Peter Gabriel rereleases So Us and Up on 45 rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream Thread Starter

mr.dave and c-eling like this.
  2. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

...and which I enjoyed immensely...

Numanx, MW72, Vinylsoul 1965 and 5 others like this.
  3. audiotom

the praise for the first four doesn't look encouraging...

Release Date: 15 July 2016

“It has been heart warming to see the return of vinyl. Even though I loved being free of its limitations in the digital world, there is still a warmth and presence to vinyl that somehow makes it a more natural human companion. It is great to see a new generation learning the secrets of the grooves”Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel’s triumvirate of two-letter word titled albums: So, US and UP, available on double vinyl (So) and triple vinyl (US and UP) for a special bundle-only price.

The albums have been Half-Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM to deliver maximum dynamic range in the sound. So is cut across 2 x heavyweight LPs whilst US and UP are on 3 x heavyweight LPs with music on five sides and an etching on the sixth. The vinyl was cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering, mastered by Tony Cousins at Metropolis and overseen by Peter’s main sound engineer Richard Chappell.

Gatefold sleeves utilise imagery from the original LP inner bags and all images are newly re-scanned.The album also contains a download card with a choice of digital download (Hi-Res 24bit/96k or 16bit/44.1k)*.

The album is a Limited Edition and individually Numbered.

*NB: UP download is either Hi-Res 24bit/48k or 16bit/44.1k

Praise for the PG1-4 LP reissues from 2015:

It sounds like Gabriel is there stood right next to you, singing, whispering and imploring.” – Q Magazine

Scrupulously repurposed as sonically superior 180g double-vinyl 45rpm sets.” – ‘Reissue Of The Month’, Record Collector

Gabriel’s masterpiece [‘Melt’] now sounds better than ever.” ★★★★★ MOJO

Even if you have the originals, as an audiophile, you need to check out these new super editions.” – Hi Fi World

Best VinylClassic Pop Magazine Awards 2016

SKU: PGLPBUN_3 Categories: 2LP Half Speed Remasters, Audio, Vinyl

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Me too. Haters gonna hate.

MW72, agn, Dr. Mudd and 1 other person like this.
  5. audiotom

the praise for the first four doesn't look encouraging...

Release Date: 15 July 2016

“It has been heart warming to see the return of vinyl. Even though I loved being free of its limitations in the digital world, there is still a warmth and presence to vinyl that somehow makes it a more natural human companion. It is great to see a new generation learning the secrets of the grooves”Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel’s triumvirate of two-letter word titled albums: So, US and UP, available on double vinyl (So) and triple vinyl (US and UP) for a special bundle-only price.

The albums have been Half-Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM to deliver maximum dynamic range in the sound. So is cut across 2 x heavyweight LPs whilst US and UP are on 3 x heavyweight LPs with music on five sides and an etching on the sixth. The vinyl was cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering, mastered by Tony Cousins at Metropolis and overseen by Peter’s main sound engineer Richard Chappell.

Gatefold sleeves utilise imagery from the original LP inner bags and all images are newly re-scanned.The album also contains a download card with a choice of digital download (Hi-Res 24bit/96k or 16bit/44.1k)*.

The album is a Limited Edition and individually Numbered.

*NB: UP download is either Hi-Res 24bit/48k or 16bit/44.1k

Praise for the PG1-4 LP reissues from 2015:

It sounds like Gabriel is there stood right next to you, singing, whispering and imploring.” – Q Magazine

Scrupulously repurposed as sonically superior 180g double-vinyl 45rpm sets.” – ‘Reissue Of The Month’, Record Collector

Gabriel’s masterpiece [‘Melt’] now sounds better than ever.” ★★★★★ MOJO

Even if you have the originals, as an audiophile, you need to check out these new super editions.” – Hi Fi World

