Peter Gabriel LIVE DVD due this Fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnG, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

I received my copy of Peter Gabriel's fan-site based cd and newsletter today and in the notes it does say that later this Fall PG will release a live DVD of his current Up Tour.

It will be from a Milan, Italy show using Hi-Def cameras.

Can't wait!:)

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

While I had no doubt this was coming, it's nice to have an (approximate) date.

After the 'Secret World Live' DVD fiasco, this one will likely be a breath of fresh air in terms of the technical presentation.

3. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Excellent! Anyone have a setlist from Milan?

Mark

4. Reginald

Reginald New Member

I'm excited too but I don't know how much good using high-def cameras will be. It's coming down to 480 anyway. Anyone technically knowledgeable about video production?

5. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Are you referring to Notes magazine, or another publication?

6. JohnG

Re: Re: Peter Gabriel LIVE DVD due this Fall

No, its Peter Gabriel's REALWORLD publication that is available at his website.

You get about 4 mailings a year. In each package is a cd with artists he promotes plus a exclusive track or 2 from Peter (this month's has 2 tracks from Peter) plus a fanzine that tells you about the artists on this months cd and PG news....Peter answers questions from fans.

A must have if your a big fan.

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

What was the deal with Secret World? I've never seen the video.

8. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Peter Gabriel LIVE DVD due this Fall

I think we are talking about the same publication... "Real World Notes", right? The latest issue I have is #14, but it sounds like you're talking about something more recent.

Your original comment about "fan-site" threw me off.

9. Reginald

Reginald New Member

A lot of people claimed the production was bad. Vocals not matching mouth movements, etc. Personally other than a second of digital distortion I’ve not noticed any major issues. But some people look closer than others. :)

It’s a great performance on great tour. If you like PG I’d recommend it. Don’t be scared away by some of the criticism. If you don’t like PG and are looking for a DVD to showcase your home theater system I’d keep looking.

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The biggest complaint I heard was that the DVD was letterboxed for widescreen, when the film was shot, and originally released, in full-screen aspect ratio (open matte, NOT pan and scan). Therefore, the top and bottom of the screen are cut off, resulting in some odd framing (ie, heads cut off, etc.), and also some picture pixilation is present.

11. Michael St. Clair

I have the laserdisc and DVD. The DVD is overcompressed; at times the picture looks like a crappy AVI file. The fake-widescreen cropping looked terrible, and the new audio mix is lacking.

On my 53" HDTV, the laserdisc blows the DVD away, even with some video noise.

HD-shot stuff converts very nicely to 480p. The Frampton in Detroit concert was shot HD and the DVD looks fantastic.

12. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Aside from video issues, a number of people also expressed dissatisfaction with the remixed audio used for the DVD release.

13. JohnG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Peter Gabriel LIVE DVD due this Fall

Yes, thats it...Real World Notes...its sent from England in a square flat package with Notes and a cd 4x a year.

The latest is issue # 16 which has a cd that has live track of Peter doing "Shock The Monkey" at LA's Irvine Shoreline Theater.
    plus "Sky Blue" remixed.

14. Michael St. Clair

FYI, the Milan show was on the previous tour, so this video should have the full 'theatrical' setup.

15. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Peter Gabriel LIVE DVD due this Fall

I just ordered a nearly complete set of back issues, but it looks like the website was out of date (they listed 14 as being the most recent issue).

The WOMAD store is currently being retooled; hopefully they will add the two newer issues when it reopens.

And maybe I'll get around to obtaining a subscription... :)

16. Michael St. Clair

Here is the combined setlist for the two Milan shows, both shot on hi-def for DVD.

Here Comes The Flood
    Darkness
    Red Rain
    Secret World
    Sky Blue
    Downside-Up
    The Barry Williams Show
    More Than This
    Mercy Street
    Digging In The Dirt
    Growing Up
    Animal Nation
    Solsbury Hill
    Sledgehammer
    Signal To Noise

Encore:
    In Your Eyes
    No Way Out
    Come Talk To Me
    Father, Son

17. Michael St. Clair

Actually, I may have been confused....they played Milan on the 2002 legs, and again this year. I don't think the 2003 european dates had the big theatrical setup. Not sure, though.

EDIT: OK, I may be changing my mind again. Milan 2003 was an indoor venue and based on photos and comments at T.Lev's site, I think this is the full-blown visual production.

http://tonylevin.com/pgspring03-2.htm

18. Michael St. Clair

Eight weeks later, and here is the final setlist for the DVD:

Here Comes The Flood
    Darkness
    Red Rain
    Secret World
    Sky Blue
    Downside-Up
    The Barry Williams Show
    More Than This
    Mercy Street
    Digging In The Dirt
    Growing Up
    Animal Nation
    Solsbury Hill
    Sledgehammer
    Signal To Noise
    In Your Eyes
    Father, Son

In other words, every song that was filmed (hi-def videotape, actually) at the 2003 Milan shows except 'No Way Out' and 'Come Talk To Me' will be on the disc.

The two InHD channels on my cable have shown a few concerts in HD, and Marc Cuban's HDNet have done the same. Hopefully this concert will be broadcast in HD at some point.

http://petergabriel.com/moonclub/growingup/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.