Peter Gabriel 2x45rpm reissues vs 33rpm reissues (half speed masters)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PJC68, May 24, 2018.

1. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi folks
    I have just ordered Peter gabriel So on the new 33rpm half speed remasters and was wondering how these compared with the 2x45rpm half speed masters from a few years ago, anyone heard both
    I bought the original so in 1986 when it came out and still have it
    Basically i am thinking of buying 1 to 4 as well to replace the originals i have if they sound better
    There is probably info on this site but i have had a long day at work :(
    Thanks in advance

Dbstay likes this.
  2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I haven't compared any, but have been following the various relevant threads here. In general, the 45rpm releases of the first 4 albums (which came out first) got pretty bad reviews for having a somewhat harsh, brittle tonality. The later albums on both 45 and 33 were discussed more favorably, so they seem to be better bets. The biggest question is whether the later 33 releases of the first four are better than the 45s or not. They have generally been getting better reviews from posters here, but it isn't clear that anyone has actually compared the two, so it may just be different listeners with different expectations.

Plan9, audiotom and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I was happy with UP 45
    So 33 is still in my cart, i'm undecided if it would just be a sideways or less move than the old compact disc mastering (one of many I have) :laugh:
    The only way I can describe the 2x45 of III is this, so I stopped.
    [​IMG]

hi_watt and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. PJC68

I have read the first 2x45rpm albums had problems but was wondering the difference between the second 45rpm half speed master and the new 33rpm half speed master
    I would rather have the 33rpm version as i have a few mofi 45rpm albums and have to get up at the end of each side twice as much :(
    But if the 45rpm sounds better then i will buy one of them instead

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Here’s all I know...my 45 rpm Melt crushes the original. It’s quite marvellous.

jimhb, Stingray2014 and Catcher10 like this.
  6. PJC68

Which 45rpm version do you have, the first one or the second one
    I have read somewhere it sounds bright (second one)

7. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Skip the 45rpm's. They do sound bright and not a good listen. I bought 3 of them including up. I never play them for the reasons mentioned.

Usually 45 rpm mofi', QRP and even recently Abbey Rd 45rpm's are my go to copies. I assumed the PG's would be the same. Not even close, back of the bus. I would go the 33rpm's. Buy 1 and have a listen. I am so disappointed in the 45rpm versions.

8. PJC68

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
    Banquet records here in the UK has the 2x45rpm 2,3 and 4 for £22.99 each and i was tempted, i should receive the SO 33rpm half speed master tomorrow and hope that does not sound bright
    If the SO sounds good i will be getting the 33rpm half speed versions of 3 and 4 to replace the originals (when will the madness stop)
    You would think because 45rpm is better they would sound better, what a let down

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m not sure. I’ll check! Mine is far from bright, though. It really is perfect.

10. PJC68

It came today sealed, opened it up and in new mint condition, flat as a pancake with no warps :edthumbs:
    Will have to get it on the RCM and give it a spin in a week or so
    If this sounds great then i will be buying a few more for sure

DiBosco likes this.
  11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’ll be interested in your impressions.

12. PJC68

I will compare it with the Original from 1986 and report back

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m curious to hear how this sounds, I have an original UK So pressing which is pretty good and generally the album gets a lot of criticism for sibilance. I have the 33rpm half speeds of albums I, III & IV and I’m really happy with them, the debut album is the biggest improvement IMO. The original pressing I had sounded muffled and flat and the half speed knocks it out of the water.

14. PJC68

I imagine the half speed mastered version of SO should be better than the original judging by what people have said

15. PJC68

I wonder is it worth looking for the original LP of anything these days as a better remaster will be along soon

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

If you stumble upon the Classic Records Gabriel lps by all means buy them

TimB likes this.
  17. PJC68

The vultures are asking too much for them on discogs and the likes plus QC issues here and there

vonwegen, ispace and Metalrob like this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Gabriel thinks these are the definitive versions

Could have been

Sad

19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

There are a couple versions in print at the moment, Amazon lists a 2017 Caroline International pressing from Real World, which is a single lp and it looks like the Half Speed is a double

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Stumble

21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

In most cases - no

c-eling likes this.
  22. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Now that is interesting! ‘Car’ has always seemed flat, and congested. I’ve had originals, the early Superdisc half speed, and always found them subpar. My current and best is a Japanese issue. I love this album and your comments are prompting me to pick up the new 33.

audiotom likes this.
  23. PJC68

Go on do it, you know you want to :agree:

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That’s just my opinion but I was playing my first pressing copy last month and it struck me how flat it sounded so I decided to get a copy of the remasters and it has a lot more definition and life to it to my ears. Potentially it could sound particularly precise at times (though not necessarily “digital”), but I’ll take precision over a muffled/flat sound anytime.

Now I’m just curious about the So single album remaster.

25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Possibly if only due to sibilance reasons. I have an excellent sounding Canadian cut but suffers on a few passages. Reading reviews over the years on this title this problem seems to be baked in. Peter loves his ssss,ss's :laugh:
    I needed some yard tools so I through the new 33 in the cart.