Best VinylClassic Pop Magazine Awards 2016

SKU: PGLPBUN_3 Categories: 2LP Half Speed Remasters, Audio, Vinyl

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  6. audiotom

It isn't haters

It's people with original UK, Japanese and Classic remasters that clearly have heard the difference

check the threads here for plenty of comments

I am very glad your records sound great on your system, mine clearly do not and sit on the shelf next to vital copies that get played often
    Despite the great potential, wonderful artwork and great lengths in pressing 45 sides, that these were released with such terrible sound is beyond me

many people wanted these to be the go to versions... they fell short

I tried to like the new releases but even though they may sound more revealing in some ways than the original murky US releases (not UK) they are tonally shrill and lack warmth in the mid range except for the most quiet melodic pieces like Wallflower off of IV

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    vonwegen, fRa, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I didn't hate it Ben, I just chose not to purchase any others :D
    Looking forward to these, hopefully a little more warmth this time around

mr.dave likes this.
  8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

9. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I have long pined for Up on vinyl and haven't wanted to shell out $200-300 for a copy on eBay, but 3x LP at 45 RPM.... this is getting out of hand!

keiron99, Zongadude and audiotom like this.
  10. audiotom

comments from Acoustics Sounds

Bloody awful.
    posted on 11/27/2015
    1 Stars
    Reviewer: Jerome
    This release sounds on the surface like it brings the goods: half-speed mastered and 45RPM. The sound is simply awful. Vocals are shouty and riddled with sibilance that my vintage pressing just doesn't have. I suggest you avoid this one and try to grab a Classic Records 200g pressing or run down an original vintage LP. Stay away from this one.
    Dreadful mastering - shrill - find a Classic
    posted on 11/25/2015
    2 Stars

I bought this series of 45 rpm PG releases I was hoping this would be the go to copy with all the praise lavished on them. Boy was I wrong
    The detail on these records is better than the murkier US original release. I don't know how anyone could have released such a dreadful master. The tonality is so far off. Shrill, metallic sheen particularly on the dynamic parts which is supposed to be a big plus using 45 rpm. The volume was maxed out. These records are unlistenable
    The UK originals, Classic 33 1/3 and Japanese copies all have great warmth, vibrancy, detail. Grab a Classic here at AS
    Sad they missed a great opportunity here Hopefully like the Beatles stereo box leading to a great sounding analog mono all the complaints will lead to much better PG product going forward

11. audiotom

The original UP is sublime
    you really haven't heard the album until you have heard that pressing

Frankly I will wait on this one, until I hear rave reviews from people I know who didn't like the first 4

12. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Not being snarky here, but the exact same team that brought us the first four are working on these as well, so I'd expect more of the same unless they've tuned in to the complaints on this forum and found a new mastering religion.

I gave the first batch a pretty cursory listen the first time 'round, but I know many on this forum didn't seem to like them; I'll have to give them a more thorough going over before I plunk down the cash for these.

13. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I really liked the first four so I'm looking forward to these.

However, the fact that Us and Up are being reissued implies that they are skipping Birdy, Plays Live, Passion, Secret World Live, and OVO, which would be an extremely missed opportunity in my opinion. The German reissues of 3 and 4 gave me hope that they were going to issue his more obscure releases. I suppose they could do those titles after So/Us/Up, but it's looking unlikely.

It is my understanding that So was mainly recorded digitally and transferred to tape. Are Us and Up 100% digital?

Originals of So are incredibly cheap and plentiful and sound fantastic, so it might be hard justifying $20+ on this reissue. The original European pressing of Us I have sounds great, too. I do not have a copy of Up on vinyl and it goes for a lot of money these days, so that might be the best release (for me) so far.

c-eling likes this.
  14. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Didn't fall short at all. I have the classic records version of IV (Security) and can definitely say the new remaster blows away the Classic version. Now thats just my opinion.
    But I certainly wouldn't generalize to promote they fell short or discourage people from trying them out.
    An opinion is one thing....a bold statement is another.

DaK and keiron99 like this.
  15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

+100 for Plays Live....why this isn't on the radar for reissue is beyond me.

