Peter Gabriel vinyl re-releases in October?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keiron99, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Also, their is a price reduction if you create a Real World account. The price for me droped from $135 to $113

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

What the hell, owning four or five additions of the same titles is normal right??
    I'm in, man it would be nice if they offered a slip case for the bundle :)

3. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

It also seems to be cheaper if you set the currency to British Pounds. The I-IV bundle is 58.33 GBP (~$91.29) vs $113.33 USD.

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just ordered. Changed the currency to GBP and with free shipping and minus the VAT it came to $93 through paypal. Not too shabby!

c-eling likes this.
  5. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

It seems like everything is "Out of stock" in the remaster store so they're probably fixing it.

6. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Vinyl with hi rez downloads! what could possibly be next? Cassette reissues?

[​IMG]

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Two things:

1) As of right now (1:20pm eastern time), both bundles are listed as "Out of Stock". In fact, ALL of the remastered sets, including the individual records, are listed as Out of Stock. I'm thinking that they might, indeed, be rethinking and rejigging the checkout so that those of us who purchase via Pounds Stirling don't get the 4-album set for $93 shipped. I imagine that they're going to, regardless, follow through with the sets they sold up to now. Or......, of course, there could be something else going on.

2) The mastering engineer is Tony Colton. I checked on the Big Blue Ball 2LP set (and isn't it a misnomer to call a 12" cut at 45rpm an LP, as in long-play?). Tony Colton mastered that at 45rpm (I'm not too sure whether that was half-speed or not). There is nothing sonically great to write home about on the Big Blue Ball set. I hope these new remasterings will sound better than Big Blue Ball (and I have the blue vinyl version, which is not the quietest vinyl in the world).

8. marblesmike

Are you new to idea of vinyl reissues?

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Even the individual releases are listed as Out of Stock.

There's no way PG sold 46,000 vinyl records yesterday, is there? Haha.

I'm assuming they're fixing the site. (hopefully)

10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

From Peter's website -
    "All the albums have been Half-Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM, across two heavyweight 180g LPs to deliver maximum dynamic sound range.
    These records have really never sounded so good – pretty much as close to listening to the original master tape as it’s possible to get."

EXCEPT they weren't all recorded on tape (unless you classify DAT as tape which I guess you can) ...
    Peter was quite famously an early adapter of all that digital recording technology.
    "Security" was one of the first "DDD" CD's.

Pretty sure the first three were good old fashioned multi-track tape.
    God I love those albums, might have to take the plunge.

11. AnalogJ

Michael Fremer just put a post up on his website, Analog Planet, about these. He is pretty sure that these are being cut from 96/24 files which have been derived from the analog tapes. So, in essence, they'll be digitally remastered.

Again, there was a middle period when PG recorded with mixed media. He recorded the vocals on Security analog, because he felt at the time that analog sounded more real, more relaxed; but he felt that digital was better at dynamics, and he wanted that. He has been quoted that the technology used to release his earlier albums didn't allow for the dynamics he had desired. It's what made him very happy to have Classic Records do his catalog. Even the vinyl is MUCH more dynamic than what you get with the original UKs and US pressings.

G E likes this.
  12. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

$113.00 worked for me. :edthumbs: Ordered the bundle and can't wait!

13. marblesmike

Link?

14. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

No offense, but there are tons of threads that discuss this, so opening it up on this one is not likely to yield a better response than you can find with a quick search.

But really, it is a moot point when the set offers both at a reasonable price, something which more releases should be doing in this day and age.

15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Out of stock again...

16. dachada

dachada Senior Member

the folloging message is on the web page: DUE TO HIGH DEMAND SALES ARE CURRENTLY ON HOLD

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Arghhh let me order!

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Boy, I am soooooo sorry for the bad advice I gave here. Feeling really guilty since I did not take my own advice and went ahead and ordered last night. But I did it out of laziness. Just wanted to get it done and out of the way.

19. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just placed an order for the bundle right now.

20. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Real World account and the price is the same whether I'm logged in or not.

21. marblesmike

Looks like I got my order in 5 minutes before they pulled the entire stock...phew!!

22. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Just bagged a bundle . Go Go Go......

23. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Done!

24. AnalogJ

What was your bad advice again?

25. AnalogJ

Thread Status: