Peter Gabriel - Best Digital Masterings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Dec 22, 2008.

1. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Chart of the one oddball title so far.

I'm noticing tho, we don't have WG discs for any of the other titles. Do they exist? If they do I'll bet they're different!

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I'm pretty sure the West German Charisma is out there, in either the Yellow Rays or Blue Face, etc. guises. It's gotta be the same disc as the Target with a different label. Every West German Target with an 800 series matrix has a European counterpart on a different Polygram/Phonogram label, that I've seen, anyway.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Forget most of the BS (especially all of the data) on this thread and get the SACDs.

4. LesPaul666

Glad you like the SACD's. What in your opinion do they have over the original V/C CD's? Just curious.

Personally, the SACD's could have been done quite a bit better than they were.

5. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Looking at that chart really helps. A preliminary glance suggests that there are potentially only two completely different masterings of IV (excluding the German version).

So now the question is whether there are any WG discs of the earlier titles (I, II, III).

I can't help but ask why the negative (and somewhat elitist) attitude? As an early post indicated, there have been quite a few attempts to figure out Peter Gabriel on CD, so what's the harm in finally doing it? Furthermore, by recommending the SACDs are you referring to the SACD layer? Aren't the redbook layers equal to the remasters? It seems quite a few members prefer the original V/Cs to the remasters.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I'm relaxing before the feeding frenzy begins. Here are the redbook layers from the I & II SACD's:

I (SACD redbook layer)
    99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.3 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.4

II (SACD redbook layer)
    99.5 / 99.4 / 84.8 / 99.5 / 99.3 / 99.3 / 94.9 / 99.4 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.4

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:agree:

Hi,
    I am searching for the WG pressings of (I, II, III) myself but so far to no avail. I would assume that they must exist? I could be wrong.
    I must try harder though :)
    Simon :)

8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

It's quite possible I'm incorrect. But here are the peak levels (from a separate thread) that I read for IV:

Geffen/Universal 069 493 280-2 (matrix = 0694932662 0997011202 MFG BY MATSUSHITA UNIVERSAL MEDIA SERVICES) [US remaster]
    99.3 % - 93.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.3 % - 99.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.3 %

Virgin SAPGCD 4 (matrix = 5830752 CD 1) [CD layer of Japanese made Hybrid SACD]
    99.3 % - 93.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.3 % - 99.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.4 % - 99.3 %

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148295

9. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Just checked at discogs.com and the European Real World Records/Virgin Remaster (PG 1 - PGCDR 1, 7243 8 11678 2 3) was done at Metropolis in London - released in 2002. The SACD was remastered at Metropolis in London, released in 2003.

It does makes sense they used the same mastering for SACD redbook as the 2002 CD release. Would like someone to confirm with the logs I posted above for I & II if possible.

10. LesPaul666

I'm thinking the only Peter Gabriel CD's that were only initially released in early on, are IV (Security-1984) and So(1986). I think the rest of the CD's(I, II, and III) were released on CD in 1986 or afterwards.

11. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Give me a few minutes. I'll get my remaster of I and post the peak levels.

12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Makes sense. So does that mean there are no WG discs for I through III?

13. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Boy we're a bunch of sad b&st&rds - it's Christmas Eve ;)

14. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Peak levels for my US Remaster of I (069 493 299-2):

99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.3 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.4

The same as the SACD redbook layer.

15. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I'm Jewish!

It's Hanukah too, though, but most of my family is on the other side of the country.

16. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I'll light a candle for you :)

Thanks for the confirmation !

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks for that :righton: this explains why I am having problems with my search

Simon :)

18. LesPaul666

I don't think so, not that I've ever seen. In the early 80's, I think that Mercury/Phonogram had the rights for III, until Geffen released it on CD later on, in the U.S. anyway. This is when Atlantic made a huge mistake dumping him, and David Geffen cashed in.:D

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!:cheers:

I've been searching as well, and the only CD's that I'm presuming existed in 1984 were the Target of Security(IV) and it's European counterpart(Charisma/Phonogram?) Something to this effect. I think Deutsches album(IV) may have been around on CD.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Quite true.

20. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

What the data is showing us is what pre-remaster options actually exist. For instance the US and Euro versions are different straight across the board. It doesn't tell is which is better, just what different masterings exist.

So, according to your advice, we ignore all our options. Just declare the most recent mastering the winner, without comparing them to anything, or even caring whether they differ at all?

Sound advice!

21. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

No so sure about that. Certainly the Black triangle and Virgin UK ones are similar, probably level-shifted. The US Geffen has the same general look, but some of the tracks are close, some way quieter, one louder. Maybe it was a tweaked version of the Virgin transfer? If so, I'll bet something else went on besides a simple level shift. Some actual mastering, in other words. I only have the Target here, so I can't compare.

It's funny that this one had a big banner across the front proudly stating "Full Digital Recording". You'd think everything would be a digital clone, but so far we have more versions of IV then any other.

22. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Peter Gabriel; The 99.4% Years :D

Kristofa likes this.
  23. LesPaul666

:laugh:'Featuring slightly-choked fidelity, as well as compression and clipping on the red-book layers'.

No disrespect to LeeS or TooTull, but I found that for my tastes, the original UK masterings bettered the SACD's, IMHO.:angel:

kevin5brown likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thank you for the explanation. When you guys get so technical it makes my head spin and it takes the joy out of the music. I do declare the SACDs the winner.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The SACDs are more musical. They have more harmonic overtones and frequency extension. The instruments sound more natural on the SACDs. The old cds are muddy by comparison, expecially on 1, 2, and 3. The older A to D converters used on the originals are obviously not as good as the more modern A to D converters used on the SACDs.