It is also a bit of a stretch to say the reissues sound terrible. I love when people say how much better their nearly impossible to acquire, super expensive pressing of %insert_reissue_record_here% is compared to a newer easier to acquire on the mass market version. Thanks MR Obvious! Just to clear the air...my Classic 140 gram pressing sounds terrible, my domestic versions are old and scratched...the new release sounds pretty good at 45RPM, dead quite and comes with a 24/96 download. They are a good value overall...sonically inferior? Perhaps...but lets be objective here, they are not terrible or even horrible...they just failed to live up to the mark of a previous reissue.

keiron99 likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Up for me will be a curiosity purchase as for what mixes they will use, I like the sound of my old US DADC compact disc of US, so I'm skipping that one

17. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I will wait too. To me the first 4 were heavy on detail but lacked emotion and the expected tonality, and are also strident in parts. They've been on the shelf since the first spin, though I should certainly give them another shot now that some time has elapsed.

I will probably ultimately bite on the original Up. Maybe this release will help moderate the cost of the eBay copies out there?

Oh, I would also love to have Ovo on vinyl. Maybe it will happen someday.

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

In what ways does the remaster "blow away" the Classic?

19. AnalogJ

Umm....yes they are pretty bad. You don't say why you think the Classic 140gm sounds terrible. To which PG record are you referring?? My copy of IV has very noisy surface noise. It's annoying. But its mastering is way better than the 45. Yes, the 45 sounds more spacious, but it lacks detail, warmth, and it gets strident/harsh during louder passages. The Classic reissues all convey more subtlety, warmth, and harmonic detail. They convey more presence and impact.

By the way, for those of you who are disappointed that Passion is being reissued here, I think that the original 2LP set is fairly common and fairly inexpensive. I have both the US and the UK and they're BOTH great sounding, close to demo quality. I do not have Classics of Passion or US, but they're both really good in their original vinyl formats.

20. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is not the word of God.
    Just like anyone else. A varied opinion.

Pieter Kozak and jimhb like this.
  21. AnalogJ

I notice that the price dropped on the stock of IV, III, and I (II isn't there). They're now $30. The bundle of the German III and IV is $70.

22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah my Classic IV is noisy as heck, 100% not enjoyable no matter how great the mastering. Any you have made my point, compared to an unattainable Classic reissue...these are WAY better...cause I can BUY them....

lee59 likes this.
  23. audiotom

I assume it is the same exact team that did the first batch. It certainly would be nice if like the Beatles mono release, they strived to refine things.
    That the press release refers to the "stellar sound" of I-IV tells me they probably haven't changed a thing in the broth.

The newer albums have a lot of digital source but with more modern technology.
    Gabriel always likes to do his vocals to analog tape and the Classic recording on UP is a brilliant lp mastering.

I would bite on the UP 45 rpm lps if they take Barry Williams show and just press it on one side. Doesn't fit with the mood of the album at all.

you put it more succinctly than I did

The New Blood 33 1/3 rpm classical release is wonderful so why did that not carry over to these

24. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm going to try to be objective here (objective meaning look at the merits of each set of pressings).

The new 45rpm pressings of the first four were improvements on standard run of the mill US pressings. But when comparing the 45rpm III to the Classic I prefer the Classic. The new ones are nice, but if you have a brighter sounding system you might not like them. They're very clinical sounding, but still very nice.

They're definitely not a "sonic trainwreck" as stated above. There were a handful of people who were adamant with their disdain for the new pressings who posted again and again and again ad nauseum. From what I read most people were okay with them.

In short--if you can pony up the funds for a Classic then I'd go that route, but if you can't, then these will certainly be nice copies.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Sean, audiotom and cyclistsb like this.
  25. audiotom

unfortunately here is the track breakdown by side for UP

TRACKLISTING

SIDE ONE
    A1. Darkness
    A2. Growing Up

SIDE TWO
    B1. Sky Blue
    B2. No Way Out

SIDE THREE
    C1. I Grieve
    C2. The Barry Williams Show

SIDE FOUR
    D1. My Head Sounds Like That
    D2. More Than This

SIDE FIVE
    E1. Signal to Noise
    E2. The Drop

SIDE SIX
    F. Etching of the UP logo (no music)

sides one, two, four and five are great

they could have split side three (with two so totally opposite tracks) to two sides and avoid the blank side 6

Guess you can always pick up the needle early on side 4

Realworld has a nice price on the set at $75 but the shipping is expensive

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.