Peter Gabriel vinyl re-releases in October?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keiron99, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just ordered the German bundle. That goes along with the regular bundle I ordered earlier. I'm not quite as thrilled at the cutting from 96/24 files, but I'm biting.

2. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Site is ok now, just ordered bundle.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Ah, feels nice to finally place an order for both bundles!

And the 96/24 thing is still speculation... But I suppose they would've mentioned analog had they been analog.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Back up for order. Got the regular and Deutsches bundles.

6. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I was really hoping 'Us' was included. That on vinyl would be wonderful.

7. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Just got the regular bundle order though.

I'm a fool.. I own these albums 4 times over including the Classic Records reissues of PG's entire catalogue - I remember calling real world and getting their last copy of the double album Classic version of Plays Live all those years ago.. There is no way they will sound better than those..

But they are just about my favourite 4 albums ever.. I'm almost more excited by the High Res Digital files than anything..

At least they are a decent price..

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

For those who made the order, does Real World charge your credit card right now, or wait until delivery(which I assume would be in mid-late September since it is an October release)?

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

to wait because I wouldn't want to pay in full for a pre order that is months away from shipping.

10. Scott Wheeler

24/96 is the least of my worries. so many other choices we do not know about will affect the sound. I really doubt the 24/96 A/D D/A conversion will. If that is even an issue! Do we know whether or not the actual master tapes are analog?

11. AnalogJ

It's the front page story, 2nd one down.

12. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Yeah, not even slightly concerned about the digital, it's the other decisions...

I ordered. All six. Fingers crossed.

13. marblesmike

How can he be sure from the description on how it's being cut? That seems like a giant leap.

14. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

In for the 4 record bundle and the German bundle! I'm liking the price converted to Canadian dollars at $30.00 a record for 6 records and some high rez files. Works for me.

15. marblesmike

At $93 for the set shipped it comes out to $23.25 each. That's a great price for a 45rpm 2LP.

AnalogJ and gfong like this.
  16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Did you find an archived page for the Clarity listings that has that description? In the original 200g listings 4 does not have the note about the 1/2" 30ips analogue master tapes, 4 actually makes no mention of the source used. Here are the descriptions from the Classic Records 33rpm 200g listings:

1 - no mention of source
    2 - Transferred for the first time from the original 1/4" analog two-track master tapes
    3 - Transferred, for the first time ever, from the original 30 ips 1/4" master
    4 - no mention of source
    Live - no mention of source
    Birdy - The transfer was from the original two track 1/2" analog master tapes provided by Peter Gabriel's Real World for cutting the master lacquers
    So - cut from the original 1/2" 30 ips analog master tapes
    Last Temptation - The transfer was from the original two track 1/2" analog master tapes provided by Peter Gabriel's Real World for cutting the master lacquers
    Us - page not archived
    Up - no mention of source

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  17. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

It wasn't an official site, so the information was probably wrong. Your info is probably correct.

Also, if these are from 96/24 files, what is the difference between the 96/24 download vs transferring them to vinyl?

18. Scott Wheeler

Nice find.

AnalogJ likes this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

The vinyl

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Matt Colton @ Alchemy can do lacquers from Analog Tapes. From the Alchemy page I see they have a Studer A80 with preview head. He cut the new release of Gong- Camembert Electrique. This is the info from the LP:

CHARLY L 117
    Issued in a replica of the original gatefold cover with 4 LP-sized inserts including new liner notes, credits, lyrics and a Charly Records advertising sheet
    This LP was recorded during full moons of May, & June & September, 1971 at Strawberry Studios ("Honky Chateau") Herrouville, Normandy, France
    Originally released in France during October 1971 by BYG Records (BYG 529 353)
    Tape restoration at Soundmastering Limited, London
    Pure analogue disc remastered at Alchemy Studios, London.
    Pressed by Optimal Media GmbH, Germany

21. AnalogJ

Stupid question, but do you need a special player or audio card to play or process 96/24 files?

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Alchemy's SX74 cutter head is from before digital delay heads even existed too right? Or is the ability for the head to convert digital to analogue something that can be done via a modification?

See one of Steve's posts here:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  23. Scott Wheeler

probably not. My old laptop handles 96/24 files. I think it's pretty standard for most computer's sound programs now

24. AnalogJ

So perhaps it's still up in the air as to whether these will be analog, or at least as analog as possible. But the fact that they're NOT touting analog makes me think that these won't be analog masters. I hope, still, they learned something from the Beatles In Mono LP set, that is, it's better sonically and for the fan base to go all analog.

25. Scott Wheeler

Guess we will find out. Head to head comparisons to the Classics 45 rpm are inevitable.

Gavinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.