?

Human nature ? No...reverse psychology acted out by morons.

Defending indefensibles. Welcome to Appalachia.

15. OnTheRoad

But in an earlier post you 'legitimize' the behavior because someone "paid" to see the show.

A bigger problem exists with this view of being able "to buy" "your right" to disrespectable behavior.

So.....money may not be the root of ALL evil...but it buys this in your opinion ?

And you preface your "no reason to be acidic" with....be nice ? o_O

Atmospheric likes this.
  16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

His "toss"?! I thought he just threw a cell phone.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

just remember, Peter himself can make videos of his shows:)

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't let a few morons wreck mankind for you. Remember, I would guess 98% did what was right.

19. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Good for you man ! I'm with ya...on the other hand, these days you never know what kind of medicated a-holes are walking around....some people are nuts enough to shoot someone over this. Be careful out there !

old school likes this.
  20. OnTheRoad

It can be that only ONE can ruin things for me though...ala this example. I don't want to be disappointed that a performer I'm enjoying will be distracted and angered by ONE fan. That ONE fan can easily ruin it for everyone. All it takes is ONE unfortunately...and that applies to many things in life sadly. :(

ONE person does this at a King Crimson show and Fripp might stop the performance for the entire evening.

PHILLYQ, MoonPool and Atmospheric like this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

It's actually worse than that. The flash ruins such a picture. I know I forgot to take the flash off at an Willie Nelson event on my first pic and it was embarrassing. OF course this was before the smartphone era and was a fairly small show (Bacchus Mardi Gras Ball).

Flash
    [​IMG]DSC_0687 by BayouTigress, on Flickr

No Flash
    [​IMG]DSC_0696 by BayouTigress, on Flickr

Shak Cohen likes this.
  22. Neverthless, no performer could sue someone on copyright grounds solely for taking their picture during a performance.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

exactly...

24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Peter Grant would not agree ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.